Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2623 2624 [2625] 2626 2627 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787239 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39360 on: January 28, 2015, 02:21:13 am »

Goblin siege of year 12:

When the message appeared, I sent the baroness alone to kill the goblins. I thought there were only 10 goblins. But when the noble stepped out of the hatch, bolts and arrows began to rain down upon her.
I still thought she could manage until I saw trolls in the unit list. It appeared the first 10 were just a squad of them. The old dorf soon became overexerted.

"I'm panicing! I'm panicing!"

So I sent another two to help her. Together they slaughtered all invaders with ease. No one got hurt.

Now they'll face the more difficult part: dumping all the corpses/limbs without horrifying anyone.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39361 on: January 28, 2015, 07:16:47 am »

Playing my first fortress ever.

After the creation of the 4th artifact, the 2nd one has magically changed and now has an engraving that depicts said 4th, which didn't come to be until a year after.  8)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39362 on: January 28, 2015, 08:18:41 am »

I really need to consider blunt weapons next time.
40 goblins and trolls means hundreds of body parts.

::)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39363 on: January 28, 2015, 01:14:40 pm »

uh-oh, guess I should pay more attention to the personality traits of dwarves from now on. One of my hammerlords started stumbling around aimlessly. Checked her traits and she "cracks under the slightest pressure" and has been getting really freaked out over killing tons of undead stuff recently. Everyone else in her squad is ok, but her stress levels are over 300k.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #39364 on: January 28, 2015, 02:07:19 pm »

Well, this happened.

When you see it, you'll shit bricks. Or dreams.

It's a barrel with a wheelbarrow in it, which has that barrel in it, which has a barrel with a wheelbarrow in it- BARJAFUADWADAWDW *shits bricks*

Umm... no.  Didn't you notice that it's a "Fat Barrel (tower-cap) <#7> Barrel (hardwood) <#2>"?

That means that it's a barrel, inside of a wheelbarrow, inside of a barrel.

See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63417.msg3502097#msg3502097:

Dear Urist McStockpileDrone

I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If this was some sort of joke, mission accomplished. If not, please seek professional pyciatric help, and possibly a new line of work.

Signed,
Your Very Confused Overseer,
Joben
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39365 on: January 28, 2015, 03:45:11 pm »

My captain of the guard got his upper arm bitten by a werekangaroo so he's been sealed into a private barracks to become a legendary wrestler.
My baroness committed suicide by throwing a tantrum on a bridge and deconstructing said bridge while still standing in the middle of it.
I've finally pierced the aquifer after 4 years and the dwarves will start on the carved obsidian arena as soon as they finish carving out the expansive marble hospital and smelting all this imported iron into steel with the resultant flux stone.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39366 on: January 28, 2015, 05:16:10 pm »

My fort is coming along fine. I've pierced and trapped all three caverns, begun smelting with magma, and my population is up around 70. My military is small and poorly trained and I have a baroness but not a mayor. If an FB shows up I'm not going to try to fight it. At some point I got a shitty artifact stone ring.

Also I caught some barn owl men but no women, so I can't dump them in a pit and make barn owl hatchlings. I did catch a reacher and a large rat, the reacher will be cannon fodder and the large rat will be domesticated. How can I catch large numbers of animals without lining the map's border with cage traps?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39367 on: January 28, 2015, 07:34:11 pm »

A vile force of Darkness from The Golden Torments has visited. I closed the bridge and let them saunter up and run roughshod over the pasture before releasing the army. Four weaponmasters vs. 10 goblins. No contest. No dwarf got scratched. I later noticed i hadn't told them to replace their x+pig tail caps+< with *iron helmets*, so it probably was a good idea the bowgoblin got distracted before the drunk charge came in.

Of course, everybody freaked out while moving the chopped-up goblins a bit out of the way. And the puppies got scared of the rotten dog corpses in the pasture and sprinted right through the goblin stockpile, leading to much fun for the pasturisers.

That was my first proper 0.40 siege; i switched invaders off somewhere around .40.03 when too many complete armies showed up during first years and didn't re-enable them before .40.20ish.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39368 on: January 28, 2015, 07:54:52 pm »

Peach leaves are falling.

I've never noticed tree leaves falling since quite recent times. Well I knew they DID fall and fruit as well, of course, and I have used fruit alcohol since my first forts in DF2014 (hey, not only it is mostly free alcohol, but it is variety and they never rot) but I've never seen them falling and I didn't thought the game modelled that in.

At first I was thinking "lol is that an outside cave-in?" or "hey is there some kind of bug ? an sort of evil cloud interaction in savage lands ?" and "is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"

And then I looked at the odd clouds.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:58:16 pm by Naryar »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39369 on: January 28, 2015, 08:22:47 pm »

"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"

Always a safe default assumption in this game  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39370 on: January 28, 2015, 10:37:57 pm »

My fort of 20 dorfs became a duchy.
There's no dwarven children, I don't know if it is a problem or a bless.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39371 on: January 29, 2015, 02:57:37 am »

falling leaves: "is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
You will never find out.

But really, falling leaves may do real things, like make dwarf that likes that type of tree sad and depressed. Or affect cave adaptation state for nearby dwarves. Like "Urist likes oak trees for their spirally leaves. He was depressed after seeing leaves fell down from oak trees recently. He doesn't like Above Ground areas any more."
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39372 on: January 29, 2015, 08:37:21 am »

My first fort with the new release had got up to 100 dwarves, and we were busy carving and building and stuff.  Then the second forgotten beast arrived - a worm with wings that spat webs.  It went for the hospital well, but I had two squads stationed there already, and the other two running from the main cavern entrance.

The dwarves were completely decimated - legendary soldiers as well.

I watched in horror as it started on the rest of the fort, and recruited everyone into Marksdwarves squads.

Still the worm slew everyone.

Until, one lucky +Giant Rat Bolt+ took it out, and it fell to the bottom of the stair well.  I was left with 6 adult dwarves and 6 children and babies.  And a lot of corpses to bury.  At least I got to try out the new emotion and stress system!

Got all but one corpse buried now, and have had a small wave of migrants, so we should be okay.  I was down to only 4 adults at one point when a GCS showed up and took out a miner, and another dwarf to some forgotten madness or other ailment.  One child was lost to a Naked Mole Dog, as there are too many -Trained- cave critters to keep on top of the training.  They all run wild through the fortress as there aren't enough hands to return them to pasture.

The last action was a goblin siege, so I pulled up the drawbridge and conscripted everyone into a Marksdwarf squad.  It turns out that you can kill Goblins with *Giant Olm Bone* bolts, but it takes a lot of shots.  I also now have 6 skilled marksdwarfs though...

Also started mass producing silver bolts, as all the metal bolts I bought from the caravans were outside the fort in the old Depot.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39373 on: January 29, 2015, 08:54:14 am »

Vucar Onulbetan, Weaver has created Vucar Onulbetan, a llama wool left glove!

Serious? Well I'm waiting for the right glove...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39374 on: January 29, 2015, 08:54:19 am »

falling leaves: "is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
You will never find out.

But really, falling leaves may do real things, like make dwarf that likes that type of tree sad and depressed. Or affect cave adaptation state for nearby dwarves. Like "Urist likes oak trees for their spirally leaves. He was depressed after seeing leaves fell down from oak trees recently. He doesn't like Above Ground areas any more."
Urist needs to (wo)man up.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 2623 2624 [2625] 2626 2627 ... 3835