Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2483 2484 [2485] 2486 2487 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787838 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37260 on: September 26, 2014, 04:18:42 pm »

Well, two things happened in my Fortress today.  When the Elves came to trade they brought me a female cougar.  As I have a male one, I can now breed them and, train them or not, I think that is a cool idea.  I will try to train them. (I had to rebuild the trade depot - I did not realize the last goblin/Troll attack had destroyed it)
Outside of the big cat we bought booze.  In return we gave them mechanisms (from all the traps that were set off outside the Fortress by the invaders) and body parts (from all the dead invading goblins and trolls). 

The Elf diplomat showed up at the same time and I said I would no longer worry about how many trees I cut down and burned.  He left but...didn't seem too upset about it.  He seemed his normal, insulting self. Are we at war or not?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:21:59 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37261 on: September 26, 2014, 05:35:24 pm »

If anyone knows how to make elves attack, let me know.

So far I've been clearcutting (have thousands of logs and a big wooden sign expressing my thoughts on elves), I've never sent a caravan back without killing at least one of them in front of the others, and I tell the diplomat to suck it before having the hammerer chase him off the map while smacking him about the face and ass with an adamantine crossbow.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37262 on: September 26, 2014, 06:18:13 pm »

So far I've been clearcutting (have thousands of logs and a big wooden sign expressing my thoughts on elves), I've never sent a caravan back without killing at least one of them in front of the others, and I tell the diplomat to suck it before having the hammerer chase him off the map while smacking him about the face and ass with an adamantine crossbow.

Elves are peaceloving hippies.  They don't understand warfare.  You have to use the old axiom of "You're a pacifist?" *punch to the face* "Still, non-violent?" *punch to the face* "You sure now?  I've got a free schedule this afternoon." *Boot to da head* "C'mon now, at least flinch..."

Sieze their goods.  Let no elf escape.  Stick their heads on poles as totems at the trade depot.  Leave the elven diplomat in a tower to go mad from hunger and boredom because he can't leave.

You're being too gentle.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37263 on: September 26, 2014, 07:10:07 pm »

Hmmm..just remembered that cougars, being big cats (and like all little cats), can't be trained.  I have decided that the Elves are messing with my mind.

So the next time they show up I will ambush them near my Trade Depot and wipe them off the face of the planet.  Then take their stuff - which is why I will wait till they get closer.  Because that way I don't have to carry it too far.  And can sell their bones to the next non-Elf Trading Caravan.  Win/Win.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37264 on: September 26, 2014, 07:21:43 pm »

Hmmm..just remembered that cougars, being big cats (and like all little cats), can't be trained.  I have decided that the Elves are messing with my mind.
Untrue, one of my forts had War Leopards.  34.11 though, not sure about 40.x yet.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37265 on: September 26, 2014, 08:24:39 pm »

Elves are peaceloving hippies.  They don't understand warfare.  You have to use the old axiom of "You're a pacifist?" *punch to the face* "Still, non-violent?" *punch to the face* "You sure now?  I've got a free schedule this afternoon." *Boot to da head* "C'mon now, at least flinch..."

Sieze their goods.  Let no elf escape.  Stick their heads on poles as totems at the trade depot.  Leave the elven diplomat in a tower to go mad from hunger and boredom because he can't leave.

You're being too gentle.
I was operating on the theory that if they have someone make it back then they can be notified that they were assaulted by the dwarves, if nobody makes it back then it could be goblins or undead or whatever.

It's hard to get some dead but not all of them, much easier to just kill everything, and keeping the diplomat from dying before he can run off is a challenge. I got good at judging how fast he is vs my hammerer so I order him killed just late enough that he gets beat around a bit and then makes it to the edge.

I have had to order him to go inactive though when the moron decided rather than go 2 square to the edge he would run north towards the border 100 squares that way.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37266 on: September 26, 2014, 08:31:13 pm »

Untrue, one of my forts had War Leopards.  34.11 though, not sure about 40.x yet.

Really?  The DF Wiki says cougars can't be trained.  Also, I am getting bored waiting for the children to become adults.  I want to see what they are like when they become fully grown Dwarfs (a few of them are already becoming hardened and a few have died from lack of attention).   I have plans for them once they hit adulthood.  But I think I have to wait at least another year, game time, before the first few become adults.

So it is either start killing Elves, to help make my soldiers even more use to death and blood and screaming OR start filling the hallways with random spike traps to train the children, AND adults, to become even more hardened and uncaring. 

Oh, on the other hand my animals are doing great due to the advice this forum has given me.  All my animals are fat, I have increased my egg laying birds at least four fold, and now have a steady, if small, supply of milk, cheese, and other animal byproducts.  My fields grown under the weight of food and material they grow every season.  Most of the Dwarfs not in the military, or unemployed because they have nothing to do, are content or happy.  Even those who live on the surface.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37267 on: September 26, 2014, 09:15:24 pm »

Just had a surprise...that I thought I had covered.

I found my magma, got my areas all dug out and prepped.  Had the floodgates in with magma proof stone and mechanisms.  The whole she-bang. 

In my flow tunnels I had found some good ore so I dug out one row back and then built walls to keep it accessible from the backside.  So magma is flowing, I mark the veins to be dug out (digv on DH), checked to make sure I wasn't breaching the walls...because I had used basalt for the constructed walls...not hematite.  So I'm puttering around further up in my fortress and get a message that my miner has been missing a week as has my blacksmith.  Hmm..I go to the a screen, can't zoom in on them.  I look around outside where I'd seen a bear and a king cobra earlier in the game.  Nope, no corpses out there.  Nobody's been horrified at a dead body....

I finally get down to the magma level and yep...that stupid dwarf punched the wall and burned up.  He was good though...he got through one side and into the other wall so magma breached on both sides of the tunnel.  I had to assign everyone to Masonry and throw up walls quickly as lava was about halfway up towards my stairwell when I found it.  Luckily got it stopped with no further damage...but ugh.  What a way to go. 

When I used digv I actually thought about this happening and thought I had checked it thoroughly but I guess not.  I'm sorry Bimbur, your death rests on my head.

Here's a question though...with them dead and unable to recover their bodies will I be subjected to permanent hauntings?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37268 on: September 26, 2014, 09:48:17 pm »

You can still lay unrecoverable dwarves to rest.  Construct rock slabs at a mason and then engrave them with the names of the dwarves at a crafting station.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37269 on: September 26, 2014, 10:16:49 pm »

I wondered why my farmers wouldn't plant rat weeds. Built a new farm plot in case the old one was accidentally mis-constructed (under rock e.g.), but that wasn't it. Then i checked via the stocks and found the seed bag, which with ~200 booze and over a hundred other seeds was sitting in the unpassable tile of the still. Apparently it had been thrown there by a cave-in when some tree growth messed up.

Around the same time, the various exploratory cavern breaches unleashed the creepy crawlers on my food stocks. The cats handled most of it, but i managed to get in on the action - ordered some animal traps made and set trappers in motion; creepy crawlers are the only butcherable vermin i know of, and they're auto-butchered when caught close enough to a butcher's workshop (unless you order your animal trainers to tame them first).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37270 on: September 26, 2014, 10:30:42 pm »

I wondered why my farmers wouldn't plant rat weeds. Built a new farm plot in case the old one was accidentally mis-constructed (under rock e.g.), but that wasn't it. Then i checked via the stocks and found the seed bag, which with ~200 booze and over a hundred other seeds was sitting in the unpassable tile of the still. Apparently it had been thrown there by a cave-in when some tree growth messed up.

Around the same time, the various exploratory cavern breaches unleashed the creepy crawlers on my food stocks. The cats handled most of it, but i managed to get in on the action - ordered some animal traps made and set trappers in motion; creepy crawlers are the only butcherable vermin i know of, and they're auto-butchered when caught close enough to a butcher's workshop (unless you order your animal trainers to tame them first).

Aren't fire snakes butcherable?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37271 on: September 26, 2014, 10:46:01 pm »

Started a new Fortress in DF2014 (while keeping the other one going, of course).   I picked a pocket world and low or small for everything else.  And picked a region I thought was Okay.  But no trees.  NO trees.  So I am being VERY careful about what wood is used for.

Already, the Fortress looks ugly.  I know when you just start out if always looks messy.  But yuck....I had to dig straight down.  No hills or mountains.  :P

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37272 on: September 26, 2014, 10:53:50 pm »

Aren't fire snakes butcherable?

from fire snake raws:
[NOT_BUTCHERABLE]

They can be _extracted_ from, but like almost all vermin, they're not butcherable. They're made from flame, not flesh, so they probably wouldn't be butchered even without that flag.

Captured non-tame Creepy crawlers are auto-targetted by the "butcher animal" job and get converted to 1-3 meat and organs.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37273 on: September 26, 2014, 11:26:21 pm »

Honey Bees can be butchered now too... apparently.  Had 5 units of honey bee brain show up in my stocks.   Guess one of my trappers decided to get fresh with the hives or something.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37274 on: September 27, 2014, 12:24:19 am »

Honey Bees can be butchered now too... apparently.  Had 5 units of honey bee brain show up in my stocks.   Guess one of my trappers decided to get fresh with the hives or something.

He was trying to hang out with his Honey.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2483 2484 [2485] 2486 2487 ... 3835