Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2479 2480 [2481] 2482 2483 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864204 times)

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37200 on: September 21, 2014, 09:59:11 am »

Well, I just had a woodchopper pull a honey badger to the ground by its toe, then punch it and explode its head. I also have 4 IDENTICAL engravings of a named grizzly bear settling in the Rhythmic Jungle, and several almost identical pictures of Onul Diamond-Treasures, god of wealth. I've also managed to annoy the mountainhome traders by offering to sell them tons of fine or better (really nice!) chalk toys for steel. Bah, I didn't know they would be offended by that!

My brother also, for laughs (originally by mistake), got several Shy Guy miners (Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom mod) to channel over a large area and over several z-levels. Cave-ins were plenty, but surprisingly none died. There were some cool bits, like when one landed on his head but was fine, and when another landed on his face (his copper mask absorbed the impact.)
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37201 on: September 21, 2014, 10:18:21 am »

drowned two of my dwarves in my cistern due to improper drainage procedure...

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37202 on: September 21, 2014, 10:29:14 am »

A werebear showed up after a caravan. WEREBEAR? I had no defences. It went down to the trade depot and proceeded to get stabbed in the face three times by the dwarven merchant guards and die. I checked the logs... it was a CHILD. :(

I dragged his corpse into a traditional 1Zchannel grave with a hatch overtop and put an engraved memorial up front. The horror.
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37203 on: September 21, 2014, 01:08:01 pm »

My fort was graced by a courtesy call from one Ngopex Rushan Mothi, a mandibled sauropod composed of vomit and armed with toxic spittle. Fortunately[citation needed] the creature got stuck between the edge of the map, two Tower-Cap trunks, and a tall column of gabbro.

"Oo, a chance to earn some bragging rights! Vomit creatures fall apart from the slightest tap, right?"
I set about carving fortifications into the gabbro pillar so my marksdorfs could go and take pot-shots at the Vomitosaurus. During this process, one hapless builder took a glob of forgotten beast extract to the lower body.

"Uh-oh."  ???
I followed her around for a bit, waiting for symptoms to emerge.
"Hm. Just some temporary dizziness and nausea, it seems. No biggie."
She sloughs off to her bed to sleep it off.

The excavation continues. Miners use their picks to swat any offending spittle off the air. Everything is peachy keen.
"Hey, free dodging practice to boot! Win-win!"

[some time later]
"Uh, why is there a bedroom full of miasma over there?"
"Oh, it's just a Builder rotten corp... Wait, what?"

Meanwhile, the marksdwarves swarm in the corridor behind the fortifications. Their commander has actually had the presence of mind to fill his quiver, and has fractured most of Gooey McVomit's limbs. The Forgotten Beast has grown a -«bismuth bronze horn»- on the forehead.
A war dog has also taken a hit from the projectile vomit. Since she's smaller than a dorf, the symptoms emerge faster. Soon, the mutt starts retching and vomiting uncontrollably.
[v]iew unit
"How peculiar. Other than numbness, there's no damage showing in the injuries list. Let's see..."
[z]
Her pancreas is rotten.
[ohcrap.png]  :o

For the time being, any further attempts to get rid of Pukeasaurus Rex have been called off.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37204 on: September 21, 2014, 02:51:37 pm »

Migrated the save to 40.13. Hey, why is the floor suddenly green? Ohhh... cave adaptation. I guess it's time to think about a meeting hall with a sun roof.

Meanwhile, firmly underground, the construction of Minotaur Love Shack is nearing completion. I plan to see if my captive minotaur couple can be encouraged to produce some bovine babies to make the world a little more dangerous place.

Most probably they can't reproduce, or if they can, they'll probably kill their young as soon as it's birthed. Still, it's an experiment worth doing.

Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #37205 on: September 21, 2014, 03:41:21 pm »

Migrated the save to 40.13.
I'm doing that for mine right now.
Hey, devlog shows some exciting news: Fruit harvesting is up next.
But first, thoughts get redone.
Cooool.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37206 on: September 21, 2014, 05:41:45 pm »

One of my dorfs has mooded into becoming a legendary bowyer, but her artistic ability tends somewhat towards the eerily prescient and outright sarcastic.

This is an ashen blowgun. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with ash and encircled with bands of ash.
On the item is an image of a rodent man and Marshtaxes the crundle in ash. The rodent man is making a plaintive gesture. Marshtaxes is striking a menacing pose. The artwork relates to the mortal wounding of a rodent man by the crundle Marshtaxes in Hallabbey in the late summer of 250.

I can only assume the choice of blowgun was to take the piss out of the rodent man tribe. I haven't even opened the caverns yet though. How did she know there's a named Crundle down there?
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37207 on: September 21, 2014, 08:54:57 pm »

I wasn't going to post the pix tonight, but being a new page... y'know.

The parrot beast got to my bait hall before it was finished. I didn't have time to remove the bait.
When the bird flies away, I send the axes to cleanup, and the dog gets knocked back downstairs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Forges are working, but not isolated yet.
The mayor continues to mandate gauntlets for our mostly leather-clad militia.
Mechanism stack is almost complete.
A siege ups my zombie count. I counteract this by butchering some of my llama population.
Receive obligitory Legendary Llama Wool Thong shortly after ...

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37208 on: September 21, 2014, 11:43:24 pm »

So... much... gold...

:o

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37209 on: September 22, 2014, 12:44:18 am »

Well, I need to know if were-creature bites count if they only bruised fat or not. I'm on the verge of losing quite a few people because these things are trap immune for some stupid reason.

EDIT: Six people either infected or possibly infected with werelizard-ness. Mid spring year 2.

EDIT 2: Scratch that, five. One of them bled out.

EDIT 3: I'm now up to six deaths and seven infected. It took a whole month to dig out a couple quick cells and try to rig them up to keep these bastards alive long enough to even see what would happen. One of them turned in the hospital because treating him was taking forever. Now I have a third of my fort either dead or infected and no idea if I'm going to be able to contain them. I couldn't even get the emergency levers pulled. Nobody even tried to pull them. This is turning into a major problem.

Yet another EDIT: Containment is successful. I even managed to keep the suspected infected separate from the confirmed. If cell 1 doesn't turn this month I'll let them out. The rest of them will just have to accept their fate.

And a final EDIT: Thanks to a loyalty cascade out of fucking nowhere and unstoppable camel skeleton I now have five dwarves left. Fuck this. Maybe I'll try another fortress when I forget why I stopped playing this game again...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:34:49 am by Mentalpatient87 »
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37210 on: September 22, 2014, 06:34:21 am »

Well, I had were-troubles as well, but not that bad (yet?).
Yesterday, just before I went to bed, a wereraccoon showed up. Damn, that beast was fast. While it didn't do much damage per attack, it bit one of my hunters so often, the poor guy bled to death, even before a second hunter could manage to walk back to the main entrance of the fortress. The second hunter nearly faced the same fate, yet after receiving some bites the full moon ended, and suddenly a puzzled human found himself tangled in the bloody beard of a dwarf... Well, the surprised human ran away, and the hunter went to hospital. I was surprised he managed to get there on his own feet. After his wounds were patched up by one of my medics experimental medicists, I tried to keep him separated from the rest of the fortress, in case he was infected. When the next full moon approached he didn't transform. Quite surprising, considering that after the fight he was basically a set of bite wounds, connected by dwarfen body tissue... He recovered surprisingly quickly from his wounds and is now back to work again, yet I don't fully trust that he really isn't infected. Maybe I should send him off to a remote edge of the map on the next full moon again, so I can lock him out, just in case?

On the other hand, my fortress has just been promoted to barony, and that even though I didn't find the time yet to make bedrooms for all its inhabitants... Next step will be to improve the defensive installations de-goblin-ators. Then I think I'll go for the magma. While converting wood to fuel works nicely, magma is just more dwarfen, and a barony that even hasn't breached the caverns yet might be the #1 joke the dwarfen traders tell when they get back to the mountainhome from my little settlement...
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37211 on: September 22, 2014, 08:50:59 am »

my king just showed up with an outpost liason, his queen and no kingsguard. guess he didn't feel like he needed protection.

I anticipate that we're going to see a lot more goblin sieges now.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37212 on: September 22, 2014, 11:02:59 am »

I think Dwarf Fortress just enacted the old, old joke... there is now an elephant sitting in a lime tree.

Maybe it really did stand on a sapling when it grew into a tree...

I'd cut the tree down but there is a very real risk that the woodcutter would get a ton of angry pachyderm on his head.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37213 on: September 22, 2014, 01:49:55 pm »

I should rename my fortress "The house of horror". Not only I've got a vampire on the loose, I had werebeast pandemic just recently and now everyone is horrified at werebeast bodyparts. How do I get rid of them, they don't go to refuse, or garbage dump.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37214 on: September 22, 2014, 02:19:34 pm »

I departed from embark with a proficient biter. After they trained up to professional teacher they are now leading BITING DEMONSTRATIONS. I can only imagine rows of dwarves snapping at the air in unison.
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.
Pages: 1 ... 2479 2480 [2481] 2482 2483 ... 3836