Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2966 2967 [2968] 2969 2970 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787071 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #44505 on: December 13, 2015, 07:55:17 am »

Turns out, there is some annual flooding due to here being 3 different biomes. Too bad that just after the flooding started in front of the entrance it grew cold there, resultting in an ice wall exactly cutting of the fort. And freezing poor Limulothsin to death. The hole should be filled, and next year the flooding will hopefully not affect us.

4 Hammerdorfs began their training, the next attack shall not catch us unaware!
We could use some migrants now, though...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44506 on: December 13, 2015, 07:57:27 am »

The Black Library is open for business, 16 necromancers live in the fortress and a visiting human engineer read from a copy of the doom book.

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44507 on: December 13, 2015, 08:10:19 am »

Cats are randomly deceasing. What is going on?

Also nothing in the combat reports
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44508 on: December 13, 2015, 08:13:16 am »

Are you still playing 42.02?
Cats would get alcohol on themselves in the taverns, then dying from alcohol poisoning when they cleaned themselves.

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44509 on: December 13, 2015, 08:21:51 am »

Yes its still 42.02. Lol okay, thats quite funny.
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44510 on: December 13, 2015, 11:29:41 am »

Since the opening of the Grand Hall, we've had our first drunken brawl and alcohol-related death. The Grand Library's bookshelves are being made as I type. The tables, chairs, and cabinets will have to wait, since I only have two forges. Maybe I should fix that.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #44511 on: December 13, 2015, 12:48:31 pm »

I've been trying to build up a tavern for now, building one straight up from the ground. After all, who can't resist the opportunity to have drinks and !!FUN!!?

Pissed off the elves yet again by trying to sell them barrels.

Fucking cannibalistic tree-hugging idiots! Thinking they're so much better than us! I'll show them!

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #44512 on: December 13, 2015, 12:54:36 pm »

The migrants come to Spiderbends. They are vetted, clambering up the great sides of the mountain. As they march towards the peak, and the chasm, a great round humanoid, furred in black and white, erupts from the trees and attacks with savagery. The newcomers flee. It hunts them for days. The creature would be adorable if it did not kill. It transforms into a lizard. This form is less adorable. The migrants will act  as bait. The fortress dwellers will remain safe. The beast is just further vetting.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:05:13 pm by WordsandChaos »

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44513 on: December 13, 2015, 02:42:16 pm »

First cave-adaptation induced vomit puddles!  :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44514 on: December 13, 2015, 02:52:07 pm »

The danger of long lived fortress is that most of your military will be either legendary or a couple of rank close to it, with the strength and fighting ability that comes with the territory.

Why is it a danger ?

When one of your soldier decide to throw a tantrum, it is not anymore the relatively harmless punch or workshop/furniture toppling, but a murder spree

After the 1st kill i thought firing him from my military so he get back to his administrator job , then assign him to my "exile" burrow (far from my fortress) would be helpful, but the guy hasn't stopped, and that moron even murdered a militia captain !

I didn't assign a Captain of the Guard, as i wanted to avoid my population getting punched (and so falling into depression) too often for minor stuff, and i have not followed the crazy demands of my king, duke and mayor (meaning there are lots of worker that are condemned to prison) but looks like i will have to, as if i set him to be killed instead of regular dwarven justice being applied by the game, it could lead into tantrum panic.

edit : oh man, that moron murder spree made the merchant caravan panic, they didn't wait at the depot and are now leaving before i am even finished moving the trade stuff.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #44515 on: December 13, 2015, 03:36:54 pm »

One day the administrator stopped saying the pen was mightier than the sword.

On that day, many were killed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44516 on: December 13, 2015, 03:44:12 pm »

A year or so ago, a troupe called the Molten Fords visited my fortress. One by one they got tired of my fort and left until only one dwarf remained. I just wanted him to go away. He'd been here so long his clothes were getting worn.

Then I see a message in the announcements.

"The Molten Fords, a performance troupe, is visiting."

God dammit.

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #44517 on: December 13, 2015, 03:49:11 pm »

So it turns out that even dwarves with absolutely no skills whatsoever in a certain task can make artifacts that one would think needs that task.

My Farmer decided one day that he was going to make an artifact mug, and now he's changed his profession to a Legendary Stonecrafter. His skills prior were a Novice Thresher, Dyer, and Spinner.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44518 on: December 13, 2015, 03:51:29 pm »

The Black Library is open for business, 16 necromancers live in the fortress and a visiting human engineer read from a copy of the doom book.
Excellent!

If you have time, there's an experiment you could perform that might help explain bug 9315 (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9315)...

Could you have the last dwarf to read a book with the secrets of life and death segregate himself in a room with corpses and release an enemy in there with him? Maybe forbid the book immediately after it is read to prevent others from reading it. We want to see if undead are friendly to him if nobody else has read the book.

The theory in the bug tracker is that reading the text from which a necromancer learned the power to raise dead will make previously undead hostile to their raiser. I'd test it with my fort but I don't have access to my computer for a few days...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44519 on: December 13, 2015, 04:13:26 pm »

Excellent!

If you have time, there's an experiment you could perform that might help explain bug 9315 (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9315)...

Could you have the last dwarf to read a book with the secrets of life and death segregate himself in a room with corpses and release an enemy in there with him? Maybe forbid the book immediately after it is read to prevent others from reading it. We want to see if undead are friendly to him if nobody else has read the book.

The theory in the bug tracker is that reading the text from which a necromancer learned the power to raise dead will make previously undead hostile to their raiser. I'd test it with my fort but I don't have access to my computer for a few days...
I've got fresh migrants and about 30 copies of secret books but I think they've all been read by somebody.
Pages: 1 ... 2966 2967 [2968] 2969 2970 ... 3835