Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2616 2617 [2618] 2619 2620 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858353 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39255 on: January 21, 2015, 07:55:43 am »

The Hammer Lord bites The Forgotten Beast in the upper body, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
The Forgotten Beast is having more trouble breathing!
The Hammer Lord latches on firmly!
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #39256 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:34 am »

Started another attempt at a Year 2 breeder fort (basically, turn the population cap way down, give the dwarfs regular breaks to mass-socialize - which should also make for entertaining tantrum spirals - and start using labor to fill all my labor needs).  Popped into a split-biome taiga, half with an aquifer and half without, and one with a lovely waterfall.  Setting up in the biome without the aquifer, I immediately found massive amounts of hematite embedded in a chalk layer, cavern layer one only five levels below the surface, and marble layers right below that.  With this much iron and flux, I'm wondering if the game isn't trying to make its own suggestions for how I should proceed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:29:11 am by Culise »

Antikythera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39257 on: January 21, 2015, 11:46:14 am »

I'm starting to reconsider the wisdom on insisting on a volcano embark. Had a visit from some fire imps that came out the pipe and are wandering around the outside of my fort.

First sighting was three imp corpses that my war dogs seem to have made short work of. Good boys those mutts, they then went on to chase down a wandering elephant heard. Two dogs picked off one elephant each and were able to render them unconscious but not kill them. 22 pages of "Dog scratches (prone) elephant in the head" with periods of the dogs fainting from exhaustion.

The second batch of fire imps were more of a problem. Dogs occupied with elephants still, an offended elvish caravan leaves in a huff after I offer them some bone jewellery (I thought it was only wood they were offended by). Elves meet the fire imps and seem to have been oneshot by flaming blood attack. No big loss but the forest covering my mountain bursts into flames. The imps seem to have also died. So now I have a forest inferno rapidly spreading into which come walking my first major immigrant wave. Trees start collapsing all over the surface but the only shallow diggings I previously clearfell so I might not be affected by cavins. 

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39258 on: January 21, 2015, 06:48:48 pm »

A woodcutter with no moodable skills became a legendary bone carver by making a cabinet.
Out of giant sparrow bone.
Now to wait for a more needy noble, and they can be properly furnished.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39259 on: January 21, 2015, 06:57:29 pm »

I'm starting to reconsider the wisdom on insisting on a volcano embark. Had a visit from some fire imps that came out the pipe and are wandering around the outside of my fort.

First sighting was three imp corpses that my war dogs seem to have made short work of. Good boys those mutts, they then went on to chase down a wandering elephant heard. Two dogs picked off one elephant each and were able to render them unconscious but not kill them. 22 pages of "Dog scratches (prone) elephant in the head" with periods of the dogs fainting from exhaustion.

The second batch of fire imps were more of a problem. Dogs occupied with elephants still, an offended elvish caravan leaves in a huff after I offer them some bone jewellery (I thought it was only wood they were offended by). Elves meet the fire imps and seem to have been oneshot by flaming blood attack. No big loss but the forest covering my mountain bursts into flames. The imps seem to have also died. So now I have a forest inferno rapidly spreading into which come walking my first major immigrant wave. Trees start collapsing all over the surface but the only shallow diggings I previously clearfell so I might not be affected by cavins.

Was your bone jewelry by chance decorated with clear glass?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39260 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:28 pm »

In the late autumn of year 10, Dorennimar (Diamondpath) was again besieged by goblins. Last year just 10 guys came and were soon decimated by four our squads; though they first have managed to kill two citizens who have been hauling too heavy items to get behind the walls fast enough.

This year goblins came in amount of 24, with quite a colourful group of various warriors. I have made them a present... and they are admiring it now:

Three most curious ones are already having a good time inside the corridor. I wonder how many more are going to join those three soon...
The whole building has floors one layer higher. That "r" is chained Stray Bunny. The chair is dog bone throne of artifact quality worth like 23k. That lever is actually connected to one bridge.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39261 on: January 21, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »

I recall I have chaned PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE to 1 before generating the world.
For some reason when I checked the raws in my save folder, I found PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE was not changed at all.
There must be something wrong.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Antikythera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39262 on: January 21, 2015, 11:46:41 pm »

Was your bone jewelry by chance decorated with clear glass?

no decoration at all in my forts up till now.

the only thing I can think of is that I did include some wood but the elves confiscated it when I offended them. do they do that? because there was no offensive items when I looked over the list of selected trades a moment after I offended them.

catastrophy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39263 on: January 22, 2015, 06:06:21 am »

Another goblin siege, it was properly dealt with by traps and spinning stone flying at them. My 5 man military guard is a mess, they're marksmen and have trouble finding boots. It might be a lack of socks?

I hate the clothing thing, also my FPS dropped under 50. This doesn't bode well.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39264 on: January 22, 2015, 07:52:24 am »

I deleted the save. No sieges.
I then created a new world with newly edited raws.

I already missed those green skins. I haven't seen them for weeks.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #39265 on: January 22, 2015, 11:03:04 am »

At the end of the second winter (thanks again to ptb_ptb for the idea of reserving an entire season to socialization; I had been giving breaks mostly on an ad hoc basis on my first attempt), the dwarves of Glazecloistered already find themselves hard at work.  Two major pairings have cropped up, and since they fell along optimum lines, a third should still possible.  A few minor grudges have emerged, however, on what's rapidly turning into the dwarfy equivalent of a soap opera:

1. The expedition leader, Astesh Atulatir, has a tendency to avoid confrontation, but has developed a grudge against Bembul Cilobilrom, the carpenter over a wide variety of matters.  Astesh tends to favor the military and has mildly xenophobic, normative tendencies.  Bembul, by contrast, distrusts the military and is exceptionally accepting of differences.  Astesh has a strong sense of duty; Bembul hates anything that could possibly resemble obligation.  Needless to say, the two do not get along.

2. Bembul's opinions of Astesh are entirely mutual.  Her lover is Tun Ushatasob, one of the two miners, and they were (if I recall properly) the first to pair up in the very first year.  He doesn't quite understand why the two don't get along, but he tends to take a calm and phlegmatic air, albeit rather wishy-washy.  Tun gets along with everyone in the fort, and with the sole exception of Astesh, so does Bembul. 

3. The other miner, Tosid Uzolust, is in personality almost the opposite of Tun, being exceptionally stubborn and rather brittle, but the two became fast friends.  He hates romance but easily falls in love, which must have made his courtship with Kivish Bomrekgim, the fort doctor, a very interesting affair.  If he wasn't a calm person, I would suggest that he was basically a male tsundere to Kivish's "brilliant but unmotivated" (female) protagonist. 

4. The farmer Thikut Logemebal is somewhat similar to Bembul in that she dislike conflict and prefers peace, but she's nonetheless shown a bit of an interest in Astesh as a friend.  That said, she's shown very little interest in falling in love, which means that any advance in their relationship may well be unlikely or impossible.  She strongly dislikes the mason, Deler Okilmosus, who can't respect any society that has never encountered any conflict at all, and Deler is more than willing to reciprocate in his disdain of Thikut's "naive" worldview.  This conflict is exacerbated by the fact that Thikut blandly accepts assistance without a hint of gratitude, while Deler always makes a point of being grateful; by the fact that Thikut is an orderly and rational individual while Deler is a slob; and by the fact that Deler is not only unfriendly and disagreeable, but also outright rude at times, while Thikut will tend to take and hold onto any grievance, no matter how trivial. 

I'm hoping for marriages to start emerging in the next couple years.  With DFHack still stuck at 4.23, I can't use gaydar to check the marriage flags; it would be rather embarrassing to find that none of my dwarfs can actually marry.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:07:52 am by Culise »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39266 on: January 22, 2015, 12:49:01 pm »

This year goblins came in amount of 24, with quite a colourful group of various warriors. I have made them a present... and they are admiring it now:

It seems I caught only leaders of those three squads and the rest of goblins is now standing around, wondering what to do (this bug). I have tried assigning war dogs to pens behind those goblins so that when I then release them they will move back to my fort and attack goblins ... well, it seems burrows work a bit else then I have thought so it ended in 5 goblins noticing dog-hauler and attacking him. Squads were nearby so it ended in five dead goblins, one dead hauler and one one-legged sworddwarf. Additional iron legwear and footwear ordered.

The rest of goblins is still admiring their captured leaders. They are better equipped then last year so I don't want to directly attack them.
It is time for plan B:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39267 on: January 22, 2015, 04:51:28 pm »

I got my first goblin siege, so I have metal to give my three legendary weaponsmiths now. Also, my whole military sparred up to legendary.

EDIT: Also a kid I rescued as an adventurer showed up, full grown. You are useless!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:56:19 pm by TheFlame52 »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39268 on: January 22, 2015, 06:58:44 pm »

My current fort is on a 1x1 tundra map.
I noticed there was a small portion of forest biome in the lower right corner.
When the other parts of the map has snow storms, this area just rains.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #39269 on: January 22, 2015, 11:03:49 pm »

Lots of unicorns have visited my fortress. Most get hunted down and turned into trade goods; however, one recently killed two dwarves, gaining the name "Arrosagseth", which translates as "Throwaching", no doubt a reference to how it annoys my marksdwarves.

Looking at its status screen, it's quite wounded. In particular, someone bashed ALL its teeth out. I wonder if I can make <<unicorn tooth amulet>>s...

Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.
Pages: 1 ... 2616 2617 [2618] 2619 2620 ... 3836