Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2915 2916 [2917] 2918 2919 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787127 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43740 on: November 04, 2015, 06:43:13 pm »

I'm currently trying to memorialize over one thousand dead citizens. This was a fun experiment.

Help!  How I mine for ghosts?!

I assume you increased the litter size and breeding and maturation rate to do this, rather than relying on migration?

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43741 on: November 04, 2015, 08:40:06 pm »

A Forgotten Beast has arrived! I immediately freaked, because it has DEADLY DUST which is never good.

...it also happens to be made of water.

Marksdwarves, GO!

EDIT: Most of that fight was a dwarven baby getting beat the hell up by her flying elite marksdwarf mother before the militia commander wandered by to steal the kill.

Only had two dwarves caught in the dust. We'll see if it does anything to them.

EDIT 2: ...this guy has no wounds but she'd bleeding and vomitting everywhere (as is baby). Is this one of those 'bleeding from every orifice' kind of things?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:55:46 pm by FortunaDraken »
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43742 on: November 04, 2015, 09:15:11 pm »

I'm currently trying to memorialize over one thousand dead citizens. This was a fun experiment.

Help!  How I mine for ghosts?!

I assume you increased the litter size and breeding and maturation rate to do this, rather than relying on migration?

Short answer: yes.

DEADLY DUST

made of water.

Go home, FB Generator. You're drunk.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:15:28 pm by PyroTechno »

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43743 on: November 04, 2015, 09:46:48 pm »

Ahhh, found out what it was. The DEADLY DUST causes one to vomit blood. My two dwarves have fought it off by the look of it, though there's now two cats running around with it spewing everywhere. If only I could figure out which cat they were so I could stick them both in a cage.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43744 on: November 04, 2015, 11:39:01 pm »

The breeding and culling of dragons continues in Facehugged. This is the first time I'm breeding them, and I did not know that dragon innards were magma proof. Tried dumping the leftover nervous tissue into my magma dump, but they just sit there without deteriorating at all. Will have to atom smash those.
« Reply #43745 on: November 05, 2015, 01:17:25 am »

Just lost my first 'dwarf' (playing with humans) in my new fort inside the mouth of a volcano. The expedition leader was attacked by a buzzard and dodged off my bridge into the magma sea. At least she discovered the circus before being vaporized.

EDIT: Several hours later, I get a report of a dead miner with a message I had never seen before, "contorted by fear!" as if he died of fright. I zoom in to the location and see the ghost of the aforementioned expedition leader just chilling by the entrance of the volcano. I never knew people could die of fright after seeing a ghost. That's pretty nuts.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:20:49 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43746 on: November 05, 2015, 05:58:59 am »

Just lost my first 'dwarf' (playing with humans) in my new fort inside the mouth of a volcano. The expedition leader was attacked by a buzzard and dodged off my bridge into the magma sea. At least she discovered the circus before being vaporized.

EDIT: Several hours later, I get a report of a dead miner with a message I had never seen before, "contorted by fear!" as if he died of fright. I zoom in to the location and see the ghost of the aforementioned expedition leader just chilling by the entrance of the volcano. I never knew people could die of fright after seeing a ghost. That's pretty nuts.
They don't die from seeing the ghost as such, the ghost actively tried to kill him from fear. You have a murder ghost on your hands.

What is it with Troglodytes and climbing? They just seem to love climbing all over the place. Sucks to be them though, this is one of those caverns with sheer cliffs in places.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43747 on: November 05, 2015, 07:05:57 am »

EDIT 2: ...this guy has no wounds but she'd bleeding and vomitting everywhere (as is baby). Is this one of those 'bleeding from every orifice' kind of things?

Upright spike traps are where it's at for deadly dust uninvited guests.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43748 on: November 05, 2015, 07:38:50 am »

One thousand.

One thousand individual dwarves dead.  All with their own personality, dreams, ethics, family, skills.

"You are a murderer.  You took the lives of Urist McButcher, Urist McPeasant, UristMcCheeseMaker..."

...Wait.  You modded them to not be sentient?

Okay...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43749 on: November 05, 2015, 11:17:57 am »

...Wait.  You modded them to not be sentient?

Okay...

Sort of? I took out the tags that are SUPPOSED to govern that, but they still have thoughts and preferences according to Dwarf Therapist. Make of that what you will.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43750 on: November 05, 2015, 02:26:16 pm »

Real life kept my away from DF for months.  When I came back, I had a new 4Ghz computer, so I decided to try the windows version instead of playing whatever was on my mac.  For my world gen, I took the easy route, and made a short history with most of the sliders all the way to the right.  Lots of savagery, minerals, and stuff.  I looked for an embark with lots of minerals, a river, and no aquifer, because as far as I can tell, aquifers are impenetrable.  There were a handful of choices.  The first one was haunted, so I skipped it.  The second one, however, was calm, heavily forested, and when I looked at the preview of the site I was completely baffled by what I was seeing.  Not understanding the site meant it must be interesting, so I embarked.

It turns out I was on a bluff overlooking a steep canyon with a river flowing through the bottom.  A second river cut across my bluff and dumped down into the canyon.  There was a hippo down there.  Lots of trees, natural defenses, this looked like home.  I cut a ramp down into the rock, and cut a chamber off the ramp at the end of the soil.  I set up a farm plot, a still, a carpenters shop, and a crafts shop in with the farm.  I made a 20x30 stockpile for food.  I told the crafts shop to make pots and jugs and bolts out of wood on repeat.  A side room, with no door, was made to hold a textile industry.  Eventually (a few years in) it had querns, a loom, a clothiers, a farmers workshop, and probably some other stuff.  On the other side, I made an identical room with a stone door.  That room got a food stockpile that fed to the giant stockpile, a butchery, a tanner, and a kitchen.

Down at the first stone I built a trading depot, a stairway down, a mason, and a mechanic.  I told the mason to make stone blocks, and the mechanic to make mechanisms.  A hallway led away to a staircase back up to the farm level, but separate (I eventually planned to move the farm and put in a drawbridge).  At the top of the staircase I mined out a massive frat house that exposed the waterfall.  I added wall grates because dwarves are really dumb.  The hippopotamus had somehow died, and the skeleton was down in the water.

Remember that stairway down?  I'd marked it for ten levels.  Usually safe.  It hit the caverns.  But it punched through in the middle of a ceiling.  Perfectly safe, unless something can fly, so I ignored it.

Elves showed up.  I had lots of mechanisms, and they had a male and a female tiger.  I bought them, and built a tiger preserve.  It was walled off, on my bluff, and the tigers were trained up enough that the dwarves let them out of their cage.  Over the first two years of the fort I made sure I had plenty of meat on hand to keep them tame.  Meanwhile, wooden jugs and pots are being made, as well as stone blocks.  My frat house, about 40x40, had tables and chair set up along the grate so everyone could enjoy the waterfall, and I installed a lot of beds so everyone could sleep in the same room.   My production of bolts and mechanisms meant I did really well with the traders.  I couldn't buy them out, but I bought well.  And with my massive wealth, migrants came.  I built that wall I needed.  Four z-levels high, with an overhang and a drawbridge to let the traders in.

At some point during the first two years a bat flew up from the caverns.  My dwarves punched it for at least a year before I got annoyed.  I bought weapons from the traders, and built a barracks up on the surface.  By the time I was ready with a barracks more traders had arrived, dwarven this time (I'd got the weapons from the humans).  I told my squad to start training, and assigned them a kill order.  They were going to kill that bat. 

The dragon arrived just moments before the first dwarf announced he was becoming a recruit.  I didn't bother to close to drawbridge.  I had 196 dwarves, and I assumed it would be over soon.  I redirected my squad from the bat to the dragon.  The first thing the dragon did was breath fire.  That was the second thing too.  And maybe the third.  My heavily forested embark was on fire.  I had to save and edit the announcements to stop pausing every time a tree collapsed.  And many trees collapsed.

Many dwarves died right away.  But about a hundred of them were hanging out in the waterfall room, oblivious.  The dragon descended into the fortress, breathing fire.  Things were on fire.  Many dwarves were dead.  But then the dragon went into the doorless textile room and started to break things.  I noticed she had a dent on her forehead.  I ordered the dwarves to construct a wall in the doorway.  And one did.  Suddenly, my dragon was locked in a room with no exits, and this seemed suddenly survivable.

But everything was on fire.  EVERYTHING.  I had apparently made a massive stockpile of flamable blocks in the only hallway.  My 20x30 food stockpile was on fire, as was the massive pile of wooden jugs and wooden pots built up in the crafts station.  My two tigers were gone, I never even found a corpse.

But, the dragon was stopped, there were about 100 people safe in the frat room.  I still had about half of my animal stocks as well.

Over the next year almost everything died.  The burning blocks in the hallway meant the dwarves in the frat house couldn't get to food or water.  The weapons were all gone.  The pile of blocks eventually went out, but there were only 6 dwarves left.  SIX.  One less than a new embark, and I already had a fortress sort of built.  I could pull through!

Then all my food animals died of starvation, because the fires had burned the surface down and there was no grass.  All my food had burned as well.   And the alcohol.  And the pile of jugs and pots was still burning, rendering most of the food production area unpathable because of smoke and fire.

Then the forgotton beast arrived.

It was down in the caverns, and a giant snail with deadly spittle, so I ignored it.  The opening was in the middle a ceiling, it couldn't get to me.

Suddenly, seven migrants arrived!

It didn't work out.  There were dead bodies everywhere.  The meeting hall, that they immediately headed too, had about 100 corpses in it.  I now had 13 dwarves who were so depressed that they were incapable of drinking alcohol.  Those were the last migrants for quite a while too.  My dwarves were slowly starving and dehydrating to death because they were incapable of doing anything.  I was unable to build a new farm, or coffins, because no dwarf would do anything.  Trading ground to a halt because they destroyed the trading post and I couldn't rebuild it.  Eventually, despite the danger, dwarven migrants started to arrive.  They didn't do so well either, because the corpses were everywhere.  They got depressed and died, because I had no food, no beer, and no one would do any work.  On the plus side, they were too depressed to be scared by the dozens of ghosts.

Slowly but surely, however, year 11 perked up.  I managed to build and install about 160 coffins and about 60 engraved slabs.  That covered all the merchants, all the pets, and all the dead dwarves I'd accumulated.  I got a hospital built as well.  Not that anyone was hurt.  There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.  But once things started to move, my woodcutter lost a hand, and the hospital helped him.

Down the in caverns, that forgotten beast has been fighting something.  It's lost it's shell, and is badly injured.  And bats kept flying up, so I finally walled off that breach I made.

So what's going on in my fort?  I'm hoping to buy a fire-safe cage from a merchant soon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43751 on: November 05, 2015, 03:38:52 pm »

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

So completely sigged.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #43752 on: November 05, 2015, 05:26:26 pm »

-snip-

Smells like !!Dwarf Fortress!!
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43753 on: November 05, 2015, 06:11:09 pm »

What do undead path towards/home in on? Meeting zones? Dwarves? Living creatures? Dining halls? I'm trying to find out what these zombies are pathing towards, since they seem to be able to do it without LOS.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43754 on: November 05, 2015, 06:32:34 pm »

What do undead path towards/home in on? Meeting zones? Dwarves? Living creatures? Dining halls? I'm trying to find out what these zombies are pathing towards, since they seem to be able to do it without LOS.
I've found it's usually whatever's alive that they can actually path to. I blocked my entire fortress off once except for a cage trap filled, retractable bridge drop-chute with a forbidden hatch cover. Unforbid it and they started pathing to the critter I had tied up just inside. Reforbid and they'd wander to wherever they felt like. So it's probably some live creature that they can get to.

EDIT: Creature including wild things. Zombies do not suffer the wild animals to live.
Pages: 1 ... 2915 2916 [2917] 2918 2919 ... 3835