Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2621 2622 [2623] 2624 2625 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787048 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39330 on: January 26, 2015, 01:23:23 pm »

"Months ago Dobar Craftevened became mayor of the Rocks of Notching replacing his uncle Rigoth Craftedbeak"

Little tidbits like this make the game feel real.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39331 on: January 26, 2015, 04:18:28 pm »

I now have 3 weaponlords, my population is filling out, I've breached the caverns, I've started to smelt gold, and I'm digging for magma to start my smelting for real.

EDIT: I can't believe I'm saying this, but I need more cats to take care of all these creepy crawlers.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:34:22 pm by TheFlame52 »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39332 on: January 26, 2015, 05:47:10 pm »

Voracious cave crawler bites The Clothier in the right lower leg and the severed part flies off in an arc...

So far, so good. Just this cave crawler was exceptionally trained and x-th generation of a long-standing breeding program (25 years or so), that never made any problems so far and has been a steady source of leather, tallow, meat and bones. The dwarf in question also was a legendary animal trainer, some recent update must have increased aggression among (trained/domestic) animals. Now, I have 20 full-grown cave crawlers fighting each other non-stop in a somewhat small room and I don't really want to interfere. At least the survivors will have names.

(Interestingly the clothier only took a crutch, no need for even cleaning the wound.)

@larix: you are an inspiration to dwarvenkind.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:03:21 pm by taptap »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39333 on: January 26, 2015, 05:48:29 pm »

Voracious cave crawler bites The Clothier in the right lower leg and the severed part flies off in an arc...

So far, so good. Just this cave crawler was exceptionally trained and x-th generation of a long-standing breeding program (25 years or so), that never made any problems so far and has been a steady source of leather, tallow, meat and bones. The dwarf in question also was a legendary animal trainer, some recent update must have increased aggression among (trained/domestic) animals. Now, I have 20 full-grown cave crawlers fighting each other non-stop in a somewhat small room and I don't really want to interfere. At least the survivors will have names.

(Interestingly the clothier only took a crutch, no need for even cleaning the wound.)
You can't clean a shin that isn't there.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39334 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:57 pm »

"Months ago Dobar Craftevened became mayor of the Rocks of Notching replacing his uncle Rigoth Craftedbeak"

Little tidbits like this make the game feel real.
Yeah, better if he tells us why.

A possessed dorf created a rock bed. I gave it to a stressed soldier.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:20:35 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39335 on: January 27, 2015, 02:00:36 am »

have a wonderful fort going, silver, and the stuff to make steal. even some gold. all is going well, my fps is in the 70 when all of a sudden it hits 50, then 40, then 25, then 14!!!! after having this fort for 3 in game years i can not for the life of me figure out why. i scourer the forums, wiki and redit for answers. i go to df hack to see if the caverns are having some issues. nothing. the only thing that changed was i got a migration wave of three dwarfs. i give up hope of playing this fort. s i start killing things with df hack and raining lava. my forest starts to burn and i wait for my fps to drop to 1. but instead it goes up. my entire forest is nothing but twigs and ash and i am once again at 70 fps!!!!  the tree huggers will be pissed but i dont care.

any idea why my forest decided to kill me all of a sudden?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39336 on: January 27, 2015, 02:02:34 am »

Leaf and fruit item spatters. I recommend using large address aware and df hack's clean map item command to compensate where needed.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39337 on: January 27, 2015, 02:29:58 am »

Leaf and fruit item spatters. I recommend using large address aware and df hack's clean map item command to compensate where needed.
weird part was i had done that, it was one of the first things i did. the cleaning that is
whats large address aware and how do i use it?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39338 on: January 27, 2015, 02:47:34 am »

weird part was i had done that, it was one of the first things i did. the cleaning that is
whats large address aware and how do i use it?

Just look it up, download, and enable it on the dwarf fortress .exe if you got plenty of RAM. Simple enough and it's keeping my games at roughly 34.11 levels. Very roughly.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39339 on: January 27, 2015, 04:50:29 am »

Heck yes! My adventurer just arrived in my fortress. Also with a Hydra tooth crown. Although he is missing his Steel two-handed sword i will give him the finest gear available. He will be grand champion and live better than the king.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39340 on: January 27, 2015, 06:43:50 am »

trying to figure out two things at the moment. two necromancers keep trying to sneak into my fortress, and everytime i get a siege, the game pauses and when i unpause the game the siege is gone.

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39341 on: January 27, 2015, 09:25:45 am »

Gangtours has come into a golden (or perhaps silver) age in its third year.

The militia has been recycled several times. They have been wiped out by eagle corpses and undead mountain goats before they could be trained properly to deal with such threats. Worst of all was an undead cobra which succeeded in killing two squads of armed and armored dwarves, one squad melee, the others marksdwarves. He was finally crushed to death by a drawbridge.

Fortunately more suicidal migrants kept appearing each season, swelling the fortress numbers to 135. With so much man, er, dwarfpower, available, the outer walls are now fully constructed. Instead of fortifications atop the multi-z-level walls, they are lined with weapon traps and the tiles just inside the walls are lined with spike traps. If a siege proves too mighty, the main tunnel gate can be shut underground, and hostile traffic diverted through the hall of death.

Metals seem to be scarce, despite what the embark screen said. Lots of silver, though. So Gangtours will become known for its squads of silver-hammered hammer lords.

The last eagle corpse was easily wiped off the map by the now combat-hardened troops. The days of random undead trash earning names of respect by killing dozens of civilians and soldiers seem to be at an end. It has been... oh, several days, at least, since a new tomb has been dug.

The hunters are free to roam about, killing elephants and cassowaries. The most proficient hunter was rewarded with a hunting leopard from the last elven caravan which has helped increase the meat stores of the fortress to record numbers. Food and drink now flow like rivers from the kitchens as they work around the clock to produce only the most exquisite delicacies.

Now we just need to expand the army a bit more and wait something deadly to come along to test the might of the fortress.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39342 on: January 27, 2015, 09:29:36 am »

trying to figure out two things at the moment. two necromancers keep trying to sneak into my fortress, and everytime i get a siege, the game pauses and when i unpause the game the siege is gone.

Yep, I have seen that happening as well. I thought they suddenly enter stealth mode but nope, they apparently just leave the area.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39343 on: January 27, 2015, 09:49:14 am »

My fort has been made a barony.

This is the weapon of my outpost liaison.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #39344 on: January 27, 2015, 11:14:20 am »

Is that the one that killed off your starting seven?

It's kinda cool. Gives the world backstory.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 2621 2622 [2623] 2624 2625 ... 3835