Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2632 2633 [2634] 2635 2636 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787948 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39495 on: February 02, 2015, 11:20:07 am »

I wonder what is a "polite discussion" in DF ? Is it like a discussion but with magma ?

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39496 on: February 02, 2015, 11:47:36 am »

So if there are no dwarves left alive in the world and you start a fort, will you still get migrants? Does Armok just poop out dwarves for your fort to use?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39497 on: February 02, 2015, 11:51:16 am »

Generated new world, accidentally set embark points to 10,000.
I now have 66 livestock and too much sand to even think about.
I think this will be a hilarious fort.
EDIT: Dug a staircase down, hit either the second or the third cavern layer.
THIS IS NOT NORMAL BUT OK

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39498 on: February 02, 2015, 01:58:42 pm »

Generated new world, accidentally set embark points to 10,000.
I now have 66 livestock and too much sand to even think about.
I think this will be a hilarious fort.
EDIT: Dug a staircase down, hit either the second or the third cavern layer.
THIS IS NOT NORMAL BUT OK

Maybe you have raws that all have the same UNDERGROUND_DEPTH values ? so all animals and plants are on all cavern layers.

I know I do considering I play with only one or two cavern layers for FPS saving and for avoiding excessively large amounts of z-levels in my fort.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39499 on: February 02, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »

Maybe you have raws that all have the same UNDERGROUND_DEPTH values ? so all animals and plants are on all cavern layers.

I know I do considering I play with only one or two cavern layers for FPS saving and for avoiding excessively large amounts of z-levels in my fort.
I'm running 0.40.24 with only one change to the raws - adventure mode reactions.
Maybe they were too close together?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39500 on: February 02, 2015, 03:02:25 pm »

Yeah, when you have a king, migrants will come even if you kill everyone. Normally this will scare them off.

This seems like a bug and should change. Kings are not dwarf magnets, and given how horrible many nobles are I expect they might have the opposite effect.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39501 on: February 02, 2015, 03:26:25 pm »

I finally got my first 40.xx goblin siege!!!11!! 1!

Ya so now there are 10 goblins sitting on top of all the undead in the deceased list :|

On a conveniently timed note, the new hospital is fully dug out and being smoothed while the beds are hauled into place, and it has already received its first patients. Next up: expanding the central staircase for wagons, carving minecart tracks down the middle of it, setting up a complex hauling system with said minecart tracks, and setting up the colosseum.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39502 on: February 02, 2015, 04:50:57 pm »

I finally got my first 40.xx goblin siege!!!11!! 1!

Ya so now there are 10 goblins sitting on top of all the undead in the deceased list :|

On a conveniently timed note, the new hospital is fully dug out and being smoothed while the beds are hauled into place, and it has already received its first patients. Next up: expanding the central staircase for wagons, carving minecart tracks down the middle of it, setting up a complex hauling system with said minecart tracks, and setting up the colosseum.
Few questions for reference: how old is that fort, how many dwarves are there, how much wealth was made, how far are those from goblins, are they in war with somebody else? Any ambushes or babysnatchers so far?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39503 on: February 02, 2015, 06:01:09 pm »

I wonder what is a "polite discussion" in DF ? Is it like a discussion but with magma ?

I think it's where all candidates but one have figured out that nobles tend to have strange accidents and graciously bow out to the one guy who just really wants a golden dinner table and the authority to mandate an infinity of silky socks.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39504 on: February 02, 2015, 07:43:59 pm »

One of the migrants to my fort is metal as heck.
A jeweler with tons of kills, a missing right eye, and a missing left cheek.
Every kill is an animal, so certainly not a vampire.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39505 on: February 02, 2015, 07:53:39 pm »

Started new fort today
Embarked next to several goblin sites.

Also embarked with metal and fuel and on a site with metal and flux so yay
Going to put everybody in the military at the start, also going to give everyone armor so I won't have to worry about clothing later on.
This will be a 'everyone is enlisted' fort

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39506 on: February 02, 2015, 08:03:21 pm »

I think it's where all candidates but one have figured out that nobles tend to have strange accidents and graciously bow out to the one guy who just really wants a golden dinner table and the authority to mandate an infinity of silky socks.
Jokes on him, we don't have any gold, the only metal our map has is copper and a tiny amount of silver. All his furniture is going to be clear glass since that's the most valuable thing I can produce.
Dude also has a thing for bracelets. All his mandates so far have been produce bracelets, don't export bracelets, produce bracelets.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39507 on: February 02, 2015, 08:06:37 pm »

Upon embark my fisherman has died by surprise alligator attack
3 others dead from trying to find him
2 others are now heavily injured doing the same
I am left with m one miner and 2 injured idiots

This is only 6 in game days in

E: they are both dead now

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39508 on: February 02, 2015, 09:37:13 pm »

I got annoyed with making charcoal, so went and set up the Magma Express. We got a very odd high-reaching magma sea where the upper levels don't refill. Playing with flow instead of depth indicators, of course i tapped into a pocket that had only 2/7 magma first. Meh. Had to dig two levels deeper and connect down to the main pumping loop. Perhaps i should have used a door instead of a bridge as brake, an ordinary retracting bridge can fling a cart pretty far sometimes. But anyway, two smelters, two forges and a kiln are built and powered and more magma can be had whenever we want.

The second squad (started with one novice swordsdwarf and three rank newbies) is legendary at their weapons now. There was a bit of an equipment issue, though: they were allowed to wear socks originally, which caused them to not wear a boot on the left foot. Seems that this bug is still around. And i removed the metal shield and forgot to assign plain "shield". Good thing no hostile forces were interested in us, although it's really a bit strange. Come on, goblins, don't you want to abduct our kids or something? We have no traps and keep using the surface, we're soooo vulnerable!

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39509 on: February 02, 2015, 10:26:45 pm »

Kol had reduced her stress levels to a mere 315k, down about 50k, which was highly encouraging.

Then she picked a fight with an apparently extremely popular herbalist and killed him. The random weapon squad responded with a vengeance against Kol and her hammerlord squad as Kol continued to attack random passersby until she was cloven nearly asunder and then decapitated in two deft strokes by a legendary miner armed with a steel pick.

Her death was the first in a series of several dozen more which followed quickly as all the witnesses went crazy and tore each other and the fortress apart. The military was doing too good a job of killing everyone, so I assigned kill orders to them for random animals around the map to get them out of the fortress without discouraging them by removing them from service.

Of 190 dwarves there are 135 left. Probably soon to be fewer.

Blast you, Kol. I should have killed you years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 2632 2633 [2634] 2635 2636 ... 3835