Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2481 2482 [2483] 2484 2485 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854396 times)

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37230 on: September 23, 2014, 11:15:01 am »

Weretortoise killed one of my hunters and was never seen again. Later, one of my legendary miners somehow drowned himself in the reservoir. Oh, and I won't get any further elven caravans... my civilization is at war with the elves, but at peace with the kobolds. I hope for some elven siege or anything like that. I didn't slaughter any elves lately.

Oh, I just realized like 90% of the important people of my dwarven civilization are goblins - what the hell? Did I miss something there? I already wondered why they send me a goblin liaison.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:32:21 am by rumpel »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37231 on: September 23, 2014, 11:29:42 am »

Can it be there's a wrong check involved when dwarfs end up in too much water? I had a few cases where a dwarf cancelled getting out of the water with a "dangerous terrain" message, when they were in 7/7 water right next to safe terrain, i.e. they refused to escape to safety because their current location, not the one they were trying to go to, was unsafe.

Ho hum, i just crashed the game and reverted to the start of the year.

Had a digging accident while retrieving some of the hematite that was right next to the ocean: i erroneously designated an actual border tile for digging. Fortunately, it only opened a diagonal breach, so the miners survived, but the area picked up water too fast to wall off, drowning the exploration/quarry shaft so i had to drive down a new parallel shaft for rock supply and eventually sump access. Fiddling around with two pumps and a few hundred unsuspensions of building jobs got the breach contained and the water in the shaft was removed via door-smashing.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37232 on: September 23, 2014, 11:31:10 am »

Can it be there's a wrong check involved when dwarfs end up in too much water? I had a few cases where a dwarf cancelled getting out of the water with a "dangerous terrain" message, when they were in 7/7 water right next to safe terrain, i.e. they refused to escape to safety because their current location, not the one they were trying to go to, was unsafe.

Ho hum, i just crashed the game and reverted to the start of the year.

Had a digging accident while retrieving some of the hematite that was right next to the ocean: i erroneously designated an actual border tile for digging. Fortunately, it only opened a diagonal breach, so the miners survived, but the area picked up water too fast to wall off, drowning the exploration/quarry shaft so i had to drive down a new parallel shaft for rock supply and eventually sump access. Fiddling around with two pumps and a few hundred unsuspensions of building jobs got the breach contained and the water in the shaft was removed via door-smashing.
I dig out aquifers for wells frequently and they have no issue getting out, even climbing when I screw up the staircases.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37233 on: September 23, 2014, 11:56:55 am »

Were they in 7/7 or shallower water? Aquifer tiles don't fill up instantly (that said, yea, i never have trouble digging around aquifers, either; it's a problem with already-flooded areas). My case was a dwarf sitting in 7/7 water immediately adjacent to an unforbidden closed door. They never thought about just opening the door (explicitly cancelled a job that would have required passing the door - and thus staying alive). The door was quite definitely not dangerous terrain, only the dwarf's own square was.

Having closed ceiling directly above might be an important contribution to the problem. Piercing flooded areas on a diagonal is safe enough, it was just a matter of identifying the problem.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37234 on: September 23, 2014, 06:14:59 pm »

My v34.11 Fort is struggling against a husk rabbit that seems unkillable due to it's size. Militia took off its legs, but now it's just a big ball of fluff with ears rolling around. Which reminds me of another fluffball pair of ears. ZzarkLinux cancels post: playing with bun. Anyway, the militia keeps rolling it around corners, giving other militia time to de-aggro and go eat and other stuff. Hoping they bisect it eventually.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37235 on: September 23, 2014, 06:18:09 pm »

My v34.11 Fort is struggling against a husk rabbit that seems unkillable due to it's size. Militia took off its legs, but now it's just a big ball of fluff with ears rolling around. Which reminds me of another fluffball pair of ears. ZzarkLinux cancels post: playing with bun. Anyway, the militia keeps rolling it around corners, giving other militia time to de-aggro and go eat and other stuff. Hoping they bisect it eventually.
Some of the best training Ive ever given militia is trying to kill a chicken head husk from 34.11.  Wash em off and let em rip.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #37236 on: September 24, 2014, 11:08:26 am »

Sounds like you need a Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch...
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37237 on: September 24, 2014, 03:37:56 pm »

Just when Searingmine's myriad FPS-eating animals got finally all turned into roasts, soaps and bolts, a whole herd of elephants walks into the cage traps.

Now what would I do with them... will it be butcher shop or war training? I heard elephants can actually survive by grazing in this version.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37238 on: September 24, 2014, 03:44:51 pm »

Shove them in a cage near the fort's entrance. Link to a lever, wait until next siege and pull.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37239 on: September 24, 2014, 03:53:20 pm »

I'm having trouble making my masons build a stone bridge-ish pathway into the sky. The building itself is okay. They just keep suspending building the walls for it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37240 on: September 24, 2014, 04:58:27 pm »

I'm having trouble making my masons build a stone bridge-ish pathway into the sky. The building itself is okay. They just keep suspending building the walls for it.
Are you using the newest release? A couple of bugfixes ago a bug was fixed that caused masons to stand on the tile they were trying to build on and so cancel the construction.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Ganb

• Bay Watcher
  • Beast Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37241 on: September 24, 2014, 05:17:07 pm »

Just got a migrant engraver who, "personally finds art offensive and would have it destroyed whenever possible".
You need to find the most exotic animal pet you can, and then breed a war party of them. Have a beastmaster as your only guardian, wrapped in adamantium with a platinum war hammer that is backed by savage giant beasts from around the world.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37242 on: September 24, 2014, 05:17:24 pm »

Just got a migrant engraver who, "personally finds art offensive and would have it destroyed whenever possible".
Modernist.
PKs DF Mod!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37243 on: September 24, 2014, 07:21:20 pm »

My queen (she liked gauntlets so I named her Fingercuffs to track her mood, and later she became queen) finds nature disturbing, and doesn't care for art, but she appreciates serenity and the effort that goes into making fine art.

The champion Doomgirl (obvious reasons, she is the doom of all that approach her legendary artifact murderzone) hates serenity but likes art, though she hates artists.

Oh, and she later became a baroness and then duchess, so I get to see "Doomgirl, the Duchess of Twinklequake" every day. Awesome.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37244 on: September 25, 2014, 02:42:55 am »

Shove them in a cage near the fort's entrance. Link to a lever, wait until next siege and pull.

Wouldn't they starve in  a cage? Besides, it would be overkill since there are no sieges in Searingmines. There have been a few minotaurs and cyclops but those things are so wimpy that children could handle them.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 2481 2482 [2483] 2484 2485 ... 3836