Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2507 2508 [2509] 2510 2511 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854892 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37620 on: October 20, 2014, 04:08:49 pm »

The graduates need some combat experience so I've been sending them out in small squads to hunt FBs that are still lurking in unexplored parts of the caverns. Now only one monster remains, a gigantic woodpecker with deadly dust; that one might prove difficult to take down without casualties.

Meanwhile, the old unused Goblin Terminal Velocity Testing Facility has been converted into a huge reservoir for pressurized magma. The steel pump arrays are now filling it up slowly; when it's full there will be nearly 13 000 cubic Urists of hot welcome for any unwanted visitors.

Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37621 on: October 20, 2014, 05:26:30 pm »

The ceiling keeps falling on my dorfs.

Also, anyone know how to take a screenshot on a Windows 8 and check the in - game date?  I'm thinking of recording my fortress history in the hopes something interesting happens.

Windows 7 has the "snipping tool" - I'd imagine that it still exists in Windows 8.  Or you could get ShareX or half a dozen other tools.

(Warning: By default - ShareX is set to upload screenshots automatically to places like Imgur...)

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37622 on: October 20, 2014, 06:54:36 pm »

Great! Thanks guys!  :)

Boothby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37623 on: October 20, 2014, 07:40:23 pm »

Just got an artifact ruby, Scarletcacti,
it is encrusted with oval cut blue jades and encircled with bands of square cut rubies and single cut blue jades.
total value of 100800.
So basically a ruby with more gems encrutsted into it...

Got an artifact steel spear, studded with steel (real creative there Urist), also 100800 bucks...it was a possession of course.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #37624 on: October 21, 2014, 05:29:28 pm »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37625 on: October 21, 2014, 06:20:03 pm »

GOBLINS FINALLY!

Only 8, but still, that's a good sign as I only have 60 dorfs.

Had a cyclops show up shortly after, figured I could get a good kill for the military, then he saw the baitdog I use to trap the undead mountain goat bullshit and charged straight into a trap...

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37626 on: October 21, 2014, 09:42:15 pm »

Started keeping a record of forts. Who knows? Might be a good story for later.
Trying something different too. I might as well put the leading noble (mayor, baron, expedition leader) into use and use them as characters. When a noble dies, he or she will be replaced with another and the perspective will change. I'm trying to make each of the leaders different (one is a devout follower, another just wants his palace, another loves battle, another treats his dwarves like slaves)
Thought it would be a fun spin on things.
Now then, TO CLOISTERLURE!

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37627 on: October 21, 2014, 09:43:56 pm »

A Minotaur arrived, my first Megabeast in the new fortress.

My marksdwarves opened up on hm and he dodged into the river, which I had dammed to dig out a cistern and became stunned, hurt his toe, and gave into the pain.

Cue Loony Tunes music as I order the dam opened. He was promptly swept way only to come to on the map edge and start trying to struggle against the current in the shallow water there.

If he passes out, will he be swept off the map edge?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37628 on: October 21, 2014, 10:02:37 pm »

Corpses get stuck against the edge so I doubt it. They have to deliberately leave.

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37629 on: October 21, 2014, 10:48:39 pm »

While iron and steel are incredibly abundant, our REAL money has been made selling luxury dwarven meals for 2-4k dollars a piece.

We recently had to deal with a 6 ton flying monster made of vomit with poison gas breath that exploded into a boiling extract when stimulated with axes.

There was also the awkward time we had to dismember the fortress manager when he turned into a were-mole during a party.  Fortunately we were able to charge him with vandalism so his punishment was in accordance with Dwarven law.

Magma forges are running.  Adamantium axes have just started coming off the production line...happy days!

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37630 on: October 22, 2014, 12:50:49 am »

I just embarked on a location with access to elves, humans, dwarves, goblins, and a tower, and had my dwarves start with no skills. As there's the threat of zombies approaching at any moment, I'm going to be working as quickly as possible to get base fortifications up and a dwarf or two training to take the fight to the zombies when they arrive (as they undoubtedly will).

Found tetrahedrite a few layers down from the surface in with the rhyolite, so that's a plus for now, and there's multiple layers of soil and clay to make lots of goods, but I'm in a savanna so there's a shortage of trees to use as a fuel source. Hopefully my miners will find a source of coal.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37631 on: October 22, 2014, 12:54:14 am »

I have finally gotten a fortress to become a barony, it isn't really that surprising considering I'm living in a world with literally one or 2 threats but STILL after all these (2 years) of playing I have finally gotten a barony. :"D
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37632 on: October 22, 2014, 11:35:43 am »

My first proper siege, buncha gobs and trolls, I left the magma canned up and let the military handle it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The trail of bodies on the left hand side is from two martial trances between Urist McLegendary and his plat war hammer smashing heads in, and the newly christened Urist McTyson, Trollbiter, sending heads flying with his steel battle axe.

Why McTyson, Trollbiter?
...I can think of few things I'd like to go up against less than a dorf so crazy he grabbed a troll BY THE EAR with his MOUTH, shook it around until it tore off, lopped the damn trolls head off, then kept fighting for a while before casually spitting it out... SO HE COULD BITE SOMEONE ELSE IN THE LEG....

I really do love this McTyson psycho, was trying to collect the bodyparts and lay them out as a trophy hall, as is my habit, but I was having a heck of a time finding a couple of pieces...
That's the head of one of the gobs killed coming up the stairs to the left, on a roof two z levels up... with the arm of one of the trolls for company, and I think that's a leg by the statue to the right, all from my nutty axe lord.

To celebrate I set up a big experiment I wanted to try... it was impressive, but it's hard to keep the game going because it just kinda looks at me, tosses it's hands up in the air and leaves.
Instead of using a piston to raise magma up into a catchment (as in the piston to the right of the volcano) I used liquids to make a block of obsidian 25x22x15 at ground level, flattened everything around it to get it to flow the right way, dug out the cistern beneath it... and then wait for a second, giggle madly... and then make the poor choice to try to fire up the magma pumps and drop the other three pistons... it worked and I had just about the entire map flooded, but when I tried to take a screenshot it threw a segfault at me and fell over.

Edit: BY THE BLOOD OF ARMOK, I just realized that in the combat log with the "shakes the troll by the left ear and the severed part flies off in an arc", the severed part is the rest of the troll...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:44:44 am by Max™ »

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37633 on: October 22, 2014, 11:44:26 am »

Dug down and found that the east side of the map at layers 132-139 is Marble, while the west side is Rock Salt with Magnetite and Bituminous Coal inclusions.

Still only 12 dorfs atm, so getting the farms and so on up to speed while I wait for the second immigration wave.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37634 on: October 22, 2014, 11:48:44 am »

Basically what I did, limonite right under the wagon, a volcano due south, partially reanimating biome, part wilderness part serene, and marble scattered throughout the wilderness biome, no coal though so I've been clearcutting and am all steel'D up... but I wish I realized I shouldn't have killed the first elf diplomat on sight, because it REALLY makes them mad when you say you won't cut down a bunch of trees and then do it anyways... I mean, I'm gonna do it anyways, but I may as well maximize the odds of getting a dual goblins and elves siege right?
Pages: 1 ... 2507 2508 [2509] 2510 2511 ... 3836