Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2467 2468 [2469] 2470 2471 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787559 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37020 on: September 08, 2014, 09:11:21 am »

I found a magma pool fairly close to the surface, so that's what I'm gonna be using for fuel from now on.

Never used one before. Does the magma run out if you don't refuel it?

EDIT: shit. I just checked the wiki. That is awesome.

Yeah. Cooking with magma is da bomb.

Given how much wood spawns on trees these days, though, it really isn't that necessary to worry about fuel.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37021 on: September 08, 2014, 09:46:29 am »

Been playing an updated version of my Random Embark and Skill-Lock challenge.  Had one of the best starts I've ever had with it.  Got a carpenter, mechanic, architect, and wood burner in my starting group, only 1-z in the aquifer, and the first migrant wave brought me a coveted wood-cutter.

Breach the aquifer and drain it into the caverns, kill a reacher without taking any losses beyond an injured grunt farmer who wandered into harms way.  Fortify the cavern layer to keep the nasties at bay, start getting the walls up, and my industries finally start coming together.

And then the wereskink arrives.  We take it down with a few injuries.  And then a month later, the entire squad that took it down transform.

I'm at the very tail end of a whicked tantrum/werebeast spiral.  I have 2 dwarves left, 1 is a werebeast, the other isn't; both are miserable.  Just waiting for the inevitable at this point.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37022 on: September 08, 2014, 10:14:47 am »

I caught a giant cave spider and a cave croc. Weaponization is still in progress though as there's a goblin siege out side that I have to worry about.

turns out my previous wall design, while preventing goblins from climbing in, does not prevent marksdwarves from climbing out. I'm devoting a lot of dwarfpower to fix that.

On a happier note, the giant dingoes are at war with the siege now. Hopefully the dingoes will chase them away, though from what i've seen so far they need at least a 3 to 1 advantage.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37023 on: September 08, 2014, 11:35:57 am »

Decided that I didn't have enough meat and that my military was sitting idle a little too much. Instructed my swordmasters to go out and kill a pack of giant wild boars to celebrate our becoming a barony. Now my chef is making masterpiece giant wild boar roasts.

Let us feast!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37024 on: September 08, 2014, 11:51:27 am »

Decided to make a 6 wide, 16 deep moat around my castle, just because. It's surrounded by fortifications, immediatly in front of walls, minus some ballista shot points, that so far haven't been used much. The roof I put on already does it's job, but a huge ditch with black and grizzly bears in the bottom never hurt. Man... I never knew how slow fifty legendary miners could dig.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37025 on: September 08, 2014, 03:03:19 pm »

FIFTY??!!!!!!!!
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37026 on: September 08, 2014, 03:07:50 pm »

I just started a new fort. Finally found a nice forest with both untamed + joyous wilds, sand, goblin as neighbor and flux stone. Let the slaughter begin.

FIFTY??!!!!!!!!

It is terrifying.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37027 on: September 08, 2014, 03:11:38 pm »

Every single migrant who showed up for the first two years were shoved into either plant gathering, mining, or masonry.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #37028 on: September 08, 2014, 04:35:15 pm »

Note to self: when your only source of armour-grade metal is adamantine, take special care not to accidentally flood the shaft with magma.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37029 on: September 08, 2014, 05:25:39 pm »

Note to self: when your only source of armour-grade metal is adamantine, take special care not to accidentally flood the shaft with magma.
Accidents are just plans implemented too early

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37030 on: September 08, 2014, 06:28:39 pm »

Four windmills, four rollers, one pump and the fortress of Towerbuck is now the proud owner of a fully automatic magma cannon. Cadence is pretty decent - three shots per 90 steps, running on four (iron) carts. We'll have to correct for westward drift and it takes a bit to gear up, but once it got going, it throws magma an impressive distance downrange - about 50 tiles.
There's a stable three-shot pattern with periods of 48, 21 and 21 steps. I'll pretend it's a 48-step "recover" period and a three-shot burst in 42 steps. In any case, it's about 2,5x the optimum cadence of the powerless design, which also doesn't hold for more than about a dozen shots, since without a pump, it'll deplete the loading pond faster than natural flow can replenish it. If you want a powerless minecart liquid cannon, use water.

Now to shore everything up and invite the goblins for a visit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37031 on: September 08, 2014, 06:31:35 pm »

ascii art:
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37032 on: September 08, 2014, 06:36:59 pm »

Even with the well, somebody dehydrated. Carp.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37033 on: September 08, 2014, 06:40:56 pm »

Even with the well, somebody dehydrated. Carp.

Yes, if you build a well over a pond with a carp in it and keep using the well, eventually the carp gets dehydrated.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37034 on: September 08, 2014, 06:46:55 pm »

the fort hero of the year goes to helmet snake 1, who bravely perished in combat with a towering scorpion. during the fight the snake managed to wound him, injecting a fatal dosage of necrosis causing venom.

The beast is currently dying. hopfully the fort can harvest its corpse so I could make delicious beast biscuits.

RIP: helmet snake 1

medal of legendary bravery.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 2467 2468 [2469] 2470 2471 ... 3835