Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2531 2532 [2533] 2534 2535 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788465 times)

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #37980 on: November 14, 2014, 05:19:57 am »

I'm trying to set up links to the jewelry workshops so only masterwork items are encrusted, but I'm having some difficulty with the stockpile settings;
Setting both core and total quality to masterwork works, but the dwarves then put the items back in the same (small) stockpile, so I have to move encrusted stuff out to make room.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37981 on: November 14, 2014, 07:45:32 am »

I'm trying to set up links to the jewelry workshops so only masterwork items are encrusted, but I'm having some difficulty with the stockpile settings;
Setting both core and total quality to masterwork works, but the dwarves then put the items back in the same (small) stockpile, so I have to move encrusted stuff out to make room.
If you are okay with some micromanagement you can lock the jeweler into a room with the stockpile, food, drink, furniture and his workshop. Have him encrust everything, then open the door and dump all encrusted items and replace them with new ones.

Or you could try to copy the stockpile settings and have the workshop give to the empty stockpile. That should work in theory.
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37982 on: November 14, 2014, 08:14:26 am »

The first idea is generally how it works now; he'll encrust everything in the stockpile, then give up because it's full of already-encrusted furniture. I've generally cleared the stockpile by placing the statues/doors/whatever around the fort :)

I''ll try having a different stockpile set to take from the workshop, though. Thanks :)

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37983 on: November 14, 2014, 11:29:29 am »

Just got an update from the outpost liaison, containing a full page of nothing but news of various settlements fleeing from a single goblin army. I'm beginning to think that The Rapid Deceivers of Murder might not be a nice group.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37984 on: November 14, 2014, 12:11:03 pm »

Just got an update from the outpost liaison, containing a full page of nothing but news of various settlements fleeing from a single goblin army. I'm beginning to think that The Rapid Deceivers of Murder might not be a nice group.
They must be carrying a zombie on a stick and waving it around as they enter fortresses

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #37985 on: November 14, 2014, 07:12:46 pm »

Have another stockpile take from the jewler's workshop?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37986 on: November 14, 2014, 11:31:32 pm »

WHY immigrants contain so many traders?
Well, not a problem to me. I sent them to detail floors so they would become engravers soon enough.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37987 on: November 15, 2014, 07:32:23 am »

Magma logic works, but - like all fluid logic - messily and with unnecessary complications. I built a thing that does nothing fancier than making a bunch of bitwise NAND comparisons between one fixed and one switchable input (three choices). It got a bit large, mainly because i decided to use 12-bit registers, but in the end i mixed it about 60% water, 40% magma constructions. Water's just a lot easier to construct for. Actual operation is a bit nightmarish, the two main headaches were
a) writing results back into the fixed input is fiddly, because, well, it's a permanent input, so a change of its value may change the input it receives. Most importantly, when it turns "off", the NAND will again turn "on". If you could get near-instant liquid transport in your switches, this wouldn't be much of an issue, but especially with magma, you're limited to what your pumps can move; i estimate that i got delays of up to fifty steps, definitely longer than a single dwarf's double lever pull. I did four backwards writes, two succeeded and two failed, meaning i just went and copied the result over from the control.
b) vermin. A water logic array directly under the surface attracts random spawns of vermin fish, who'll then get smashed in the door jambs and clog up the works.

To check basic computing possibilities, i calculated the XOR and NXOR of two arbitrarily chosen twelve-bit numbers, 101100 101011 and 011010 110001. Results were, eventually (with the aforementioned two manual copies when the designated write screwed up) 110110 011010 and its inverse. Operation progression was: A - fixed input; B, C, D - switchable inputs; numbers originally in A, B

A NAND B -> write to C
A NAND C -> write to D
A NAND X -> write to A (sets all bits in A)
A NAND B -> write to A, B (inverse of B)
A NAND B -> write to A (B copied to A), B (as control)
A NAND C -> write to A, B (control)
A NAND D -> write to A (XOR result), B (control)
A NAND B -> write to B (NXOR result)

Took several dwarf weeks to finish, not to mention several days spent pushing a "perch remains" around via remote water pressure until it was over a bridge and could be crushed.

I also built a magma repeater, a ring counter and a binary counter, all in pure fluid logic. I laid out but didn't connect a "program reader/decoder" thingy; in theory, all the bits required for a programmable, autonomously-operating computer are there and _could_ be run without any need for power - all you need is a really big water reservoir providing the working pressure. It all works, but many components - like the ring counter - need precisely-timed signals, which escalates the component count and, eventually, actual operation times. Unfortunately, even with pressure, magma isn't a very good logic fluid. Gravitic pressurising gives water a massive advantage.

I was curious how viable pure fluid logic really is, considering the fluid D-Latch is probably the compactest, lowest-tech way to hold a single bit:
Code: [Select]
####~
#^++~
####~

One pressure plate, two doors. That's it. The doors are linked to "Data" line (outer door) and "Enable" (inner door). The plate responds to 5-7 fluid. Whenever the enable door opens, the pressure plate takes on the value of the Data input - if Data is on, fluid rushes in and tops off the plate, if Data is off, water sloshes off the pressure plate into the tile of the open Enable door, lowering depth to 3-4 if it was full previously. When the enable door is closed, changes of the data input have no effect.

As shown on the wiki, fluid logic gates without constant flow are entirely possible. You just need to base them on complementary logic: whenever an input changes, fluid level on the sensing plate(s) is adjusted to the correct value by either opening access to incoming fluid or by opening open space for the fluid to spread into. As a small but important improvement, the basic logic gates don't actually need _any_ drain. The spread space offered by raising/lowering bridges is enough. That's how i built my complementary drainless NAND gates:

###
#B###
#^^DD
#B###
###

Two pressure plates to give both the AND and NAND output, although i didn't use the "and". Two doors and two bridges, one door and one bridge linked to each input. Since in the least-different case, you spread three full tiles of liquid over four tiles of space (21 liquid spread over four gives 3x5, 1x6), the "high" plate must respond to 7/7 fluid only, the lower (NAND) one must respond to at least 5/7, preferably 6/7, too. Since NAND activates as reaction to a bridge lowering, the switch time is quite long.

The wiki contributors for some reason called their complementary fluid logic CMOS, which struck me as patently silly - MOS (metal-oxide-semiconductor) denotes the specific materials from which electronic switches are constructed, which has no bearing on DF mechanised logic (we don't even have electricity!). Still, i _did_ build a CMOS logic device, a simple inverter:

#+#   elsewhere:  ň #
#^#   
#B#
###

Lever linked to both bridge and door in the logic cell, the pressure plate reacts to low fluid. When the lever switches to "on", the door opens, the bridge raises, magma on the plate goes to 7/7, switches the plate off which closes the ("inverted") grate next to the lever. When the lever is switched "off", the door closes and the bridge lowers, magma on the plate recedes to 3-4/7, plate activates and opens the grate.

But that's still just normal fluid logic. Where does the MOS come in? As in electronics, in the materials. The regulating lever is made of copper (metal), the connecting mechanisms of quarzite (Oxide, to wit SiO2, which _is_ a common dielectric in MOS manufacture) and the door and bridge of sphalerite (ZnS, a semiconductor). It's the same in the plate->grate connection, except the pressure plate is made of steel (since this just had to be built in magma). Thus, i claim the first dwarven logic device really fabricated in CMOS.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37988 on: November 15, 2014, 07:37:52 am »

Just caught a whole herd of yaks. Hoping these things are beefy.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37989 on: November 15, 2014, 01:35:08 pm »

Anyone know how we might get all that bog iron out of the nine levels of aquifer? Because there's a lot of aquiferous iron in there.... Sigh.

Strip mining.
*a single dorf in an xX(<<elf leather thong>>)Xx stands by an upright bar with a dubious look on his face and a pickaxe in his hand*
"I dunno Cog, normally you're spot on about this stuff, but I still think we should have asked one of the girls to do this..."
Brilliant, sir. Just brilliant.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37990 on: November 15, 2014, 06:43:14 pm »

Reclaiming a world gen fort. Before I could finish sealing the caverns I suffered a drive by jabbering. A jabberer ran out of the caverns, ran past everyone, bisected the woodworker, and promptly left the map.

He didn't even spook the other dwarves.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37991 on: November 15, 2014, 07:04:32 pm »

My island fortress just got attacked by an ettin. My military dwarves killed it, but it took a while, possibly due to cave adaptation throwing off their attacks...

Moved their training area outside, which should prevent the problem in the future...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37992 on: November 15, 2014, 07:08:08 pm »

These animal men are crafty. Just as I killed the flock of elk birds that came in, the cave swallow men charged through at the workers. No match for my soldiers though, even with just iron on them. That jabberer pair behind them may be a problem though.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37993 on: November 16, 2014, 05:23:23 am »

Graveljaws fell foul to lack of doors and a single tile of unnoticed aquifer. So, in year 250 The Tool of Flesh (subtle there RNG...) of The Regal Papers founded Questmountain.

The Regal Papers seems to be a dead or nearly dead civilization. When I got the "No outpost liaison? How curious..." message during the first autumn I checked out the Legends: the last fortress fell way back in 84 but somehow the civilization managed to exist through the next 156 years.

The current king fled to wilderness as a baby in 83 when his parents were killed and their bodies were placed to "a grotesque pillar." He became a leader of a bandit gang when he grew up and declared himself the king when I started the fort. The rest of the nobility lived in various goblin sites until they seemed to be caught by the sudden resurgence of nationalism and re-formed The Regal Papers from scratch. I'm imagining an exile government meeting in secrecy in a dark goblin fortress.

The migrants so far have looked like they simply popped into existence when they moved to Questmountain: they have no parents, no history and no distant relatives in the mountainhome to pine for (which is actually a wonderful thing). I thought .40.xx would no longer generate migrants but I'd like to imagine they are descendants of exiles, with no recollection of the past.

It looks like my task for this fortress is clear: I have to rebuild the whole civilization and build a great fortress for all the exiled dwarves of The Regal Papers. If possible I'll even invite the king over from his hideout somewhere in The Long Hills of Rawness. It's great to have some backstory to a new fort.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Boogie Do Boom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37994 on: November 16, 2014, 10:30:00 am »

Started on a freezing biome with a volcano attempting the caveman challenge without booze or food, Only pickaxes and battle-axes. I've mentioned about the dead dying civ? The king goes nut and punched some dwarves because mandates and other noble things. that must be a lot of FUN!
Pages: 1 ... 2531 2532 [2533] 2534 2535 ... 3835