Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2916 2917 [2918] 2919 2920 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788463 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43755 on: November 05, 2015, 06:41:17 pm »

Huh. They won't path to a chained puppy though my disc/magma/dodge trap unless I open the door to the rest of the fort.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43756 on: November 05, 2015, 09:13:57 pm »

What do undead path towards/home in on? Meeting zones? Dwarves? Living creatures? Dining halls? I'm trying to find out what these zombies are pathing towards, since they seem to be able to do it without LOS.

In theory, all invaders are supposed to path to your meeting areas - meeting zones, dining rooms with meeting halls turned on, statue gardens, etc. In practice, they usually just hang out on the surface.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43757 on: November 05, 2015, 09:20:57 pm »

Thanks, mate! I'll try it out tomorrow! Hopefully I can kill all these creeping eye right second lower arms!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43758 on: November 05, 2015, 09:44:31 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed that they often will just wander around aimlessly unless something living goes far enough out to draw their attention.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43759 on: November 06, 2015, 03:05:24 am »

"The Hammerlord bites the Macedwarf in the tongue, lightly tapping the target!"

Sparring logs are kind of hilarious.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43760 on: November 06, 2015, 10:09:06 am »

Seeing as there have been a lot of 'tame every critter on the planet' posts of late, I have a question.  I recall a bug wherein birds would lose the ability to fly once tamed.  Is this still a thing?

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #43761 on: November 06, 2015, 11:04:28 am »

I have completed the initial design of a massive magma containment chamber, which shall surround the majority of my fort.  I am leaving the actual digging for last, since I'm still making extra chambers in my main compound so as to place my workshops and stockpiles the way I want them.

Once I dig the actual chamber, holy crap am I gonna have a lot of stone to turn into blocks...

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43762 on: November 06, 2015, 12:39:19 pm »

Seeing as there have been a lot of 'tame every critter on the planet' posts of late, I have a question.  I recall a bug wherein birds would lose the ability to fly once tamed.  Is this still a thing?
Yes, yes it is. Tragic, I know, but it's for the good of your framerate.

Anyhow, before getting into Rockransacked, I'd like to introduce my custom creatures all of which are cavern-only and have x4 modifiers: Cave Snapping Turtles are cavern-dwelling alligator snapping turtles, Blind Cave Seals are elephant seals with no eyes and the EXTRAVISION tag, Belzugs are basically hippos with shells and Bonegobblers are reptilian, carnivorous gorillas. The first 3 are found in layers 1-2 and start off at a training level of "general familiarity", while Bonegobblers are layer 3 only.

So, yeah, Rockransacked. It's year 3 or 4 of the fort, and having penetrated the 1st and 3rd cavern layers so far I've caught Belzugs, giant great horned owls, giant eagles, eagles, a giant wombat, helmet snakes, crundles, a giant cave swallow, 2 cave crocodiles, 2 cave snapping turtles, giant wrens, armadillos, a giant olm, a giant toad, peafowl, a giant bushtit, elk birds, a wolverine and a barn owl. From the elves I have obtained a giant kiwi hen, plus some animals I slaughtered and don't remember. I'm trying to get my egg layers to breed, but all I've gotten is chickens, turkeys and geese. At least I've got plenty of Belzugs who are happy to breed. Training screen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've had 6 artifacts so far, and this one is my favorite:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Do dwarfs appreciate a a figurine or statue more if it's of themselves? I hope they do, because this is going into the king's room when I invite him over.

When I used DFHack to find the perfect place for a magam pumpstack, I made a horrifying discovery: THOSE DAMNED DIRTY ANIMAL PEOPLE ARE POACHING MY WILD ANIMALS! There's one batman left, sitting in the third cavern layer with his wooden spear and shield. This guy has more than once spent 50 pages of combat reports stabbing a jabberer in the head until it died; I'm worried that I'd lose some of my own dwarfs if I tried to kill him, and that his death would only bring more batmen....
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43763 on: November 06, 2015, 02:51:26 pm »

They don't lose the ability to fly, per say, just the will. It changes their pathing to stay on the ground more.

Still hasn't stopped me from filling my Eyrie with giant sparrows, though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43764 on: November 06, 2015, 03:54:15 pm »

Building a castle aboveground.

All my Terrifying biome spawns are giant undead sparrows and crows. >.>

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43765 on: November 06, 2015, 07:10:47 pm »

3 blind cave ogres walked into my cavern; two were stuck behind a tree and I found the third one unconscious and being stabbed in the head by the batman spearmaster. I sent my miners down to that bit of cavern to mine some gems and ores, hoping they'd panic and slay the batman while he was busy with the ogre. But no, my dwarfs and this batman seem to get along quite well. Pity I can't make him a member of my fort; I could make him militia commander, and put a deadly masterwork steel spear in his hands.....is there a way to do that with DFHack?

Opened up the second cavern, became a barony, humored my mayor's demand for an electrum chest. Animal babies are everywhere.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43766 on: November 06, 2015, 07:39:52 pm »

I could make him militia commander, and put a deadly masterwork steel spear in his hands.....is there a way to do that with DFHack?
1. Can you use gm-editor?
2. Can you use changeitem?
3. Can you use force-equip?
You're going to need at least one if you want to get that guy a sweet spear.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #43767 on: November 06, 2015, 08:22:25 pm »

A kea just stole a wheelbarrow. Huh.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43768 on: November 06, 2015, 08:27:32 pm »

A kea just stole a wheelbarrow. Huh.
lulz.  And a shame that pathing does not have any means of modification.  I would totally give my Giant Eagles their wings back, fps be damned.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #43769 on: November 06, 2015, 08:52:43 pm »

Aaaand there goes another wheelbarrow. Damn keas.

Edit: How do they keep doing this? Another one's gone. There are dwarves right next to the carpenter's workshop and the keas are still nicking stuff.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:58:39 pm by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.
Pages: 1 ... 2916 2917 [2918] 2919 2920 ... 3835