Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2676 2677 [2678] 2679 2680 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5851765 times)

Morsion

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Older The Beard The More Respect.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40155 on: March 05, 2015, 11:57:22 am »

Got Hugged By Stupid Elves Because of the Stupid "Do Not Cut Down Tree's Policy"   ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Would Hate To See Armok Drunk.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40156 on: March 05, 2015, 01:44:32 pm »

My elites have finally adapted to the sun again. It may seem like the surface would be the safer place, and indeed it's been like Ghibli fucking Hills around here, but I have reason to expect the worst to come topside, which is harder to defend. In this iteration of the world, more megas survived and my adventurers didn't kill any of them before starting this fort. This mountain range has a a colossus, two dragons, one mountain and one desert titan and there's an evil range bordering on this one, within 7 world tiles of my city.

But the only invaders since the FB have been naked mole dogs -- more bones to dispose of in marksman practice. It's been quiet enough to keep me on edge.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40157 on: March 05, 2015, 03:38:11 pm »

WanderedFences survived a 79 goblin/troll siege with one marksdwarf casualty. Things have mostly been quiet ever since. We have mined enough adamantine to give a select 5 dwarf melee squad adamantine helms and mail shirts. The rest is all steel. Cave crocs have laid eggs, but none have hatched yet. Our stores overflow with masterpiece roasts and a torrent of drink. The vast living areas are being smoothed. A drowning chamber has been constructed and holds the last of our unwanted trolls. (We have enough for the zoo.) We are just waiting for the river to thaw, and look forward to using it on the goblins.

I'm not too sure what to do now. I have prepared a simple arena for the clowns. My military would stand no chance against them head-on, but if I can isolate them in groups, we might be able to take them on.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40158 on: March 05, 2015, 06:17:15 pm »

The minimal minecart grinder works adequately: we were visited by a siege of 80 units, but they quickly decided it wasn't worth continuing after twenty of them ended up somewhat flat. A few stragglers brought the count to 26. Interestingly, sieges break and turn tail fairly quickly when they can see the corpses of their comrades, but won't do so if there are no corpses (i.e. atomsmashed).

I hadn't really thought of the thing as a minecart grinder, but some posts mentioned it and yes, it works as a grinder. It's not very flashy, though. I built a design with several of them chained up and some machinery in place to work as a reliable off-switch, and of course the trolls went and blocked the first cart while they took a hatch apart. Once they got moving again, they spread out and were quickly annihilated. Nonetheless, empty silver carts have trouble when trolls decide to clump together.

And then there was the annoying winged monitor lizard that was camping in the third cavern level: it was completely stuck in place (in the air) for years. It was the only beast that was still alive, simply because it wouldn't path inside.
So we built a four-level pump stack from the magma sea directly below the cavern floor, carved a spout into the wall two levels above it and let the magma flow. Took a bit of fiddling around with an extra spout to actually hit it and we created two sizable magma pools, but it patiently waited until it was doused in magma, caught fire and died. Power comes from an aquifer channel across a gradient, sent down to the bottom via a 60z vertical power trunk built a few years ago just for the hell of it.

This is a no-military tinkering fort (started with "how to punch through an aquifer with a cave-in"); current score: 957 hostile dead (forgotten beasts, kobolds, megabeasts, goblins and the sieges we got after spiking the human demonic lawgiver), 186 non-hostile, of which less than ten were citizens, about half of which died to hostile action, half to accidents.

Rammok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40159 on: March 05, 2015, 06:47:42 pm »

My caverns are filled with undead zombies sprouting tentacles, led by a Chasm (whatever that is)

And they can ressurect eachother.

Now there are 60 corpses. How am i gonna clear that out

Chasm Aboleths. Welcome to the Dark Ages.

I had to pull a BoatMurdered to purge the land of this evil. From 130 pop to 43.

Nice. Do let me know if you are getting too, too many Chasm Aboleths. I'm still unclear about the extent of their cavern shenanigans.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40160 on: March 05, 2015, 07:37:59 pm »

The dwarven caravan is late...

On another note, my GDS are breeding like rabbits, but I'm not going to cage them yet. They are my animal trainers' bodyguards.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40161 on: March 05, 2015, 07:47:26 pm »

Possessed dwarf made a divine weapon:

Other than that it's pretty bland.

Any way to determine its stats? I mean, ranged weapons are already pretty godly as it is...
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40162 on: March 05, 2015, 07:53:48 pm »

Problem is its ammo. You need to buy arrows.
Or you can give a melee dwarf and hope he uses it like a sword.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40163 on: March 05, 2015, 07:57:38 pm »

====
deleted
====
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40164 on: March 05, 2015, 08:13:39 pm »

Hill titan came, a flying slug. I dispatched Macelord Kib, the stressed one, and he killed it easily. He earned a title, but I don't have DF up right now to see it. That makes five titled dwarves.

The dwarven caravan also arrived - I guess it was just a few weeks late.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40165 on: March 06, 2015, 04:27:47 am »

Problem is its ammo. You need to buy arrows.
Or you can give a melee dwarf and hope he uses it like a sword.

The latter is no good - bows are roughly equivalent to training swords. I'd expect them to perform much worse in melee than crossbows, and crossbows can't do damage through metal armour ("can't" as in "20 pages of crossbow bashes to the helmeted head, every single one deflected, kill achieved by fist-punch"). The material properties and design of the weapon make it categorically unsuitable, artefact quality doesn't change that.

You can buy arrows from elves and humans; elves have wooden arrows which are only good for training, humans have metal arrows at double the normal going rate. Those sources provide enough arrows to train one or two bowdwarfs. Arrows can also be scavenged from invaders (or caravan guards) from civilisations that use bows - all but dwarfs can send bow-users. You just need to disarm them before they empty their quivers.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40166 on: March 06, 2015, 05:03:46 am »

My population hits 190 during the last wave. FPS is so slow I thought about retiring the fortress, but I do want to finish the mega project so I'll rather retire some potash makers. Big thanks to Dwarf Therapist, I'm sorting out the wheat from the chaff to atom smash some useless ones.
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40167 on: March 06, 2015, 05:11:29 am »

The Elf Caravan arrived with two Giant Snapping Turtles! They're both female though... I've bought them both anyway to give the Elves a "hint" that I want a male one next year (I know that it doesn't work that way, but it'll make me feel more justified when I make the Diplomat trap when they start coming).
I've got an above ground operation going on near the depot given that I have a Legendary Carpenter and Bowyer as-well-as a High-Master Wood Burner and a bunch of High-Master Cheese Makers Wood Haulers on site, I like to think that the Elves are horrified coming to a fort that is littered with tens of thousands of logs, with a huge Wood Warehouse just down the road from the Trade Depot.
I'm sad to say that my slightly modded elves aren't as awesome as I'd hoped, I changed their Ethics so that they'd issue Capital Punishment on anyone that harmed a plant, and gave them Acceptable to making trophies out of their own people... I've yet to see a single Elf adorned with hundreds of Elf Bone Earrings/Amulets/etc. though.

Anyway, yeah Elves, what are they good for?
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #40168 on: March 06, 2015, 06:25:59 am »

Wintersteel has came to an end. Was it Goblins? No. Was it Elves? No. Was it nobles? Not even that evil scourge.

It was magma eating through trees in one cavern layer, and falling through to another, flooded cavern below. Slowly it crept, inch by inch, it crept across the upper cavern, eating through tree roots to drop below, creating a massive block of obsidian, and rendering the game unplayable due to fps drop.

It didn't help that I had a bugged caravan who wouldn't leave. So I walled in my dwarves, walled up major stockpiles, and abandoned it to ruin. I never did finish my drop tower.

medivo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40169 on: March 06, 2015, 07:01:11 am »

I reclaimed a 1x1 fort from world gen. Nifty looking thing with a single mineshaft all the way down to a magma forge,  set up by the magma sea. Get some farms sorted out and the perimiter secured. The biome has wild rhinos, so I catch a couple for millitary duty. All is going well.

Until a wereASS turns up not long after my 1st migrant wave has gotten settled and im exploring the ruins with my tiny millitary of recruits. It murders half my fort before being put down. One soldier miraculously regrows large chunks of damage and is walled away in the cataçombs. I sit and wait for the 3injured dwarfs to die of their wounds before they turn.

Suddenly, one jumps up and continues the were-rampage. He gets ko'd by a charging warrhino, and my only surviving dwarf picks up a spear and stabs the weredwarf in the head.

I now have one dwarf trying to carve coffins for the dead, and both of the injured war rhinos have just magically healed themselves. I think I might be in for some fun bond the next full moon!
Pages: 1 ... 2676 2677 [2678] 2679 2680 ... 3836