Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2842 2843 [2844] 2845 2846 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789175 times)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #42645 on: August 04, 2015, 08:51:15 am »

A human vampire law-giver came.
Th brn Kvsh Dthlkdol of Chmbrflsh mts wth th Hmn vmpr lw-gvr Alpth Snmdgn
And recites the full history of his civ from ~past 20 years.
Oh boy, will this be on the exam?

My favorite "human" diplomat was a vampire-olm-woman-lawgiver.

She and the elvish diplomat got in a fight in my dining hall. Or rather, they got in an argument and the elf tried to spit on her, but immediately got pounded into a mangled pulp by her guards and about thirty civillian dwarves that happened to be in the area. (Took me some time going through the logs to figure out what happened -- I started getting "Urist cancels ____, interrupted by diplomat" spam, and when I looked to see what was going on, the elf diplomat was already pulped.)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42646 on: August 04, 2015, 08:55:56 am »

While waiting for the miners to do their thing, something changed on the main status screen. Seems like the "l" (view artefacts) option came online. Since we're way below the numbers for a mood and have no military yet, i was quite curious:

"The worshipper of Ruin, a goblin-cap spear

This is a goblin-cap spear.

One kill
Muddledlurk the Ominous Insanity of Beguilers the forgotten beast, d.7

Slayer
Tramplerasped the amphibian woman, one kill"

Quite nice. Would've been more impressive if we ever got to see the beast or witness the fight, but we're not complaining.
That's awesome.
Dwarves will still make engravings / statues of combats in revealed portions of the caverns, even if the caverns have been sealed and they had no way of knowing about said combat. The game knew about the artifact, so your crafts-dwarves will psychically be able to depict the conflict.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42647 on: August 04, 2015, 08:57:02 am »

The game log will have every detail
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42648 on: August 04, 2015, 09:28:52 am »

The game log will have every detail

That depends on how long it's been and how often combat happens, though.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42649 on: August 04, 2015, 11:57:24 am »

At copperlocks, we had a giant cave spider attack ensue.  Unfortunately, one dwarf met an untimely doom, though the military charged the spider in revenge, and though the commander got bit and had a bit of venom injected, the paralysis wasn't enough to keep the commander down.  Maybe I ought to give a custom title to that lucky dwarf.

Also, hit the second level of caves, but in a bad spot, where I'd have to do a lot of constructions for a continued ramp downward.  Contemplating a reroute of the magma acquisition route to not be dealing with water.  Also not too fond of the lack of iron or tin.  I guess my fort will live up to the copper part of its name.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42650 on: August 04, 2015, 01:36:48 pm »

Also, hit the second level of caves, but in a bad spot, where I'd have to do a lot of constructions for a continued ramp downward.  Contemplating a reroute of the magma acquisition route to not be dealing with water.  Also not too fond of the lack of iron or tin.  I guess my fort will live up to the copper part of its name.

Within a few years, a crafty manager will be able to extort enough iron/tin from the caravans that it won't matter.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42651 on: August 04, 2015, 01:55:26 pm »

Within a few years, a crafty manager will be able to extort enough iron/tin from the caravans that it won't matter.

Alas, I can't seem to get any iron ore or tin ore from the dwarven caravans.  Evidently, the dwarves are without a liasion, so in short, I'm really gambling on melting metal goods, or hoping the dwarves haul some of the desired metals.

On another note, magma has been found, so when the magma hauling program is going, I'll be ready to smelt without the need of fuel!  Two things stand in my way:  Troglodytes getting into the fort, and crundles who managed to get an engraver cooked.  Thinking on it, if I do get invaded by goblins, I may have to utilize their goblinite as makeshift armor.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42652 on: August 04, 2015, 02:19:12 pm »

Yes!  Melting metal goods is the way to go.  If you buy all of something, usually they bring more.  When I have a low-metal or trash-metal embark, I buy all the iron/steel stuff they have, from anvils to piccolos, and melt it all in the same furnace to maximize savings on partial bars of metal.  Within two years or so, you're good to go, especially if you have human caravans as well for extra iron.

The really difficult embarks are ones where there is no good metal and (for whatever reason) the caravans can't get to you.  See also Roomcarnage  :)  You will note that, despite the insane wealth of the fortress, his militia is still wearing copper.  That's why.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42653 on: August 05, 2015, 02:22:48 am »

The goblins have once again become aware of Copperfell's vast wealth and this time they sent a siege consisting of 34 human recruits. What was new was that all invaders were notable historical characters which led to my militia acquiring lengthy additional names all of a sudden. So far sieges in my all .40.xx forts have been non-notable generated goblins, with maybe a historical squad leader commanding them.

I now realize I sort of missed the long ridiculous names all military dwarves tended to accumulate over time in .34.11.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

customlemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a morning person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42654 on: August 05, 2015, 06:21:29 pm »

Gobbos came. 40 of them. Easy target practice.
I'm waiting for elves to finnally siege me.
2 caravans offended, robbed and with a single merchant killed, followed by a killed diplomat might speed up the process (I hope)
My soapmaker refuses to make soap from tallow. Same with not-rock-nut oil.
It's not the lye bucket barrel thing - I have a full, separated stockpile for lye, no barrels allowed.

EDIT: Now i get 'needs 150 unrotten TALLOW SOAP_MAT glob. Do I really have to slaughter a herd of unicorns for a single bar of soap?
And I presume this means 150 pieces of tallow from the same kind of creature?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:31:18 pm by customlemon »
Needs !!FUN!! to get through the working day

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42655 on: August 05, 2015, 07:19:18 pm »

Words fail me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42656 on: August 05, 2015, 08:31:33 pm »

Words fail me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So it shoots bits of itself at your dwarfs?
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42657 on: August 06, 2015, 06:04:56 am »

Yep... it grabs bits off itself and throws them.  Amazing.

customlemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Not a morning person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42658 on: August 06, 2015, 07:57:31 am »

Contain, release upon a siege, watch as it slowly kills itself :D
Needs !!FUN!! to get through the working day

NeatHedgehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42659 on: August 06, 2015, 10:03:17 am »

In an effort to play a somewhat riskier, "fair" game, which means not doing silly things like locking bronze colossi in wooden cages... the military of CudgelGirders was completely destroyed by a bronze colossus. They did manage to tear open his head, lower body, and many of his extremities in the melee, but it wasn't enough. I sort of look on the event as fair trade, in a way. A goblin horde showed up shortly afterward and he killed all of them, too, sooooo....

The construction of the colossus-pummeling trap tunnel / ballista shooting gallery is complete, but for the moment sits unused as the colossus attempts to beat an echidna to death with a leather dress. He smashed open the upper body, but it's just laying there, passing out from exhaustion, and he only seems to be damaging the hairs now.
Pages: 1 ... 2842 2843 [2844] 2845 2846 ... 3835