Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2463 2464 [2465] 2466 2467 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788516 times)

Lim_Arcadia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36960 on: September 04, 2014, 02:46:16 am »

Trying to figure out why the Dwarven Liason seems suspiciously Goblinlike...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:49:43 am by Lim_Arcadia »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36961 on: September 04, 2014, 03:31:37 am »

Using a danger room on my "militia" (really, they're weak soldiers who'll use up leftover equipment and serve as meatshields) sounded great, rotate squads once in a while. I had eight carpenters making training spears. Easy enough to get a 4X6 room full of training spears attached to a lever. Got a guy pulling the lever. Then, after a lot of bruises, which I didn't see as a problem, one guy's left hand broke. I turned off the lever, let everyone leave. The injured guy went to the hospital, and has now rested for a little over a year, being given water regularly by, apparently, his mother. He's been diagnosed, and the doctors will fix other patients, just not him.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36962 on: September 04, 2014, 08:39:03 am »

Using a danger room on my "militia" (really, they're weak soldiers who'll use up leftover equipment and serve as meatshields) sounded great, rotate squads once in a while. I had eight carpenters making training spears. Easy enough to get a 4X6 room full of training spears attached to a lever. Got a guy pulling the lever. Then, after a lot of bruises, which I didn't see as a problem, one guy's left hand broke. I turned off the lever, let everyone leave. The injured guy went to the hospital, and has now rested for a little over a year, being given water regularly by, apparently, his mother. He's been diagnosed, and the doctors will fix other patients, just not him.

Make sure you have the needed materials for treatment - unwoven thread (suturing), cloth (wound dressing), gypsum plaster or splints (immobilisation), possibly a built traction bench (traction). Immobilisation is not always required, traction only very rarely; it's notified in the dwarf's "h"ealth page what they need. And of course, you need free dwarfs with the required jobs.

If it's not a problem of lacking materials/workers, you might want to check the bugtracker if that one's been updated; the problem sometimes surfaces - healthcare just conks out and stops treating a dwarf. It sometimes gets fixed when you deconstruct the bed the dwarf's lying in. If that doesn't work (i.e. dwarf keeps lying on the floor unconscious and isn't moved to a bed), build a cage trap underneath them. Unconscious dwarfs trigger traps, so once the trap is loaded, it will instantly cage them. Once the dwarf's in the cage, build the cage and release them again, that usually gets their behaviour rebooted.

Avorez

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36963 on: September 04, 2014, 09:26:46 am »

So, I recently started a new fort in 40.10 after much trial and error, and losing several forts to my lack of knowledge on how to manufacture alcohol. Thusly, my lessons have produced the fort Claspworlds.

Claspworlds is one of the first outposts in the world, they current year being 6. So far, the fort has survived a full year and is looking towards surviving into the second year with little-to-no issue. The population has grown from the Founding 7 to a healthy 50 dwarves, with the only death being a weaver who lost his mind and forgot to drink, dying of dehydration a little under a season later.

In the past year, the dwarves have established healthy farms as well as carving out the local mountain range into their refuge. Current objectives within the fort are:

1. Establish a more reliable system of metal production
2. Construct a wall securing the fortress entrance
3. Establish a functioning military
4. Carve out the Fortress Jail
5. Hunt down flux stone

Also, more than a little strangely, there haven't been any goblin incursions at all. Though, those knife-eared pansies have decided to swing by this most recent spring, bringing their trade goods but no diplomats.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36964 on: September 04, 2014, 11:11:31 am »

I got a new artifact:

I was wondering why he's taking so many stones to his workshop, now i know why. :o

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36965 on: September 04, 2014, 02:14:07 pm »

Version .40.11 seems to have made the Flying Dwarf Syndrome even worse than before. Whenever dwarves stray off their designated burrow area they may suddenly decide to jump aimlessly, occasionally crashing into walls or other dwarves. There are now ten dwarves lying around the fort with broken bones and/or internal injuries.

Looks like I'll have to recruit some more medical staff...
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36966 on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:15 pm »

Digging, Digging, Digging, Digging in the dirt.
Digging, Digging, Digging, Digging in the stone.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36967 on: September 04, 2014, 04:14:32 pm »

A clear sign of doom. After 25 years of feline indifference, a child was born in my fort that likes cats. Adoption followed promptly, ofcourse. Now I really need to start culling.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36968 on: September 04, 2014, 05:09:42 pm »

A GREMLIN SAVED MY FORT!!!

I had a room set up with all my fortresses levers, with a werebeast bitten dwarf in there, locked in. Suddenly, he withdrew from society. Using dwarf therapist, I checked what he wanted to do: metalsmith. He probably wanted to make armor, since he was a novice armor smith. So I let the lever puller out. Now no one's manning the levers, most people underground. A large siege showed up, and I sent someone to pull the levers. Except, they decided to attend a party after pulling one lever, which released five dogs. He leaves. No one's pulling levers. I was about to set up a burrow to get someone there, when one of the levers was pulled, with no dwarves! Every lever was pulled once, sadly, flooding my training room, but closing the gates, releasing 30 wolves and dogs, and causing a cave in on some crundles. I found out this was a gremlin. A GREMLIN SAVED THE FORTRESS!!! It also ran away instantly, so I couldn't reward him properly, with piles of gold and silver.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36969 on: September 04, 2014, 05:22:48 pm »

Isn't using a were as your lever-puller kind of risky? He'd be unavailable for about 3 days every month when he's in wereform. Which is exactly when you are likely to be attacked by another were creature. And when he's in wereform, you'd find it very awkward to send someone else in there to pull the levers.

I can see using a vampire (never takes time off to sleep, eat, or drink), despite the inevitable slowdown from no alcohol. But A were just seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36970 on: September 04, 2014, 05:36:25 pm »

It was practically a disaster: if it weren't for that gremlin, most people would be dead. I only had one vampire, and she's king of... Dead. She decided to jump the moat and actually just explode on impact. I was going to have her be my best military dwarf.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36971 on: September 04, 2014, 09:07:11 pm »

I found my fisherdwarves catching pond turtles out of the town well... not sure how to feel about that...

Also caught a giant cave swallow, another bird on this bird-laden fortress... I also have no idea what to do with broad beans, they grow on the island but apparently aren't food and can't be used in any way... considering making an item tumbler just to get use out of them...

In the meantime, my fortress' conspiracy to keep quarry bush leaves off the menu continues as the cavern we found did not have any cave moss or dwarven crop plants...

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36972 on: September 05, 2014, 09:17:28 am »

I have a law-giver human vampire diplomat running around my fortress at lightning speed with two armed guards lagging behind.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #36973 on: September 05, 2014, 11:39:07 am »

Had a mood with a gem cutter, and they made a "perfect gem," I didn't even know you could have artifact gems...

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36974 on: September 05, 2014, 11:49:08 am »

I have had the same weaponsmith create two artifact weapons. One was simply an iron spear, with no glitter to it, and the other was an iron shortsword. The shortsword had glitter, but it was iron, and at the time I was working with steel.
Pages: 1 ... 2463 2464 [2465] 2466 2467 ... 3835