Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2576 2577 [2578] 2579 2580 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788467 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38655 on: December 19, 2014, 04:25:31 pm »

Hmm. What are the moody dwarf's preferences? Does he like a certain stone?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38656 on: December 19, 2014, 04:36:19 pm »

"The Hammer Lord bashes The Chinchilla in the left front paw with her Bęngengâtrid, but the attack glances away!"

What the hell are chinchillas made out of? It looks like they simply can't be hurt with blunt weapons. Earlier three marksdwarves stood for a day bashing at one chinchilla's head with steel crossbows but couldn't get more than its skin bruised.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38657 on: December 19, 2014, 04:40:12 pm »

Gonna DL 40.20 !!it!! tonight and make me a fort right next to a tower with a dedicated heavy mace squad. Or maybe I'll warm up in a savage lands before taking on a resurrecting biome.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38658 on: December 19, 2014, 04:41:27 pm »

Hmm. What are the moody dwarf's preferences? Does he like a certain stone?

Basalt, as far as stone is concerned. Haven't found any yet. He's turned up his nose at microcline and bauxite, as well.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #38659 on: December 19, 2014, 05:23:51 pm »

Irrigating for the first time in an igneous extrusive site, with metamorphic beneath.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #38660 on: December 19, 2014, 06:00:49 pm »

A quarry means he needs BLOCKS, not raw stone. Get a second mason's workshop built on the double!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38661 on: December 19, 2014, 06:07:48 pm »

A quarry means he needs BLOCKS, not raw stone. Get a second mason's workshop built on the double!
Wiki claims that "quarry" is raw stone, while "square blocks" is blocks.
It also means this is a secretive mood, since it's the only one that mentions quarries at all.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38662 on: December 19, 2014, 06:31:17 pm »

Got blocks. Sandstone blocks, jet blocks, microcline blocks. He's having none. He's also not gone insane yet, and it's been a season.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38663 on: December 19, 2014, 06:37:42 pm »

I had a similar issue with my Stonecrafter getting possessed, taking one Limestone boulder, and then sitting around. Didn't see how it shook out since the game ended up crashing.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38664 on: December 19, 2014, 07:07:37 pm »

Are there any burrows involved? they can mess things up - I don't remember whether it was "if the workshop is in a burrow" or "if the dwarf is assigned to a burrow" or even "if the material he wants is in a burrow"... but I think it was the workshop one

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38665 on: December 19, 2014, 07:09:12 pm »

Post the save or type the text down?
Also "t" the workshop to check what he already got.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38666 on: December 19, 2014, 08:30:41 pm »

Is the quarry the only thing he's drawing? Perhaps he's also looking for some cloth.
You can check by waiting on the 'q' screen for the quarries to disappear; since the game is paused while viewing the interface, you can safely do this. It should cycle through and show you everything he wants and/or is missing.

If it ONLY shows quarries, you're in trouble.

It only shows quarries. I am in trouble.

Heh. I bet a basalt stone came in on a trader's cart.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38667 on: December 19, 2014, 08:42:57 pm »

No, actually the game crashed, seriously. I'm going to start a new one on 40.21. See if I have better luck. Thanks everyone for trying to help!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38668 on: December 19, 2014, 10:04:44 pm »

A legendary +5 broker (appraiser) makes huge differences.

The dwarven and elven caravans rarely complain even if sometimes they have zero profit. The human merchants are not that easy to deal with, but unless I really want their metal junks, I only buy their booze.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38669 on: December 20, 2014, 07:19:37 am »

A thread on stackexchange got some wheels turning again and of course the solution was quite simple when not thinking in logic gates:
if you want to calculate the binary complement, the easiest way in DF logic is to just look at the lowest bit that's set and toggle every bit that's higher. In dwarven logic, that can be done as a fairly trivial single-pass check.
Fast, power-hungry:
Code: [Select]
PA=s1
|
A'B=s2
|
B'C=s3
|
C'D=s4
|
D'E=s5
|
P - Power, offered only here!
A gear assembly linked to be engaged when signal A is on
A' - gear assembly engaged when signal A is off
B/B' etc. same for signals B etc.

Since power propagates down the line as long as an unbroken chain of off signals is found and at the first "on" signal breaks the chain, generating a "s"ignal instead, you get an unambiguous signal from the lowest set bit, nothing else. All that needs doing from here is convert this information into toggle signals, which once again isn't overly difficult - have single power source coming in from the _highest_ bit and let it trickle down a single-thread chain that can be broken (disengaged) at the appropriate points, unpowering the entire lower part of the power chain without needing more than a single switched gear for each setting. Bloodbeard's/tinypirate's powered memory cell is quite convenient for a powered toggle:

#   #
║   R*
║   ^
║   ^
║   R*
#   #
R - roller
^ - pressure plate reacts to minecarts, linked to disengage gear assembly powering the roller next to the plate
Two minecarts required, one must sit on a roller, the other on the "opposite" pressure plate. When power is provided, the cart is pushed along the track, reaches the adjacent pressure plate, pushes the other cart off the other pressure plate and onto the opposing roller. Only one roller may be powered at a time.

Offering a 100-step power pulse to _both_ gear assemblies toggles the cell - the gear assembly of the "deactivated" signal remains disengaged for 100 steps after the cart has been pushed.

This can be combined with a fully and independently settable memory array, but takes a lot of machinery, since you need to make sure you don't accidentally power rollers through the opposite power trunk. Time between operations can be as short as 115 steps.

Powerless, simple, slow:
╚╗   B^
╚╗   B^
╚╗   B^
╚╗   B^

B- bridge toggled by signal
^- pressure plate toggling the lowest appropriate bit (one higher than the bit operating the adjacent bridge)

One cart is sent through from north to south, keeps moving in a straight line until reaching the _first_ bridge operated by a set bit, branches to the east there and passes over all pressure plates toggling bits higher than the lowest set one. Suggests use of a powerless togglable cell. Time between operations significantly over 230 steps (must wait for memory content to settle and bridges to reset).

Powerless write- and toggle-able memory cell; yet another refinement of stuff i'd been using:
z+1     z+0
#####  #####
##▲##  #####
#╔╬╗#  #####
#║▼║#  ##║##
#▼˘╝#  #═╠##
##╔╝#  #####
##+##  #####
##˘##  ##║##
##G##  ##║##
#####  #####

All track on z+0 is on ramps. The "up" ramp on z+1 has NS track and touches a wall to bounce back carts coming from the pit to the south.
˘ - hatch cover, operated through signal
G - floor grate
+ - smooth floor, no track

The hatch cover to the north and the floor grate are operated through the "off" signal, the hatch cover to the south through the "on" signal. All are operated by a "pulsed" toggle signal (plate passed once by a minecart or the like, not a lever that's only operated once and left in the oppsite state).
If the cart is in the north, it either cycles through the angled pit west-to-east and around the northern loop when the hatch cover is open, or bounces between hatch cover and northern upward ramp if the hatch is closed. Once the hatch opens _again_, the cart leaves to the south, jumps off the plain floor across the southern hatch cover and lands on top of the floor grate. The floor grate opens 100 steps after the hatch cover(s) and dumps the cart into the pit. If it came here through a "write off" signal, the southern hatch cover will be closed anyway, if it arrived through a toggle, the connected "off" from the signal "pulse" means the hatches close at almost the moment that the grate opens, so the cart cannot leave because the hatch has closed again before the cart reaches it. The non-track floor directly north of the southern pit also makes sure that the cart doesn't enter the pit but rather jumps over it even when the hatch is open.

That's not idle speculation, i've built and carefully tested this design and it works. The main issue is that switching to "on" (i.e. sending the cart up north) is a bit wonky, the first cycle is extremely slow, but not slow enough to cause output signal flickering, so it all works out. (I suspect the cart ends up banging against the wall in the pit, stops and re-starts just barely "up" the ramp, so collects extremely little speed on the remaining acceleration stretch.)

This design can be modularised quite a bit - only three of the surrounding wall tiles should be truly essential, so sticking such cells together could presumably result in a densest packing of 3x6,5 tiles on two levels per cell (less than half of the 5x10 shown). It only produces an output in one of the cell states and reading to a bus-like system would have to be done externally, because its output is quasi-permanent.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:32:03 pm by Larix »
Pages: 1 ... 2576 2577 [2578] 2579 2580 ... 3835