Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2625 2626 [2627] 2628 2629 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786911 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39390 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:03 am »

That one of the mentioned dwarves was named Urist only improves the artifact further.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39391 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:32 am »

Midsummer in Boltclobbered, and things are going fine. My only immigrants this season were a married couple. One of my engravers fell into the stream while fishing and ended up stuck on the other side, so he climbed a tree and fell asleep there. Business as usual. Except for keas stealing all my stuff.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:01:08 am by Plump Helmet »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39392 on: January 30, 2015, 12:32:30 pm »

That one of the mentioned dwarves was named Urist only improves the artifact further.

Hehe, yeah! As far as nobles go, I don't remember King Urist being too much of a hassle when my fort became the Mountainhome. Sadly, he died during a tantrum spiral 38 years ago :(.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39393 on: January 30, 2015, 01:11:15 pm »

Did he constantly make mandates involving daggers? The height of dwarven stereotyping would be King Urist constantly demanding daggers, imprisoning the weaponsmiths when they were not made, throwing a tantrum and causing the collapse of the fort.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39394 on: January 30, 2015, 02:15:07 pm »

Hehe, yeah! As far as nobles go, I don't remember King Urist being too much of a hassle when my fort became the Mountainhome. Sadly, he died during a tantrum spiral 38 years ago :(.
Your fort has been going for forty years?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39395 on: January 30, 2015, 02:19:19 pm »

And your fort isn't FPS-dead yet ? Wow.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39396 on: January 30, 2015, 03:05:02 pm »

Did he constantly make mandates involving daggers? The height of dwarven stereotyping would be King Urist constantly demanding daggers, imprisoning the weaponsmiths when they were not made, throwing a tantrum and causing the collapse of the fort.

I wish!  I've been really lucky when it comes to nobles and their demands.  For instance, my mayor just asks for a quern occasionally, then bans their export.

110 years, actually :).  ~Forty years ago was just when King Urist was killed during a tantrum spiral.  Relicshield was founded in 251.  King Urist died in 323, while the year is now 361.

And your fort isn't FPS-dead yet ? Wow.

I'm at 40-60 fps with a 3x3 map, depending on activity.  I just got a new PC, so I'm hoping that, along with Large Address Aware, will give me a good boost.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:14:54 pm by VerdantSF »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39397 on: January 30, 2015, 03:08:19 pm »

I got visited by a fire imp caravan and lost two dwarves to fire when the caravan guards noticed a tick woman. I was also visited by goblins who were obliterated by my legendary military. I put my troglodytes and plump helmet men in an unclimbable pit, they had some babies but the PHM baby committed suicide by jumping off the access staircase. Dang. The trog babies are fine. I have also begun to domesticate rutherers after getting the first three babies tamed.

Domestication status:
Rutherers: tamed
Cave crocs: need female
Giant toads: need female
Giant olms: need female
Giant rats: need male
Large rats: need male
Bugbats: need female

Troglodites: breeding
Plump helmet men: breeding
Albatross men: need enclosed space
Barn owl men: need female
Reachers: need male
Hungry heads: need female
Gorlaks: need male

EDIT: Also on of my metalsmiths mooded and made a sweet silver anvil. Now my clothier is mooding, let's see what he makes.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:49:24 pm by TheFlame52 »

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39398 on: January 30, 2015, 03:51:38 pm »

Why do people assume that forts will suffer FPS death over time? If waste is atom smashed and animals and dwarves kept within sensible numbers, what would cause FPS to fall?

For old times' sake.

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39399 on: January 30, 2015, 03:57:09 pm »

Because I tend not to intentionally kill off dwarves or animals unless I need meat. I can constantly keep getting milk/cheese/wool/eggs from them if I keep them alive.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #39400 on: January 30, 2015, 04:25:34 pm »

Because I tend not to intentionally kill off dwarves or animals unless I need meat. I can constantly keep getting milk/cheese/wool/eggs from them if I keep them alive.
In other words:
INDUSTRY MUST GROW

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39401 on: January 30, 2015, 04:39:36 pm »

110 years, actually :).  ~Forty years ago was just when King Urist was killed during a tantrum spiral.  Relicshield was founded in 251.  King Urist died in 323, while the year is now 361.
You are crazy. Really really crazy. Probably not even good crazy. Crazy crazy. What is wrong with you?

Also, good to hear that a good new PC can handle DF for that long, considering that I want to take a turn on Deathgate III on my new computer, and the Deathgate forts have a reputation for killing computers. On what version are you?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39402 on: January 30, 2015, 04:59:56 pm »

You are crazy. Really really crazy.

All my forts before this one were abandoned around 5 years or so due to rage quitting when I lost a favorite dwarf or didn't like the embark site after all.  With Relicshield, I decided to just stick with it.  When I discovered that there was no native iron, I went with goblinite instead.  When my absolute favorite dwarf, Edem II, died, I kept going despite the temptation to press that abandon button.  Part of the fun has been dealing with the inevitable losses here and there, but still moving forward as a fortress.

Also, good to hear that a good new PC can handle DF for that long, considering that I want to take a turn on Deathgate III on my new computer, and the Deathgate forts have a reputation for killing computers. On what version are you?

Oh, that's with my old PC.  The new PC is REALLY new, as in I'm trying DF on it tonight after work!  I'm on 34.11.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:05:27 pm by VerdantSF »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39403 on: January 30, 2015, 05:32:09 pm »

34.11, huh? But with an old computer. Let's say 3-5 months... Deathgate III probably won't be too screwed up by the time I get to it.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39404 on: January 30, 2015, 06:50:07 pm »

I do not slaughter dwarves either unless they are nobles making horrible mandates or tantrum risks, but population caps max them out at 200, and animals can be kept only at the levels needed to provide for those 200. Farming is too piss easy in DF and it is very easy to be overflowing with food.

It just seems strange that players think of FPS death as inevitable when a fort's growth can stop at a sensible level.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:52:05 pm by Urist Tilaturist »

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 2625 2626 [2627] 2628 2629 ... 3835