Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2466 2467 [2468] 2469 2470 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787023 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37005 on: September 07, 2014, 02:06:38 pm »

Had a small "ambush" of a single kobold swordsman in the summer of the first year of my new fort. The kobold hardly did anything, just sneaked around killing wild badgers with his copper shortsword before getting discovered and fleeing.

Odd. Oh well, free badger meat, right?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37006 on: September 07, 2014, 02:22:43 pm »

2nd winter of my first fort in over a year.    I had genned a medium world with about 4 dwarf civs surviving and used the legends viewer to make sure I picked the most beleaguered dwarf nation.  I've had several very small sieges, my fourth is a mob of elf corpses from the south.  They uncover a small elf ambush squad of four.  For the last 30 minutes I've watched the elves each fighting off a mob of zombies, with at least one of the elves hitting legendary and no fatalities on either side.  Damn hippie weapons.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #37007 on: September 07, 2014, 04:03:41 pm »

How do you fix the issue where there's no option to brew? It's a frozen embark and for some reason my civ didn't have access to any food.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37008 on: September 07, 2014, 04:37:16 pm »

My dwarves ran out of drink twice, but I've managed to stabilize the supply.

Also, I took a look at a statue I had created and a bunch of carvings. The statue was of a LEECH. There were 3 carvings of the same civilization, one of circles, one of hamsters, one of another one of my dwarves (surrounded by plants, even though they were a miner) and another one of a minotaur called Outsweatblood.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37009 on: September 07, 2014, 04:43:56 pm »

Oh no! There are carp in the river! It should be fine... Armok have mercy there spawning vicious little children!

Yea, I have carp in my river, and while they haven't bred yet, I was going over the .40.x changes and thinking about my fort, and I realized that all non-egg layers like carp, other large fish, potentially even snakes (if they don't have the egg-laying tags) will probably now have live births of 1 young at a time.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37010 on: September 07, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »

Hammerer just splattered some poor guy's brains all over the wall with an adamantine warhammer.

Pretty sure he's a vampire.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37011 on: September 07, 2014, 05:09:45 pm »

Not very surprisingly, a _powerless_ magma cannon is a bit limited in its usefulness. It works, but cadence is on the low side - just over one shot per hundred steps (although those are shots at ~80% of terminal velocity, with lower shot speed, higher cadence should be possible). Extra minecarts in the barrel absolutely need rollers, thus power. The cannon would also need a pump to have enough magma to work with.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37012 on: September 07, 2014, 06:15:11 pm »

stealthed werebeasts are the new source of FUN now. case and point, a wereopposum sneaked its way into my fort and was discovered only after it crossed my lockdown bridge. The beast then proceeded to devastate my fort, leaving one dwarf dead and two infected in the first year.

the only thing worse is probably werecats since they come with legendary climber.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37013 on: September 07, 2014, 07:00:02 pm »

stealthed werebeasts are the new source of FUN now. case and point, a wereopposum sneaked its way into my fort and was discovered only after it crossed my lockdown bridge. The beast then proceeded to devastate my fort, leaving one dwarf dead and two infected in the first year.

the only thing worse is probably werecats since they come with legendary climber.
No, Wereelk can be worse. They can gore 6 Dwarves and infect another in short order. Also, look at the STEALTHED WEREMAMMOTHS thread...
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37014 on: September 07, 2014, 07:11:11 pm »

How do you fix the issue where there's no option to brew? It's a frozen embark and for some reason my civ didn't have access to any food.

Do you have both a breable plant and a barrel/large pot to put the booze in? If you're missing either one, you won't have the option to brew.

My bet is you're out of barrels.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37015 on: September 07, 2014, 08:47:08 pm »

Loving my newest embark. Casseterite, tetrahedrite, malachite, lignite, bitumous coal, limonite, hematite, and marble all within six z-levels of the surface stream, both up into the hills and down into the earth. Trained my smiths up on copper and bronze and now they're working with steel all before a major invasion has come. I forsee good things with this fort.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #37016 on: September 07, 2014, 09:57:38 pm »

I returned to a fortress after not playing for a while and, due to a mistake involving its quarantine procedures, released a dwarf that I should have recognized as an obvious vampire. He immediately killed the commander of my sword squad.

He's now locked safely in the vampire cell. When his sentence expires, I'll activate the spikes and he'll join his brother in the Tombs of Perpetual Shame, near the surface in the jail instead of in the main tombs deep under the earth.

We're at war with the elves and the goblins, but the goblins must be spread thin after conquering so many other sites in my fortress's first two years: the last several "sieges" have been outnumbered four to one by the militiadwarves that I bothered to send out. The elves have been even more scarce: they've only sent one party in the several years my fortress has been here.

FPS has been dropping dramatically, so it may soon be time to retire this fortress.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37017 on: September 08, 2014, 01:25:43 am »

Woop woop, caged a minotaur.

Any idea what do I do with it?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37018 on: September 08, 2014, 06:00:08 am »

Woop woop, caged a minotaur.

Any idea what do I do with it?
When an FB comes, let then fight to the death. If he dies, throw in some trolls. Good way to kill prisoners and Beasts.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37019 on: September 08, 2014, 08:01:20 am »

I found a magma pool fairly close to the surface, so that's what I'm gonna be using for fuel from now on.

Never used one before. Does the magma run out if you don't refuel it?

EDIT: shit. I just checked the wiki. That is awesome.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:03:39 am by PDF urist master »
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 2466 2467 [2468] 2469 2470 ... 3835