Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2633 2634 [2635] 2636 2637 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789294 times)

Djinternet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39510 on: February 02, 2015, 11:49:08 pm »

I thought my great hammerdwarf/metalcrafter/metalsmith immigrant was a war hero, come to assist my fledgling military's efforts against the goblin menace.

He was not.

He was a vampire.

I discovered this the usual way; finding a corpse drained of all blood. I promptly walled him up in an old gold vein, and the dumb bastards almost immediately voted him mayor. During the autumn caravan I (stupidly) temporarily unwalled him so he could speak to a diplomat. Within a minute, maximum, he killed two more sleeping dwarves. I walled him back in. Now he's been possessed and I'm debating whether or not to let him out. If he goes insane, there goes my !!FUN!! failsafe. If he completes his mood I get something fancy, and then he goes and kills more dwarves.

On the one hand, I don't want to lose anyone important. On the other, a third of my population are children....

Decisions, decisions.

Edit: My FPS slowed to a crawl until I let him out, and he made me a adamantine figurine of yaks worth 730800 dwarfbucks instead of something useful. During the time he collected materials, two babies were born, a wereantelope attacked, and a vile force of darkness arrived as soon as he finished. Then instead of going outside like I ordered he went 'On Break' and ate two stoneworkers. Friggin' vampires are bad luck magnets.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:44:06 am by Djinternet »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39511 on: February 03, 2015, 03:25:24 am »

So I've had a 18 migrant wave, and there is everything and anything in it.

On the very good side i've got an accomplished weaponsmith, a high master cook and talented mechanic, a high master leatherworker, a high master glassworker, an Expert in military skills and a Talented in military skills

On the facepalm side i've got an adequate cheesemaker, a talented presser, an accomplished gelder (really), an adequate animal dissector, a talented lye maker.

Lots of carpenters in there. One who is high master as well but he is ALSO good in military skills so he is not going to work wood a lot.

Also that Great brewer, Great milker, Great spinner could have had a better skillset... at least he's a great brewer and will make drinks quickly.

But i'm not complaining.

On the one hand, I don't want to lose anyone important. On the other, a third of my population are children....

Clearly you should make some kind of vampire based child care.

"Child care" as in "taking care of your child problem". Burrows, stations, etc. Wall your children and vampire together, put some beds, food and drink, and build some coffins inside as well.

May cause many negative thoughts in your dwarves, though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:38:31 am by Naryar »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39512 on: February 03, 2015, 06:01:37 am »

Now he's been possessed and I'm debating whether or not to let him out. If he goes insane, there goes my !!FUN!! failsafe.

Only if he goes berserk. Babbling and melancholic vampires make perfect lynchpins. The flags removing vampires' needs to drink, eat, sleep or breathe don't depend on sanity. You just need to make sure a melancholic has no access to a means of suicide (deep drop, magma). As an added bonus, they can't be voted mayor any longer.

Berserk vampires should still be useful as autonomous kill vehicle: just dump them into the cavern or release them at an invasion force. Berserk citizens trigger traps and can be caught in cages, and if they got military skills and equipment before going crazy, they'll keep their gear and make decent use of it.

You missed the opportunity to fix your vampire by letting him out, but don't despair! Vampires can still have their mental health improved by forcing them to drop all their clothes and stand naked in a damp cell for a year or so, preferably in sight of the rotting corpses of their victims.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39513 on: February 03, 2015, 06:07:02 am »

In honour of the late Monty Oum, I'm going to make a new fort, with modded in features from RWBY and Red Vs Blue, and several other things modded out. Everyone will be named in accordance with the Monty Oum Rules of RWBY OC Creation and profession names will be related to Red Vs Blue characters.

It mightn't be much to honour the great guy, but I dunno. I think he'd like seeing how his creations would fare against an army of zombies and a wererabbit whilst simultaneously holding off an eldritch abomination from the dawn of Time.

abysmalduke

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHNIC:NO_FUN:EXILE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39514 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42:03 am »

Playing on a 17x17 (forgot the exact size, but the largest possible though) Terrifying Freezing Tundra biome. We dug ourselves in under the first cave layer which seems to be pretty much free from creatures discounting giant moles and beloved vermin.

We got our first migrant wave of 3. One of them is a Ranger. She was terrified by an giant undead horned owl which snatched off both of her legs and then decapitated her out of misery. What a waste of a proficient Ranger and crossbow bolts.

I should start considering getting loads of Maceknights assigned to patrol the surface. Despite the reanimating biome, all of them are spawned from the map's edges.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:46:46 am by abysmalduke »

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39515 on: February 03, 2015, 07:03:35 am »

The human caravan arrived. As soon as the merchants were unpacked, my militia commander, one of the founding seven and Expert Hammerdorf, declared himself King, and exempt from military duty. As Hammerking, he mandates picks and rings.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39516 on: February 03, 2015, 11:00:17 am »

Just collapsed my first layer of ice to irrigate on my first on a waterless embark (like none in caverns, usually I abandon when this happens). No deaths. Good job dorfs, now kill those Yetis.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39517 on: February 03, 2015, 11:06:23 am »

Urist McMiner has now spent half a year digging out the fort, his fort, for half a year. Storage is finished and his pal the war dog is his only company. his idiotic friends lay dead near a pond outside, these places will be remembered.
Urist McMiner has dug out everything, by himself.
He is preparing the fort for new friends to come soon
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39518 on: February 03, 2015, 11:26:07 am »

Urist McMiner has now spent half a year digging out the fort, his fort, for half a year. Storage is finished and his pal the war dog is his only company. his idiotic friends lay dead near a pond outside, these places will be remembered.
Urist McMiner has dug out everything, by himself.
He is preparing the fort for new friends to come soon

This has all the markings of the start of a good horror story.

Hopefully Urist McMiner isn't too possessive of his fortress or his new friends may meet his old friends.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39519 on: February 03, 2015, 11:39:40 am »

I don't even know if they were friends but all 6 of the other starters (whom I put a lot of points into training for embark, and few in the miner.)) died from aligator attack
the others tried to defend eachother, the miner just kept working
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Nomad_Monad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39520 on: February 03, 2015, 03:18:47 pm »

A web-spitting, dwarf-stomping quadruped of coral visited my fort, and was greeted with a swift pick to the brain.  I thought that was the end of it.

I forgot that it left some webs in the entrance hall.  The hall filled with razor-sharp serrated disc traps.  Traps that visitors need to carefully tiptoe around.

I only remembered when the announcements feed alerted me to an impromptu episode of Will It Blend?

As it turns out, outpost liaisons blend.

I probably didn't make the best impression on the mountainhome that year.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39521 on: February 03, 2015, 03:42:14 pm »

I finally got my first 40.xx goblin siege!!!11!! 1!

Ya so now there are 10 goblins sitting on top of all the undead in the deceased list :|

On a conveniently timed note, the new hospital is fully dug out and being smoothed while the beds are hauled into place, and it has already received its first patients. Next up: expanding the central staircase for wagons, carving minecart tracks down the middle of it, setting up a complex hauling system with said minecart tracks, and setting up the colosseum.
Few questions for reference: how old is that fort, how many dwarves are there, how much wealth was made, how far are those from goblins, are they in war with somebody else? Any ambushes or babysnatchers so far?

No babysnatchers or ambushes.
Wealth just passed the 1 million mark, with 100 odd dwarves. I'm 5 years in. The goblins are middling distance away - I'm not right next door, but I'm not across the map from them either. Toothe best of my knowledge, the dwarves are the only ones that the goblins are fighting. I am at war with the elves.

Of note with this fort though, is that I've been exporting vast sums since the first caravan. All my metal is caravan bought, and I have a very prodigious metalworking industry. I buy every metal item the caravans offer. Perhaps the disproportionately high exported wealth played a role?

The other thing is that they arrived in the same year that I pierced the aquifer and drafted a bunch of dwarves to work on mining non-stop.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

abysmalduke

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHNIC:NO_FUN:EXILE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39522 on: February 03, 2015, 04:07:03 pm »

A weasel corpse breached into our surface door and somehow kept its' intelligence and went straight the whole way down to our cave fortress and broke havoc.

They are still fighting ever since 1-2 weeks after I sent the whole fort on it. Fighting right ontop of a bed in the provisional hospital placed near the entrance. The main reason behind this stretched out fight is due to all attacks being glanced away by it's normal skin. If this keeps going on, my fort will eventually dehydrate to death.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39523 on: February 04, 2015, 07:01:12 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!
10 goblins 4-5 years in, the forts first siege. The militia consists of 20 melee dwarves, all dabbling wrestlers with no weapons, and 10 marksdwarves.
Immediately ordered the closing of the compound drawbridges, and at this point Armok chose to send us a little blessing. The gobbos chased and killed someone's pet chicken, then since they couldn't see another target, stopped to think. On the east drawbridge. :D
A few seconds later the bridge rises and flings them into the sky. I paused to take a commemorative picture at this point.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sadly none of them died from the fall. One landed inside the compound fairly unharmed, while the rest ended up in the trench two levels below where they started, each with an arm mangled beyond recognition. The bow/crossbow part of their force unfortunately avoided being on the bridge at the time.
At this point things got messy. I dispatched the entire militia to deal with the speargoblin who landed inside the walls (you can see him in the pic). One dwarf died before a marksdwarf imploded his skull with a bronze crossbow. One down, nine to go:
At this point I remembered my melee had no weapons (I like to train their wrestling for a bit first), so I ordered them to grab their favored weapon and sent them into the trench. To be able to mine away entire layers while still giving my miners a way out, I had an entrance dug down and come in through the window of the future barons office. Pictured here after the battle:
This was now a problem as it meant the gobbos in the trench could get in, so out march my brave dwarves to defend their home. Things go pretty well, now that they have actual weapons and are fighting weakened opponents, they are a lot more effective. The fight is not without losses however, as those in trench still fight back with all they have, and several dwarves fall. In addition the ranged gobbos who are still outside are raining as many projectiles as possible on forces in the trench. Most of the heavy fighting took place here:
At this point the tide of battle had decidedly turned in our favour, lowering the bridges I unleashed my dwarves on the four remaining gobbos, and they are dispatched with as much brutality as possible, my milita commander, armed with our artefact silver shield and artefact badger bone short sword is by far the most effective member of my forces, his shield bashes exploded at least a half dozen goblin body parts. The remains of the goblins final stand:

And that's how the first siege of Mansionshank went down. In the end we lost 2 melee soldiers and 4 marksdwarves, plus at least 4 civilians who got caught outside the walls. This makes the third time my broker has been almost killed. It was not most impressive siege, just 10 average gobbos, but it was most enjoyable battle I've had in some time. Military development has been slow this fort, normally by the time I get my first siege I have 20 odd weaponlords ready to rip them apart, but this time I didn't, and I quite enjoyed having to earn my victory. Now I just have to clean up the enormous mess it left behind.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39524 on: February 04, 2015, 08:06:38 am »

Goblins came.
Goblins died.
Dorfs burried corpses.
Human caravan came.
I made a mistake: I pressed s instead of q(dfhack search).
Player has been enraged!
Dorfs killed all humans.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 2633 2634 [2635] 2636 2637 ... 3835