Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2484 2485 [2486] 2487 2488 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786930 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37275 on: September 27, 2014, 12:25:09 am »

Honey Bees can be butchered now too... apparently.  Had 5 units of honey bee brain show up in my stocks.   Guess one of my trappers decided to get fresh with the hives or something.
According to the wiki they ain't butcherable.

I suspect you bought a bunch of barrels from the caravan and one had bee brains in it. At one point back 0.34 I bought quite a few barrels full of useless crap (like ichor and blood) because I was in a freezing biome and a "bee ichor barrel" just shows as a "barrel" on the sale list if the ichor is frozen. The only reliable way I found to tell which barrels had shit in them was those barrels cost 10 urists extra. Most barrels are average-quality with no decoration they only cost 10 urists, so it's relatively easy to avoid the ones with extra crap you can;t use.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37276 on: September 27, 2014, 12:38:20 am »

I just got into that really bad "I can mine one more piece of adamantine!" mindset, and just experienced HFS for the first time after avoiding it for the entire year I've been playing DF. All I can say is... yikes!
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37277 on: September 27, 2014, 01:14:22 am »

I just got into that really bad "I can mine one more piece of adamantine!" mindset, and just experienced HFS for the first time after avoiding it for the entire year I've been playing DF. All I can say is... yikes!

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37278 on: September 27, 2014, 01:25:43 am »

With ridiculous amount of food and booze and large elite army and no goblins in sight, I wonder if I just should retire my fort. I wonder, if I do it, will my militia help push back Fated Torments I keep hearing about?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37279 on: September 27, 2014, 02:23:32 am »

With ridiculous amount of food and booze and large elite army and no goblins in sight, I wonder if I just should retire my fort. I wonder, if I do it, will my militia help push back Fated Torments I keep hearing about?

If the bug involving invading armies still exists and persists, then no it will fall at the first site of an invading force when you retire.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37280 on: September 27, 2014, 06:58:40 am »

So, I decided to have my mayor prove his worth by slaughtering crundles in the arena.

Discovery: Falling one tile is very painful for amored dwarves. Also, crundles suck.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37281 on: September 27, 2014, 11:12:10 am »

Were you dropping the mayor off a retracting bridge? Those don't drop but rather toss; they grant an amount of lateral velocity, which often results in skipping across the floor or bouncing into walls, which can cause serious injuries. A pure drop of one z rarely harms a dwarf. You must use a floor grate or hatch for that purpose. (If that's what you did, you just got unlucky.)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37282 on: September 27, 2014, 11:23:49 am »

So, I have obtained a breeding population of saltwater crocodiles, alligators and giant rattlesnakes.  :o
Sadly no hippos, giant tigers or armadillos (renewable shell).

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37283 on: September 27, 2014, 02:09:54 pm »

I created an artificial pond outside from cavern water which can be fished for pond turtles.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37284 on: September 27, 2014, 02:45:41 pm »

I polished my degunkable bath design:

The design works best when the door tile is indoors so it ends up getting cleaned regularly as well, but the important part is that you can get rid of the washed off blood and whatnot that collects rapidly in dorfbaths while also getting some pump operation exercise, and you won't have to worry about flushing animals into a river or using magma to cleanse it. I put the fortifications down because they look nicer, technically you could get an animal stuck in the far end of it, but as long as you only have it pond filled to 3/7 you shouldn't get any instances of that, and the pressure from pumping into the ends should wash anything trapped back to the right side so they can escape.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37285 on: September 27, 2014, 09:06:44 pm »

I'm sigging this.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37286 on: September 27, 2014, 09:27:40 pm »

Pulping in living creatures is apparently not nearly as dramatic as it sounds:

A bunch of puppies decided to conga into a mincecart, i mean minecart cyclotron. Puppy bits flew everywhere and before anybody could pull the lever to disarm the contraption, a spinner bravely stepped in to "clean". Of course he got smacked silly - thrown into the nearest wall at ~100k speed (it was a wooden cart; a metal cart would have disassembled the dwarf), shattering a leg and "smashing the neck into the upper body, turning it into an unrecognisable mass". Upper spine broken upper spinal nervous tissue cut apart and concussed. In .34.11, this would have been an absolute death sentence, because if any bit of CNS got mildly bumped, it'd irreversibly cease to function, which in case of upper spinal chord would have meant the dwarf stopped breathing.

Not so in .40.11 - the dwarf only lost the ability to stand (broken leg) and got cured. The "cut apart" nervous tissue was tied back together (sutured) and that was that. Less than a season later, he got a mood, claimed a leatherworker's shop (i had only enabled leatherworking for him after the accident, got really lucky there) and made a very neat pair of trousers and then started churning out high-quality leather goods like crazy.

In other events, four more (and better!) wells were installed and the well meeting zone shifted to those. I fiddled with suspensions until three of the wells were finished by the near-legendary mason and not one of the many dabblers and novices; results were one masterwork and at least one exceptional well. Architecture value went up from ~35 000 to about 55 000. The dwarven liaison offered a barony, so our armoursmith who had long been vetted for the position was promoted.

Now if i could only get someone to marry - 50 beards and not a single married couple!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37287 on: September 27, 2014, 09:33:23 pm »

I'm sigging this.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:16:55 pm by Max™ »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37288 on: September 28, 2014, 01:15:29 am »

Sikel, the poisonous giant enemy crab that kept pinching cavern fauna and other forgotten beasts to pulp, decided to commit suicide by plunging off a tall Black-Cap and turning its upper body into gore.
Wala the steel quadruped, on the other hand, seems to be stuck on top of a Tower-Cap in the upper cavern layers. I think I'll pull the drop ceiling trick on him.
Other than that, life in Sastres Anan is becoming somewhat stagnated. Having no access to goblins or other surefire sources of Fun1), the fortress just trudges along, slowly carrying out my pet projects. Once those are finished, I think I'll retire the fort and try to find a more interesting, yet survivable, embark site. The greatest achievement of my fort so far is advancing the dwarven knowledge of ostrich and rhinoceros training by a few facts.

In case some ‼Science‼-minded individual wishes to poke around and study the idio(ma)tic design of a typical Sus Fortress, I'll upload a pre-retire save to DFFD.

1)Well, technically, the bluish metal spire at the bottom of the fort does offer Fun galore if opened. There may even be a curious underground structure somewhere in the lower caverns.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37289 on: September 28, 2014, 01:48:36 am »

So, I have obtained a breeding population of saltwater crocodiles, alligators and giant rattlesnakes.  :o
Sadly no hippos, giant tigers or armadillos (renewable shell).
Giant rattlesnakes? Color me envious. I bet those will really do a number on any hapless thief...
Crocs are pretty awesome as well, both for combat and meat/egg industry.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 2484 2485 [2486] 2487 2488 ... 3835