Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2793 2794 [2795] 2796 2797 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861005 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41910 on: June 15, 2015, 12:06:04 pm »

Why the bloody f#$*ing hell do dwarves take ownership of clothing and store it if they're wearing full steel plate?! I need that Armok-damned clothing for the few dwarves and dwarflets in the fort that DON'T WEAR STEEL ARMOR. GIVE THAT STUFF THE F#$* BACK TO THE F$&%ING STOCKPILE YOU BEARDED BASTARDS.
IT PUTS THE CLOTHING IN THE PILE OR ELSE IT GETS TO HAUL AGAIN!

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41911 on: June 15, 2015, 02:02:17 pm »

gave up on the project.

created a new world with max amount of savagery i could muster

for some reason dorfs live in a forest hillock while the elfs have mountain forts...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41912 on: June 15, 2015, 02:04:36 pm »

The fort is quiet... too quiet...

Slaughtering a buncha animals, a cave croc and a troll turned up but troll trapped already. 10,000 prepared meals. 3,000 booze. I'm wondering where to go next, as my minor tower-building project had 4 industrial accidents, and looks like something built by troglodytes.
One wheel short of a wagon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41913 on: June 15, 2015, 09:08:17 pm »

T.T I thought the silence of the dorfs joke was gold.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41914 on: June 15, 2015, 10:12:31 pm »

...Okay kid, we get it, you're weak...

This dwarf child in a strange mood has been hauling a native platinum for an hour irl now. It's changed seasons twice while he's lugging it, and a bronze colossus even came and got captured while he was lugging it. Please let this be the only one...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41915 on: June 16, 2015, 01:49:59 am »

Reckon he'll starve :P :P?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41916 on: June 16, 2015, 05:10:46 am »

Reckon he'll starve :P :P?
I'm fairly certain dwarves don't need to eat/drink/sleep while working on a mood.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41917 on: June 16, 2015, 06:15:53 am »

My high(ish)-frequency minecart magma "pump" works flawlessly, delivering a cartful of bright red melty goodness every 52 steps. No power, no mechanisms involved in the actual operation, only four switchable buildings so it can be turned off. Each full cycle takes about 750 steps to move magma 112 z-levels up: downward movement is nearly at freefall speed, but there was no clean upward path, and the flat connection ends between upward ramps eat a lot of time. 17 iron minecarts are circulating in the construction, enough to make sure there's always a cart at the start square when the repeat cart comes around (and not so many that the vertical magazine could jam - that's a serious concern at such short distances between carts).

To deliver magma at a decent clip over so many levels, you really need the ability to move multiple carts simultaneously, and that requires separate downward and upward paths. Downward can be a simple drop shaft (tends to not work so well in 0.40, because miners often climb out of the shaft mid-job and won't climb in to continue) or a straight downward slope of nothing but ramps. The single-tile "flat ramp" loader is the only powerless design i know of that's reliable and has a nearly or fully constant output time. For upward movement, take whatever you like, no-deceleration slopes, upward checkpoints, spirals... they all have very regular movement speeds, so there's no real risk of carts smacking into each other. Proper distance is ensured by the repeater that pushes the carts to start them on their runs.

Throughput is much, much lower than that of a stack of screw pumps, but probably slightly faster to build (took about 9 months to fully set up and cost one miner - was my own fault, i accidentally unlocked a door that held back magma and a miner of course decided to open it).

Video of the magma express:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2733-multi-cartmagmadelivery

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41918 on: June 16, 2015, 07:34:10 am »

My high(ish)-frequency minecart magma "pump" works flawlessly, delivering a cartful of bright red melty goodness every 52 steps. No power, no mechanisms involved in the actual operation, only four switchable buildings so it can be turned off. Each full cycle takes about 750 steps to move magma 112 z-levels up: downward movement is nearly at freefall speed, but there was no clean upward path, and the flat connection ends between upward ramps eat a lot of time. 17 iron minecarts are circulating in the construction, enough to make sure there's always a cart at the start square when the repeat cart comes around (and not so many that the vertical magazine could jam - that's a serious concern at such short distances between carts).

To deliver magma at a decent clip over so many levels, you really need the ability to move multiple carts simultaneously, and that requires separate downward and upward paths. Downward can be a simple drop shaft (tends to not work so well in 0.40, because miners often climb out of the shaft mid-job and won't climb in to continue) or a straight downward slope of nothing but ramps. The single-tile "flat ramp" loader is the only powerless design i know of that's reliable and has a nearly or fully constant output time. For upward movement, take whatever you like, no-deceleration slopes, upward checkpoints, spirals... they all have very regular movement speeds, so there's no real risk of carts smacking into each other. Proper distance is ensured by the repeater that pushes the carts to start them on their runs.

Throughput is much, much lower than that of a stack of screw pumps, but probably slightly faster to build (took about 9 months to fully set up and cost one miner - was my own fault, i accidentally unlocked a door that held back magma and a miner of course decided to open it).

Video of the magma express:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2733-multi-cartmagmadelivery

Lovely. (I managed a similar speed for the single minecart cycle, but my system is not able to handle more minecarts.  :-[)

The single tile dip loader is news to me, it is NS-track on the ramp and a ramp before to ensure proper dipping? How does it get slow enough to load or is it bouncing one minecart out of the dip as well? I had a straight ramp two tile dip that worked fine with pushes, but i did not get the speed right for automation.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41919 on: June 16, 2015, 09:58:13 am »

Downward can be a simple drop shaft (tends to not work so well in 0.40, because miners often climb out of the shaft mid-job and won't climb in to continue) or a straight downward slope of nothing but ramps.

It does, indeed.  I only finally got mine finished after a couple years of digging because of the necessity to constantly re-designate new paths to let miners back in after they started digging channels.   

Also, I had to dig a shaft for water to let it down into a reactor, because I didn't use a powerless design.  Ah well, I know better for next time...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #41920 on: June 16, 2015, 11:26:39 am »

currently I am cleaning up the cat rail-road incident of the 24'th of obsidian, 120
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41921 on: June 16, 2015, 12:23:06 pm »

Gonna Build a memorial by it?

... just realised I need to memorialise all the militia cat training accidents that have occurred in my fort....

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41922 on: June 16, 2015, 12:24:45 pm »

The single tile dip loader is news to me, it is NS-track on the ramp and a ramp before to ensure proper dipping? How does it get slow enough to load or is it bouncing one minecart out of the dip as well? I had a straight ramp two tile dip that worked fine with pushes, but i did not get the speed right for automation.

The main trick is that it's always pushing a filled cart out of the moat. Track on the ramp inside the trench is NS, i.e. it's a ramp that's normally traversible up/down but doesn't provide acceleration. So what happens is:

1. full cart sits in the trench, empty cart arrives, goes over the impulse ramp just north of the trench, pushes cart in the trench.
2. cart inside the trench leaves south, at ~24% of the pushing cart's speed, due to momentum-conservation rules. it probably still gets slowed down by magma upon leaving or somesuch - the cart takes 20 steps to cross the tile just outside the trench, before hitting the impulse ramp that gets it up to speed.
3. Since the empty cart is still standing on a ramp, it accelerates _slightly_, rolls into the magma-filled moat and reliably stops there. Since the trench tile is a pseudo-flat tile behind a ramp, it's subject to checkpoint effect, i.e.
a) the cart stops at the very border of the tile and needs only the tiniest push to move on to the next tile (outside of the trench)
b) the cart is charged the checkpoint speed "toll", one step's worth of ramp acceleration opposed to the last bit of ramp acceleration gained. I.e. even on a completely empty tile, the cart would stop, because it only got one step's worth of push on the last turn, and the checkpoint effect neutralises exactly that much.
4. Since the cart is "slow enough" while sitting in a sufficiently magma-filled tile, it is filled with magma.
5. the next empty cart arrives and pushes the cart in the trench.

Carts rolling freely through a water-filled tile like that with low enough input speed ("high" speed roller or less) will fill by themselves. I tried it with magma, too, but it seems that magma's higher friction prevents this from working: in my tests, the cart either passed without picking up magma or stopped in the liquid. The push setup appears to work flawlessly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To verify that carts really need to be in contact with a surface to fill up, i hurled another wooden cart into the sea. Interestingly enough, a cart stacked atop another is apparently "on floor" enough to pick up water. Currently, there are five minecarts on the ocean floor, 80-130 tiles from land. Oh, and a stepladder; unless i'm misremembering this, flying stepladders also bounce off the water when coming in low enough.

By the by - 6/7 liquid _is_ enough for pickup; just had a cart roll into 6/7 magma, on the next turn the tile changed to 4/7 with a full cart. Problem is presumably that 6/7 provides too little friction and doesn't slow down free-passing carts enough.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:43:06 pm by Larix »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #41923 on: June 16, 2015, 12:26:42 pm »

Gonna Build a memorial by it?

... just realised I need to memorialise all the militia cat training accidents that have occurred in my fort....
it wasn't a cat military training incident, more like a bunch of cats wandered onto my rail road for moving supplies across the fort and gave birth. The announcements and such was...funny.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41924 on: June 16, 2015, 12:30:04 pm »

That is tragic ???

I think it would remind the soldiers of the fraility of human non-dwarven existance, is all. But your's is cooler.

Dwarf Fortress, where people that play with trains are more dangerous than people that play with spears :D
Pages: 1 ... 2793 2794 [2795] 2796 2797 ... 3836