Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2465 2466 [2467] 2468 2469 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789114 times)

Epthelyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #36990 on: September 06, 2014, 02:24:06 pm »

Wasn't paying attention yesterday evening and saved my fort during an elven siege. I started the game up to find that one of the elves has taken the door and there is absolutely nothing I can do to stop them :(
I was planning on locking that door...

Oh well, was only Spring of the 2nd year  :-\

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36991 on: September 06, 2014, 05:16:36 pm »

Oh no! There are carp in the river! It should be fine... Armok have mercy there spawning vicious little children!
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36992 on: September 06, 2014, 05:21:51 pm »

4 out of 6 of my marksdwarves refuse to equip bolts :/

Symptoms:
- There are plenty of bolts in the stockpile
- The bolts are not forbidden or dumped or being used for anything
- all but one of the marksdwarves have quivers
- The ammo (bolts) is assigned to my squad in military screen.
- Squad is set to Active/Training
- Schedule is set to Train (3 min) all year round.
- They do have an archery range designated. I even saw the two dwarves who actually have bolts use it once in a while.
- Game version is 40.10

Any ideas?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36993 on: September 06, 2014, 05:38:48 pm »

Double check on the quiver situation. Even if you have enough, they might not use them, but producing more worked for me when mine had the same problem.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36994 on: September 06, 2014, 10:42:26 pm »

Ahh, the fun of were armadillos.  Had one show up.  Bit a dwarf (I missed it in the logs) and then got smeared by my military.

A month later, the bit dwarf rampages in my dining room.

10 seconds later I have half as many dwarfs, a werearmadillo corpse, not enough coffins, and probably no more problem.

Well, you know, aside from the massive tantrum spiral.

Isharia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36995 on: September 07, 2014, 01:51:44 am »

I clearly need to do something with all of this stuff...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36996 on: September 07, 2014, 01:52:38 am »

q
select kitchen
lavish meals
Black lives matter.

Isharia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36997 on: September 07, 2014, 01:55:58 am »

yeah, im restarting cooking.  I had workflow on, which is what limited everything until it clearly spiraled out of control.

7 cooks / brewers just to reduce stock into lavish meals to give away pretty much.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:00:51 am by Isharia »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36998 on: September 07, 2014, 03:30:51 am »

An Elven caravan just arrived. They brought a tame leech. Only the elves would bring a tame leech.

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. How, exactly, does one go about taming a leech, anyways?

No, nevermind, I don't really want to know.

Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Keith

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #36999 on: September 07, 2014, 03:59:18 am »

I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I abandoned a burgeoning 59-dwarf fort after I lost a total of eight dwarfs to troglodytes. I could accept cave crocs or some random FB or animal men, but fucking troglodytes?
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37000 on: September 07, 2014, 10:00:46 am »

Seems my bane right now are werebeasts. Forgot to switch off invaders, and one showed up, a dozen civilians piled on top of it and all got bitten. So i crashed the game and took it up from the last save again.

There's definitely some sort of aggressiveness from civilians now - non-war dogs assaulted a kangaroo (which didn't properly fight back) and kept bothering it when it fainted from exertion, so i sent in the military. The kill was made by a civilian stonecrafter who had apparently decided to follow her husband into battle. She walked right up to the animal and wrestled it to death.

Good news: water "boulders" may no longer break bones by themselves, but water cannons still appear to be effective. A horse foal just died. The first hit didn't mean much, it was just struck by the filled cart and thrown across half the map. But when it then lay there unconscious, it was pushed a dozen steps further by an incoming blob of water and the skidding on the floor pulped its head. I'll have to see if i can get a cannon to work on an invadeable map, but i fully expect decent performance. Perhaps i should pick a volcano and go full magma?

Another bridge test, this time with random garbage, confirmed my previous findings - bridges throw stuff around, but the direction is absolutely random. They aren't (and probably never were) a replacement for catapults or anything that's supposed to put a projectile in a specific target. A 6x2 bridge flung items up to eight levels vertically and sixteen tiles horizontally. This suggests a simple application in fortress defence: shrapnel landmines. Have a bridge in an open-ceiling spot where hostiles may congregate. Load it with preposterous amounts of garbage. When large enemy forces are nearby, raise the bridge. Enemies may be hit by falling junk. Stone blocks should make for decent bulk scrap, but of course you can also use pointier items like trap components.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37001 on: September 07, 2014, 10:52:00 am »

I just learned that not all embark sites have as high elevation as what I'm accustomed to, so I might abandon my fortress due to the sheer lack of stone and underground z-levels. 5 layers between the surface and a cavern. I hope I didn't mess up advanced world gen because I love this world.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37002 on: September 07, 2014, 11:03:02 am »

During worldgen, at the year 89 it became the Age of Legends. In the year 90 it became the Second Age of Myth. I want to think of this as, as the peoples of the world celebrated the claim of the fall of the megabeasts, a bunch of hydras, dragons, rocs, and bronze colossi stood up and said "Nope!".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37003 on: September 07, 2014, 11:05:53 am »

During worldgen, at the year 89 it became the Age of Legends. In the year 90 it became the Second Age of Myth. I want to think of this as, as the peoples of the world celebrated the claim of the fall of the megabeasts, a bunch of hydras, dragons, rocs, and bronze colossi stood up and said "Nope!".

Or a bunch of hydras, dragons, and rocs (among other things,) decided to get "busy."

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37004 on: September 07, 2014, 11:13:47 am »

The temporary fort is set up, and the permanent fort is being dug out. Rock crafts are being manufactured, and a miner went on break.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 2465 2466 [2467] 2468 2469 ... 3835