Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2510 2511 [2512] 2513 2514 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855040 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37665 on: October 25, 2014, 10:08:26 am »

Right from get I'm slapped with a highly offensive fps.  24-32.  There's apparently nothing bigger than a kestrel living here, and it rains annoying sludge that makes the dwarves 'stunned' and 'dizzy', as well as some lasting blood-loss for more *messy* cleanup spam.

On the plus side there is both good and evil biome products here, and cashew wood is a nice shade.  And no aquifer to dig around, although now I'm stuck engineering a filter for the stagnant ponds . . .
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:14:41 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37666 on: October 25, 2014, 10:54:32 am »

Shameless advertising:

z+0:

======
||3 3 3|| < - 3x1 ramp here
..|| 3 || <- fortification
..|| 3 || <- fortification
..|| 3 || <- just a floor
..====

Z+1:
...|| # ||
.=|| # ||=
|| 3 3 3 || Make them enter through the sides and path through the ramps to get inside
# # $ # # Screwpump here pumping south
.=|| $ ||=
...|| 3 || leave this open or put a grate or whatever you like
...====

Pow, dorfwash, queue a pump job once it gets gunked up and let it settle back down, fill it with a pond zone or clever liquid logic if you have a good source available, and you can secure it with doors or bridges or hatches, however you like.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tons of gunk and blood and goop on the outside, blood washed off on the ramp as you can see, but the stairs and inside are only messy from sun-sick dwarves barfing all over the place.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fantastic for zones where your dorfs get rotting flesh from being outside.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37667 on: October 25, 2014, 11:35:22 am »

Testing of Giant Snail breeding program underway. Got lucky and managed to acquire 3 from elven caravans thus far (the previous one brought along two).

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37668 on: October 25, 2014, 11:39:14 am »

Just had a fight between a cave dragon and a dragon. One claw strike each and they were both down. How pathetic.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37669 on: October 25, 2014, 09:03:29 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:23:33 pm by Toady One »
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37670 on: October 25, 2014, 09:15:07 pm »

I didn't think I had a tower nearby, but apparently I do, because a pair of dwarf pump operator necromancers just showed up and got chased off by the militia. Neither one was killed. This may well be the beginning of the end for my entirely aboveground fort, unless we can get our castle completed. I've drafted all available hands to its construction, but will it be enough? Only time will tell.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37671 on: October 25, 2014, 09:36:19 pm »

I had to kill the elk birds, there were too many and they keep coming! I hope the caravan gets here soon, so I can get rid of some of these trinkets and animals

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37672 on: October 25, 2014, 09:46:12 pm »

I am madly in love with the new trees.

Now, I have enough wood to make cages, fuel for furnaces (so I don't need to haul stones 100 z levels to magma forges), beds, potash for fertilizer, and still have stuff left over for soap and wooden trap components if I feel like it.

Only downside of the current embark? No iron, but at least there's enough stuff to make bronze.

I will finally, FINALLY get all my dwarves clad in armor!
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37673 on: October 25, 2014, 10:06:31 pm »

The new personalities are weird but I like them.
Not much going on in the fort. the first children born are finally becoming adults and now every year I'll get 2 more workers from now until the death of the fort/child bearers die.

Castle building warehouse filling, toy making, baby spewing. not much going on at all.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37674 on: October 25, 2014, 10:31:18 pm »

I made some magma kilns. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get clay down to them. The only things I've come up with so far is dropping the clay down a hole via a dump or something, or just having dwarves lug them it down the stairs.  Neither of these are appealing, mainly because they're not.... complicated... enough. Curse you, need for overengineered contraptions to solve simple problems!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:54:50 pm by the1337doofus »
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37675 on: October 25, 2014, 11:13:11 pm »

I made some magma kilns. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get clay down to them. The only things I've come up with so far is dropping the clay down a hole via a dump or something, or just having dwarves lug them it down the stairs.  Neither of these are appealing, mainly because they're not.... complicated... enough. Curse you, need for overengineered contraptions to solve simple problems!

Self-propelled minecart tracks?  :)

Check my sig for an ore moving system.  Clay is equivalent.  Invert to bring products to the surface.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37676 on: October 26, 2014, 02:09:13 am »

I'm not used to the new climbing mechanics. Just had my entire crossbow dwarf squad climb down from its nice fortified overlook, climb along the wall overlooking a moat (one of them dropped their baby down there along the way), to engage the zombie horde in melee combat. It didn't end well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:11:15 am by Flying Carcass »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37677 on: October 26, 2014, 03:14:54 am »

I got an immigrant family and discovered my new favorite thing: Children sleep in the same bedroom their parents do! No more worrying about extra beds for the child horde!

The new romantic thoughts are fascinating too, one married couple frequently feels "aroused" after speaking with eachother, while another couple only feel "tenderness" for one another. I'm planning on watching them long-term to see if the aroused couple have more babies than the tender couple.

Also, my engraver/stonecrafter feels "pleasure" from all the damn things! Pleasure on his bed, pleasure in the dining hall, pleasure on the bridge, pleasure on the frickin' depot. Damnit Urist! At least keep it in your pants while the traders are here! Your embarrassing us in front of the humans!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:27:59 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37678 on: October 26, 2014, 03:33:03 am »

Man, I love the crafters in my fortress! I have a ☼«☼Large Sapphire☼»☼ that's worth 36k+ dwarf bucks, and many other gems of 20k+. Studded with silver, billon, and gold, then encrusted with every gem I can load on them, these gems make up for roughly 1/6th of my fortress wealth, then there's the mastercraft and exceptional gold and billon crafts, and the fact that I have 2/3rds of my exposed stone smoothed, but 2/3rds of the wealth comes from artifacts. These crafters are great! Still no good weapon or armour smiths though... Or war animals from the knife ears... I think it may he a trap.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37679 on: October 26, 2014, 07:37:00 am »

Lost my fort to a single undead. I suppose it was inevitable.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?
Pages: 1 ... 2510 2511 [2512] 2513 2514 ... 3836