Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2565 2566 [2567] 2568 2569 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5837679 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38490 on: December 10, 2014, 05:48:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Project: Danger Room has been successful beyond my expectations. One season ago both of those dwarfettes were recruits.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:50:27 pm by Knit tie »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38491 on: December 10, 2014, 06:11:27 pm »

Project: Danger Room has been successful beyond my expectations. One season ago both of those dwarfettes were recruits.
How many skulls does that cyclops have?

I just realized why one of my soldiers was moving so slowly, his lower spine was injured before he moved to the fortress and he's unable to stand. Yet he still fights with great determination. I really need to make some dwarven pogo sticks crutches so I can give him one before the next attack...

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38492 on: December 10, 2014, 06:35:11 pm »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38493 on: December 10, 2014, 07:03:18 pm »

I planned tapping from below
So I waited for winter to freeze my river, dug down and my legendary miner dropped 1 or 2 zlevels.

Why you dig down when you plan to tap from below?

I didn't think it through and made the horizontal shaft first, on z-10. because I didn't want another horizontal on z-1 I decided to dig down through the frozen river.

Still don't understand, why don't you dig up from z-10 -> with stairs, that is.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38494 on: December 10, 2014, 07:37:25 pm »

hydraclops

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #38495 on: December 10, 2014, 07:39:53 pm »

hydraclops
Nah, it's layers of skull, like an onion or ogres.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38496 on: December 10, 2014, 08:14:30 pm »

Spoiler: The Trades of Anguish (click to show/hide)
Eral and Mosus are goblinite miners, they use picks.

Spoiler: Danger Room (click to show/hide)

Garrund

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38497 on: December 10, 2014, 09:08:26 pm »

Why don't we all go and change the rivers colour to green? YAY

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #38498 on: December 11, 2014, 12:10:57 am »

Got attacked by a werezebra, it killed a dog, three dwarves and a merchant who was milling around for some reason before the dwarves managed to kill it... luckily it seems to have killed all the dwarves it bit so I won't have to atomsmash anyone... though several other dwarves got beaten within an inch of their lives, so I'd better get the hospital area running quick...

Oh yeah, I also managed to start draining the water out of my fort, so the medical staff won't have to perform surgery in two feet of water...

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38499 on: December 11, 2014, 04:31:17 am »

Migrants have arrived, 26 of them. While they are still milling in I get a werekangaroo in the same corner of the map:

It killed two of the migrants before my swordsdwarfs took it down. A fractured hand, one fractured shoulder, a ripped off eye lid and one dwarf lost her vision. A blind glassmaker? I think I'll retrain her to stonecrafter or engraver.

Now I have to quickly set up rooms for my dwarfs and a hospital.
Just kids...

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38500 on: December 11, 2014, 07:14:40 am »

I found a candy column and was mapping out the edges of it so I could dig out all the safe bits. Unfortunately I was a bit careless with the designations, got distracted, and didn't notice until the screaming started.

Sent most of the fort down as a distraction while the masons sealed the central staircase, and then abandoned :|

I'll have to send an adventurer to the site later on to see if anything interesting happens.

Meanwhile my next fort is going fairly well. Plenty of trees and tetrahedite, and the zombie sieges bring iron and bronze.
Also, while my civ seems to be doing fairly well, I always get the "no liaison? how curious..." message when the caravan arrives. Judging from a statue the mason made I think the king is a fake deity, so maybe it's related to that?

TheSoundOfTrees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38501 on: December 11, 2014, 08:31:29 am »

I've not embarked yet, but it will be interesting : elves and goblins are the most powerful races of this world, elves outnumbering dwarves 2 to 1. Two dwarven civilizations have been completely destroyed by goblins (and a few elf raids) and one of the human civilizations was conquered by the elves of the Triangular Queen. Browsing the files, I've seen that about 1/10th of the dwarves settlements have a population of the type "4 dwarves, 1 forgotten beast".
About one tenth of the living dwarves (so about 2000 of them) seem to be prisonners or "adopted" members in dark fortresses, or living with humans.
Too bad we can't send armies from our fortresses -yet. There's a lot of clean up to do.
I'll keep a copy of the world somewhere, so when I am more experienced I will try to reclaim the dwarven civilization that was crashed by demon-led goblins in year 15.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38502 on: December 11, 2014, 10:36:45 am »

My two forts have reached their limits, and after 200 citizens the fps has dropped into 25. Human city Rivertrapped might continue a bit longer as it is a bit better "performance" vice. Any siege or other form of fun will probly render it into a diashow and make battle mechanics useless (if it's lag issue that military wont fight).

Do you limit the amount of citizens in your fortresses? I might try capping it to 150 next time.

What's the tool for embark screen if I want to ensure the site has iron? I'm a bit tired of constant silver/copper sites...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #38503 on: December 11, 2014, 11:02:08 am »

What's the tool for embark screen if I want to ensure the site has iron? I'm a bit tired of constant silver/copper sites...

If you're using dfhack you can type "prospect all" without quotes in the console and check if there's any iron ore on site.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38504 on: December 11, 2014, 11:07:39 am »

A single vulture has foiled my military.

NO ONE'S FUCKING KILLING IT
STOP STANDING THERE AND DO SOMETHING
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 2565 2566 [2567] 2568 2569 ... 3836