Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2679 2680 [2681] 2682 2683 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857691 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #40200 on: March 07, 2015, 03:53:35 pm »

Woo! My little trap worked! Stupid goblins and humans always coming in the same spot!

EDIT: So after the humans and their animals were either caught or minced, the military got there just in time to discover ambush after ambush of lion tamarin men. There was like a page and a half of them. The ground is waist-deep in corpses. Seriously.

EDIT2: Judging by the number of weapons, there were 50 lion tamarin men. But that doesn't include animals and recruits.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 04:19:56 pm by TheFlame52 »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40201 on: March 07, 2015, 05:19:14 pm »

Werelephant got right up to my front gate! I had war dogs and wild boars posted to watch over the gatherers, but they were nowhere to be found. They weren't missing, they just didn't stay put -- ever since the weaver died at that bridge, I haven't been able to get animals to stay in pasture there. I figured putting him to rest would solve that problem.

Anyway, my elites were training on the hillside just a jog away with a few other units, and they intercepted it a little after it reached the chicken pasture and turned one into a bloody explosion of feathers with one swipe. 4 hammerdwarfs and a marksman stayed on him, and I invited another marksman watching from the hill and feeling vengeful. None of them had silver bolts on them! No, they save those to shoot into the river and trees!

I think they broke every bone and organ in him before they finally got through his skull. He managed to bite my marksman and tear his hand off -- you'd think amputating would stop any infection, but from adventurer mode I know Dwarf Fortress doesn't work that way. Having a regenerating soldier who occasionally becomes a killing machine could be quite an asset. I just need to figure out the mood phases, so I know when to leash him inside, or unleash him outside.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40202 on: March 07, 2015, 08:44:21 pm »

Half my adamantine is flooded, a few miners drowned and the caves are rapidly going underwater, but it's a lot harder for the gorram magma crabs to get in. And that's what's important, right?
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40203 on: March 07, 2015, 08:59:51 pm »

Cave croc killed a kid; so sad.

Was all excited to get a buildable volcano for once... until I realized that it was completely easy mode, and didn't have anything challenging nearby  :(

When you look to punish yourself - you've been playing DF too long.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40204 on: March 07, 2015, 10:44:04 pm »

Reclaimed my previous fort, cleaned the myriad of items all over the map thanks to "autodump" dfhack and finished the last small section of the walls the previous terrified cowards couldn't.

Then after a couple of completely uneventful year of improving the place i got another invasion from the undead (while none of the other races i had ever showed up) .
For some reason the necromancer charged alone and stopped near my raised bridge , with disapointement i noticed he never tried to climb the simple 1 tile high wooden wall and stayed there for a long while
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

while his legion of undead stayed far behind, waiting on the location for no obvious reason , at least i wasn't expecting them to climb that small wooden wall, so they didn't disapointed.

After a long time, the necromancer disappeared, i didn't checked what he was doing and he probably got bored of being unable to climb that short wooden wall .
But oddly, his undead legion was staying and didn't left the map with him, after a month i gave a closer look to the unit list as i started to notice that not all of those units were having the flickering Ñ .

And to my surprise i noticed there were indeed several living soldiers amongst the undead army, sure they're my custom duergar , but i made their raw with just a copy of the goblin creature and entity entries, they have no special power or anything that would allow them to not be immediately targetted by undead and they're not necromancer so i don't see any reason why the undead weren't trying to kill them on the spot like they do in adventure mode for anything not undead or necromancer.
Probably just another bug.

Oh well, didn't disturbed my fortress life much as it's pretty self-sustaining by now with water from my wells and food from my farm, and the recently discovered cavern that i carefully walled for now that can provide more if whatever bad happens to my ever increasing food stockpile.

I hope to see non undead invaders that can climb one day, never saw any so far while playing 40.x
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:52:32 pm by Robsoie »

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40205 on: March 07, 2015, 11:05:57 pm »

I had setup a classic trap of "pressure plate triggers retracting bridge dumping guys on bridge into water pit" and moved on to other things...

I notice "Siege has ended" flash by. Wait, what? I check back in the logs, and sure enough, a small Goblin siege had spawned, been triggered the pit trap, and all died a watery death.

SUCCESS

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40206 on: March 08, 2015, 01:28:40 am »

My cooks managed to Planepacked a roast... that weighs in at a whopping 722 urists, and is worth 7,629,748 ☼. Which is about 70% of my forts total created wealth (11067181 ☼)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:31:48 am by Tenderroast »

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40207 on: March 08, 2015, 02:58:57 am »

Does... Does each roast weigh 722 urists? I'm imagining every dwarf spending a few days carrying their meal to the dining room and starving to death with a pile of food in their arms.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40208 on: March 08, 2015, 03:22:48 am »

A bronze colossus came. I ordered all 100 dorfs to charge at it. The colossus snatched a bronze helm from one of the wrestler and broke some dwarf limbs with it. Most of my dorfs were wearing bone and leather armors but nobody got killed.

Eventually my mayor hacked its lower body with his steel battle axe and finished it off.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40209 on: March 08, 2015, 03:29:52 am »

My cooks managed to Planepacked a roast... that weighs in at a whopping 722 urists, and is worth 7,629,748 ☼. Which is about 70% of my forts total created wealth (11067181 ☼)

Ah, my entree has been prepared.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40210 on: March 08, 2015, 06:51:41 am »

Washing the ground....

It is a good place to sleep...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:55:45 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Gregor Samsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40211 on: March 08, 2015, 07:16:45 am »

Woodcutter got shot in the head by gobbo ambush because he refused to wear his helmet (bug 1451).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40212 on: March 08, 2015, 10:37:48 am »

Wow, i remember dwarves were silly sometime, but it looks like they're now complete morons.

As i had a pack of undead mixed with living enemies outside my wooden wall, doing nothing as climbing isn't something they can do apparently despite at least the living guys are supposed to be able to in 40.x , i decided to move my marksdwarf squad on a rooftop and use that occasion to train their skill, having made a big bunch of wooden bolts so i wouldn't waste good material in that live training.

I stationned the dwarves in the ammo stockpile, noticed some dwarves took some bolts as expected but noticed some didn't.
I made sure they were all equipped with crossbow and a quiver, but some of those dwarves were still having the quiver completely empty and didn't even tried to pick up the ammo from the stockpile (no bins so no container known bug, the ammo was just standing on the ground for them the same as the ammo other dwarves picked up)

I waited and waited and got enough of those idiots, then stationned them on the rooftop that was at some distance of the wall, hoping it wasn't too far for still allowing them to shoot.

Once they got on the rooftop, a few dwarves started to shoot their wooden bolts as i wanted, while the other did nothing and still were insisting in NOT going back to fill their damned quiver...
Then they suddenly did something : they jumped from the rooftop, climbed the wall and attacked with their puny crossbow the overpowered undead+living legion.

Of course they died in a second or two...

I was already enough annoyed by that ridiculous situation and before i decided to make a save to see if i would be willing to continue playing that fort later, i noticed that while still shooting, the other dwarves, the ones that bothered to pickup bolts decided to jump on the ground, climbed the wall and once outside they resumed shooting as if it was normal ...
Only to be utterly murdered by the undead of course that was just waiting for them there.

What the ...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:39:41 am by Robsoie »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40213 on: March 08, 2015, 10:46:54 am »

The fancy new dining hall is really paying off. At long last, there isn't a single stressed dwarf in my whole fort. Even Macelord Kib is below 10k even though he never sets foot in it. He likes sparring and doesn't care about death, so his sparring matches are slowly chipping away at his stress level.

My marksdwarf recruits are finally becoming marksdwarves. They finally got their quivers from the dead lion tamarin men, so they're practicing on the archery range like they should.

I've also switched to copper bolts instead of silver. I have even less copper than silver, but I have no other use for copper. I'm slowly running low on silver, down to ~900 from ~1600 bars. There are 700 bars worth of silver embedded in my archery targets.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40214 on: March 08, 2015, 10:54:14 am »

A planter had a clothier mood and demanded yarn and rough gem, none did I have. So I walled her off.

The ground level is much cleaner now. Although I have no idea how to clean the walls.

Don't look at the roof.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:59:53 am by utunnels »

Pages: 1 ... 2679 2680 [2681] 2682 2683 ... 3836