Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2634 2635 [2636] 2637 2638 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788831 times)

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #39525 on: February 04, 2015, 09:08:51 am »

So of the 30 military dwarves, most of which were legendary, 10 remain. 55+ dwarves were slain in what could only be described as the faction war of 117. Things seemed to have calmed down, and everyone got underway burrying the dead.

Then a forgotten weasel beast flew up through the well pit where it opened up below the well in a tomb (didn't think to wall it off, silly me) and killed perhaps half a dozen more, either killing them outright, or throwing them down said well, before swooping back down into the depths.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #39526 on: February 04, 2015, 11:01:31 am »

As it turns out, outpost liasons blend.
Mind if I sig this?
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39527 on: February 04, 2015, 11:03:10 am »

<please remove, should read before posting>
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:19:41 am by taptap »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39528 on: February 04, 2015, 11:12:38 am »

It seems the goblins are running out of soldiers. They sent only 10 this year.

Half of them were killed by upward spear traps, the other half were dropped through a bridge.
But the dorfs refused to pull levers after that because they could "see" the goblins, so I had to turn them into military mode to deal with some survivors.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39529 on: February 04, 2015, 01:26:20 pm »

I've noticed something odd through most of my forts.
Dwarves engrave alot more of people getting struck down by monsters then there are engravings of hero's killing the monsters.
Whats even wirder is dwarves are "blissful" after dining in the dinning hall that has sevral images of titans smacking down people left and right and a picture of a cod in the middle of it.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #39530 on: February 04, 2015, 01:48:04 pm »

Earlier to the year, the loved mayor of Friendlyoiled met their untimely end when an unhappy citizen went on a rampage, pummeling several people and beating up the mayor to such condition that they succumbed to their injuries before anyone could even move them to the hospital.

As result, the Captain of the Guard found the criminal and delivered justice. The criminal did not survive. Winter arrives, and I am treated to a surprising announcement. The same dwarf who killed the mayor and was killed in return had risen from the dead as a ghost. It was odd, considering how she had been buried properly already, in fact, her detestable bones still litter the coffin she was unfit for(did I forget to mention the previous mayor was the fort's best weaponsmith?).

And that is the story of how I had to bury and memorialize a dwarf who had been quite a pain in the forts collective ass for several years due to being a ticking timebomb of stress and violent outbursts.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39531 on: February 04, 2015, 02:43:48 pm »

After few years of slowly going down with corkscrew patterns of tunnels and ramps, installing safe doors, hatches, bridges and railways, making exploratory shafts and stockpiles every few levels and occasional ore minings, Dorrenimar (Diamnondpath) has finally revealed the caverns after six years of existence, three sieges and becoming a mountainhome. This happens when one makes a fort in just few upper levels and then goes those 50 more left in a veeery slow way -.-

Edit: Reading through Legends now. The world is small and has basically elves and goblins to the west, dwarves and humans to the east and mountains in the middle. It surprisingly seems goblins are fighting dwarves and elves are fighting humans though that makes both of them go for the further target.

These world news are also making a bit more sense now. There seems to be just just like a half a dozen of actual sieges of that town so I guess just lot of new single-human groups left it before each siege. Though I have read it first each of those is for a separate siege so thought few dozen sieges happened there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:21:01 pm by Detros »
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39532 on: February 04, 2015, 03:33:18 pm »

I discovered one lucky dwarf who was still quite happy despite the horrific in-fighting. He was once a hunter, currently a grand master archer, and was sitting around -16k stress. Upon checking his personality, I saw that he was "impervious to the effects of stress." He is now the leader of the marksdwarf squad. Similarly, I am attempting to find other dwarves who are not too busy and also effectively stress resistant to fill out all the empty ranks of the hammer squad.

I do believe Armok is testing the fortitude of the remaining 113 dwarves of Gangtours. In addition to the seemingly endless batch of corpses which need to be buried, and the flying weasel beast in the basement, the fortress is under siege by goblins and trolls.

As before, the two main gates were sealed, forcing the invaders through the Tunnel of Death. They fought and killed the four undead goblins from the last invasion easily, just before I shut the outer door, forcing them to continue forward. They marched along in mostly single-file along the single-tile-wide corridor until they reached the Pit of Despair.

The fastest goblin tripped the pressure plate on the opposite side of the room, dumping everyone behind him into the 3x6 pit filled with at least 90 different weapons. So far, none of them have made it past the wooden balls to the serrated disks. The quick green goblin then ran head-long into a bunch of spike traps and expired. This has repeated a couple times. My few hammerlords are mopping up any critically injured goblins who manage to limp through the traps past the pressure plate (need more traps there, apparently).

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39533 on: February 04, 2015, 04:07:50 pm »

The long-sitting mayor and captain of the second squad (legendary swordsdwarf) got stressed over being out in the rain. "Cracks easily under preassure" and dislikes nature. Hmpf. I'm sort of tempted to make him baron, because he's a bit of a prick with annoying item preferences and barons are clearly intended as a punishment. Anyway, i set up a third melee squad to train up civilians to give them better attributes (probably let them keep a weapon and shield upon return to civilian life), put the mayor in charge of it and placed the barracks of that squad underground. Had to switch the barracks off and on again because Linkot the administrative idiot decided to do individual combat drill and let the green recruits do their own training. Right, that's why i put you, a weaponmaster with four legendary military skills, accomplished teacher and Expert+ in all defensive skills at the head of that squad. Grrr.

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39534 on: February 04, 2015, 06:48:35 pm »

A child went berserk after a strange mood and got mangled and mutilated by the militia. The corpse is now in the refuse hoard among the bones.

You know, boring everyday stuff.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39535 on: February 04, 2015, 07:04:12 pm »

The long-sitting mayor and captain of the second squad (legendary swordsdwarf) got stressed over being out in the rain. "Cracks easily under preassure" and dislikes nature.
They can stay in a pond without a problem, but can't withstand rain.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39536 on: February 04, 2015, 11:27:35 pm »

A weremoose annihilated my military and infected three dwarves before transforming back into a human.  She fled into an enclosed pasture and was promptly lynched by civilian dwarves who were coming out to bury the dead.  With the fort now vulnerable to goblin and undead sieges, I decided to turn a bad situation to my dwarves' advantage.  Two words:

Werebeast. Berserkers.

Miners dug out a cave for the infected dwarves, separated from the fortress by a good distance.  Carpenters blocked the entrance with a wooden wall and roof, controlling access with a lever-linked drawbridge.  The three infected dwarves were burrowed to the cave and formed into a new squad, called Wild Fury.  They were to train to fight naked, since their wereforms were far too large for dwarven armor or clothes.  In battle, they were to wield silver war hammers and steel shields.  Now, the enemies of Nutsmansion would learn to fear the night.

Of course, everything did not work out quite as planned.  Unfortunately, it seems that military dwarves on active duty treat any werebeasts as enemies, even their own squad mates.  Thus, after their first month of training, the members of Wild Fury changed into wereform, milled around their barracks doing nothing (I had locked them in, of course), changed back to dwarven form and immediately started trying to kill each other.  Oddly enough, the one that survived was the fisherdwarf.  Not the former captain of the guard, or the former axedwarf, but the fisherdwarf.

I can just imagine her shouting, "There can be only one!" as she caved their skulls in.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39537 on: February 05, 2015, 01:34:50 am »

Werebeast. Berserkers.
I am immensely saddened to hear that didn't work.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39538 on: February 05, 2015, 02:07:50 am »

The humans sent another caravan.
This time I dumped all the large junks from their previous caravan to them.

For some reason, it just feels more content to "sell" things than atom-smash them.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39539 on: February 05, 2015, 05:42:35 am »

I have once again come to the conclusion that it works best to start a fort, abandon it as soon as possible and reclaim, so that you start out with rooms pre-made and shit.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 2634 2635 [2636] 2637 2638 ... 3835