Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2482 2483 [2484] 2485 2486 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787449 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37245 on: September 25, 2014, 06:29:03 am »

Shove them in a cage near the fort's entrance. Link to a lever, wait until next siege and pull.

Wouldn't they starve in  a cage? Besides, it would be overkill since there are no sieges in Searingmines. There have been a few minotaurs and cyclops but those things are so wimpy that children could handle them.
Last I checked wild animals don't need to eat and even domesticated ones in cage don't. I guess war you could pasture and breed them( a giant one).
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37246 on: September 25, 2014, 06:36:46 am »

A giant attacked the fortress and promptly walked into a cage trap set to catch capybaras. Now I need to figure out what to do with him. The fort is full of engravings of the guy because he has been rampaging for years and years in the region, so he's quite the prize... I just don't know if I trust his little wooden cage enough to set him up in the dining room.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37247 on: September 25, 2014, 10:28:23 am »

I've had some exciting times with this current fort of mine.

Got attacked early-ish on by a human civ (which I later found out was quite far away) who came with a handful of soldiers, two consorts, and about a dozen human/elf zombies.  No necromancer, fortunately, but the zombies killed off my two squads and damn near triggered a tantrum spiral that ended the fort right there. 

Several years, many traps, a couple of tunnels, and about three (unintended) sacrificial babies later, and the zombie threat was finally eliminated. 

In the meantime, while I had elven traders the first year, apparently war broke out after that and has been going on for over a decade since.  Up until recently, this fort hadn't really seen much action.  One, maybe two small ambush squads showed up but that was it. 

Then one day, I see the ambush alert pop up again.  Going to check one of my murder tunnels, I see a couple of war grizzly bears getting pulped in the trap corridor.  I'm thinking, okay, they're finally sending a bit larger group.  But then I notice that there are no elves.  Just war grizzly bears.

And then they keep coming.

By the time there are no more ambush alerts, there are some 80-ish invaders consisting of war grizzly bears, war bobcats, and elves.  Even though I thought I had made a generously large hallway of death, they managed to jam every single trap with bear corpses and were now steadily triggering all of the cage traps behind those.  I had to seal off that entrance as there were still a couple dozen left at least, and my military was practically non-existent.  Some stragglers got pulped at the main entrance which was apparently enough to make the rest decide to leave. 

In the interim, I increased the size of the murder tunnel, and rebuilt the traps to have exceptional or higher mechanisms.  Also got several squads going. 

Eventually, the elves and pets return, this time deciding to eschew the murder tunnel entrance and going straight to the front gate.  My barracks was close to the entrance, but there was hardly anyone in there, and I wanted the traps to soften up the invading force first.  But when I ordered everyone deeper into the fort, two dwarves got line of sight on the bastards and moved to engage.  I figured they would be dead immediately against such odds, but when it seemed that they were holding ground, I ordered the rest of the military to hurry their asses and support these guys.  It turned out to not be necessary, as those two dwarves killed off most everything left.  My spearmaster got 20+ kills and my mace lord got 14, I think.

I was suspicious of the human civilization that was trading with me, as their diplomat was an amphibian woman vampire, but they seemed to be well behaved.  Well, that's not true.  I did find one dwarf murdered and drained of blood, but then the game crashed and after going back from the last save that didn't happen again.  However, I was keeping a close eye on her from then on.  When I actually saw her veer into the bedroom section, I quickly ordered a squad over there, but they were too late.  So much for that legendary bone carver.  On the upside, the hallways got a nice new coat of amphibian woman blood paint.  That human civ doesn't seem to be upset that I killed their diplomat yet.  Yet. 

Another couple of dwarf deaths put me into near panic mode, as I couldn't figure out what killed them.  I finally turned to dfhack to check the cause of death, and they both had died of old age!  Well, that was a first.  In fact, this fort has been running for so long (at least compared to my previous forts) that I've had 50-ish children grow into farm slavesadults. 

With so many dwarves now, my trade economy solely consists of trading old, worn, dyed clothing that the dwarves are discarding.  I can pretty much buy everything I want from the caravans using "gently used" clothing as money.  Or, if I just have to have that ☼«≡steel flask≡»☼ to melt down (nothing to make coke with on this map makes me sad), I can throw in a prepared food pot and that usually puts me way over. 

I've had one miner that seems to be involved in every cave in accident this fort has had.  As of now, he has an artery torn in his right lower leg, tissue cut apart in his upper spine, motor and sensory nerves severed in his right lower leg, and is now a level 31 crutch walker.  I think I'll nickname him "lucky".

Apparently everyone in this fort really, really hates trolls, because half of all engravings/decorations involve trolls getting killed by elves.  Seriously, guys. 

I managed to hand-pick a duchess that has no item preferences, so no mandates from her.  Unfortunately, one of my dwarves was the descendant of a duke who has apparently died, and he's got a penchant for BDSM as he's always wanting chains and traction benches constructed  >_>

So now it's on to fun projects like expanding my indoor tree farm, having the ability to flood the surface with magma just incase those goddamn zombies return, and completely securing the caverns. 

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37248 on: September 25, 2014, 10:36:29 am »

Last I checked wild animals don't need to eat and even domesticated ones in cage don't. I guess war you could pasture and breed them( a giant one).

Well, war training won, for now... they're currently chilling on a gigantic outdoor area while underground pastures grow sufficient amounts of cave flora for them to eat. One of them rewarded my efforts with three calves.

I don't actually need them for anything but it's nice to have some elephants that won't starve, just for novelty's sake. Maybe I'll come up with some way to use them.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37249 on: September 25, 2014, 10:41:52 am »

So, my vampire axe lord is getting released from prison. Unfortunately broken neck doesn't seem to kill him. I can only imagine that he wanders around my fort, unable to breath, grasp and stand, using only his teeth to drag himself around.

And oh look, it's a freaking dragon chasing wombats in the woods, causing forest fires and putting my game in perpetual state of pause.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:47:58 am by Sirbug »
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37250 on: September 25, 2014, 12:36:51 pm »

Grazers confined n a cage will definitely starve to death. I've had more than a few that I bought from caravans die when i forgot to stick them in a pasture. Non-grazers can safely be confined in a cage forever. Or until they died of natural causes. Or until they are unleashed on a goblin horde and get slaughtered. But I guess in a dwarf fortress, that counts as "natural causes".

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37251 on: September 25, 2014, 12:43:24 pm »

Oh well. while I was rebuilding the bridge to get to the dragon, human caravan showed up and killed him.

Now my whole exterior is covered in some weird pits, roads are destroyed and glory is never to be found.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37252 on: September 25, 2014, 02:21:22 pm »

I've had some exciting times with this current fort of mine.

Got attacked early-ish on by a human civ (which I later found out was quite far away) who came with a handful of soldiers, two consorts, and about a dozen human/elf zombies.  No necromancer, fortunately, but the zombies killed off my two squads and damn near triggered a tantrum spiral that ended the fort right there. 

Several years, many traps, a couple of tunnels, and about three (unintended) sacrificial babies later, and the zombie threat was finally eliminated. 

In the meantime, while I had elven traders the first year, apparently war broke out after that and has been going on for over a decade since.  Up until recently, this fort hadn't really seen much action.  One, maybe two small ambush squads showed up but that was it. 

Then one day, I see the ambush alert pop up again.  Going to check one of my murder tunnels, I see a couple of war grizzly bears getting pulped in the trap corridor.  I'm thinking, okay, they're finally sending a bit larger group.  But then I notice that there are no elves.  Just war grizzly bears.

By the time there are no more ambush alerts, there are some 80-ish invaders consisting of war grizzly bears, war bobcats, and elves.  Even though I thought I had made a generously large hallway of death, they managed to jam every single trap with bear corpses and were now steadily triggering all of the cage traps behind those.  I had to seal off that entrance as there were still a couple dozen left at least, and my military was practically non-existent.  Some stragglers got pulped at the main entrance which was apparently enough to make the rest decide to leave. 

In the interim, I increased the size of the murder tunnel, and rebuilt the traps to have exceptional or higher mechanisms.  Also got several squads going. 

Eventually, the elves and pets return, this time deciding to eschew the murder tunnel entrance and going straight to the front gate.  My barracks was close to the entrance, but there was hardly anyone in there, and I wanted the traps to soften up the invading force first.  But when I ordered everyone deeper into the fort, two dwarves got line of sight on the bastards and moved to engage.  I figured they would be dead immediately against such odds, but when it seemed that they were holding ground, I ordered the rest of the military to hurry their asses and support these guys.  It turned out to not be necessary, as those two dwarves killed off most everything left.  My spearmaster got 20+ kills and my mace lord got 14, I think.

I was suspicious of the human civilization that was trading with me, as their diplomat was an amphibian woman vampire, but they seemed to be well behaved.  Well, that's not true.  I did find one dwarf murdered and drained of blood, but then the game crashed and after going back from the last save that didn't happen again.  However, I was keeping a close eye on her from then on.  When I actually saw her veer into the bedroom section, I quickly ordered a squad over there, but they were too late.  So much for that legendary bone carver.  On the upside, the hallways got a nice new coat of amphibian woman blood paint.  That human civ doesn't seem to be upset that I killed their diplomat yet.  Yet. 

Another couple of dwarf deaths put me into near panic mode, as I couldn't figure out what killed them.  I finally turned to dfhack to check the cause of death, and they both had died of old age!  Well, that was a first.  In fact, this fort has been running for so long (at least compared to my previous forts) that I've had 50-ish children grow into farm slavesadults. 

With so many dwarves now, my trade economy solely consists of trading old, worn, dyed clothing that the dwarves are discarding.  I can pretty much buy everything I want from the caravans using "gently used" clothing as money.  Or, if I just have to have that ☼«≡steel flask≡»☼ to melt down (nothing to make coke with on this map makes me sad), I can throw in a prepared food pot and that usually puts me way over. 

I've had one miner that seems to be involved in every cave in accident this fort has had.  As of now, he has an artery torn in his right lower leg, tissue cut apart in his upper spine, motor and sensory nerves severed in his right lower leg, and is now a level 31 crutch walker.  I think I'll nickname him "lucky".

Apparently everyone in this fort really, really hates trolls, because half of all engravings/decorations involve trolls getting killed by elves.  Seriously, guys. 

I managed to hand-pick a duchess that has no item preferences, so no mandates from her.  Unfortunately, one of my dwarves was the descendant of a duke who has apparently died, and he's got a penchant for BDSM as he's always wanting chains and traction benches constructed  >_>

So now it's on to fun projects like expanding my indoor tree farm, having the ability to flood the surface with magma just incase those goddamn zombies return, and completely securing the caverns.
Now for your dwarves to be decked out in lovely Grizzly Bear leggings, capes, shirts, loincloths, hoods, caps, e.t.c.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37253 on: September 25, 2014, 04:11:09 pm »

Now for your dwarves to be decked out in lovely Grizzly Bear leggings, capes, shirts, loincloths, hoods, caps, e.t.c.
No, but I did get an artifact elf bone bin out of it all.

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37254 on: September 25, 2014, 05:39:16 pm »

A Wereskink surprised an unlucky wood gatherer at the gate into my fortress. Soon thereafter, I had three Wereskinks mayhem-ing throughout my fortress. Tantrum spiral ensued...

From 58 dwarfs to 1; a legendary hammerdwarf. He was dispatched to take care of any and all dwarfs who went beserk. He seemed to enjoy his final job actually. And after he had quieted the last of his angry fellows, he went straight back to his barracks where he continued his individual combat drills. That's a bad dwarf right there...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37255 on: September 25, 2014, 05:52:58 pm »

By the time there are no more ambush alerts, there are some 80-ish invaders consisting of war grizzly bears, war bobcats, and elves.  Even though I thought I had made a generously large hallway of death, they managed to jam every single trap with bear corpses and were now steadily triggering all of the cage traps behind those.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unacceptable number of beesbears.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37256 on: September 26, 2014, 12:33:23 am »

Someone is drinking lye in Searingmines. That's the only explanation I can think of, since there's always one or two units of lye missing when it's time to turn an exact batch of lye into Unicorn Soap.

Duke of Searingmines, Rigòth Roarletter was the latest dwarf to fall victim for the Flying Dwarf Syndrome. His wounds consisted of broken ribs and the loss of function for his liver, which I'd figure is a terrible condition for a dwarf. Curiously, the duke went partying immediately after getting his liver stitched up and bandaged.

The captured minotaurs, currently residing in very romantic surroundings of the Minotaur Love Shack, don't seem very interested in breeding in captivity. Either large humanoid breeding is not really working at this moment or I simply had very bad luck regarding the orientation of my captured couple. Looks like these minotaurs will end up as playmates for the children as well.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37257 on: September 26, 2014, 12:52:50 am »

Well, considering my fort is FurnaceClans, you all know what's going on. However, I wanted to share this drawing I ran across while looking for assets:

EDIT: Meneth linked to the original, always the preference when you can.  Check the link below.  Thanks Meneth! /EDIT

It screams Dwarf Hammerlord to me.  :D

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37258 on: September 26, 2014, 09:35:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here's the original, with slightly higher quality: http://yopparattanosaru.deviantart.com/art/Orc-VS-Dwarf-107639013

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #37259 on: September 26, 2014, 02:04:20 pm »

Attack of the ninja-were-panther-Goblin. A were panther attacked. At least 15 different people had a shot at it. Average 6 at any one time, all trying to kill this thing. it just Matrix-moves out of the way and wrecks them all. 50 or so pages of all these different people trying and failing to hit this thing while it dances circles around them and then destroys them, one by one, with a well placed retaliation. Didn't even bite most of the time, used a lot of striking. Eventually turned back into a Goblin. Same thing. A bunch of guys trying to land a hit, but it's not remotely bothered. Dodges out the way of everything, cripples a couple of them and runs out of the fort like, 'see ya!' leaving 10+people bleeding and vomiting on the floor, alongside a handful of corpses. 

A milker attacks it, it dodges off a cliff and down several Z levels into the river and drowns. I actually wanted it to live.

I'm not even mad, that was pretty cool.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:07:30 pm by WordsandChaos »
Pages: 1 ... 2482 2483 [2484] 2485 2486 ... 3835