Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3008 3009 [3010] 3011 3012 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857336 times)

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45135 on: January 03, 2016, 02:03:00 am »

Just fought off my second siege, though with my hallway of spikes and traps, it is less of a fight than a study in gore.  However, since part of the passageway isn't finished yet, I did have to send the military in to take care of the last 3 goblins in the hallway.  I was looking back through the battle reports and I found the encounter between my axedwarf and a goblin maceman a bit interesting...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently my axdwarf decided that sever each limb of the goblin and knock out his teeth before finishing him off via decapitation.  My militiadwarfs already becoming sadistic killing machines.  Perfect...

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45136 on: January 03, 2016, 03:12:41 am »

I just realized I have a breeding pair of Giant Olms. I like them for their slithery appearance and 4x value modifier.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45137 on: January 03, 2016, 03:16:52 am »

A tanner decided to spam a cannot find path after a layer of cavern was opened up.  I've seen something similar before with spider webs in undiscovered areas so I figure it's gotta be the same deal.

But three caverns with lots of unexplored ground.  It's gotta be in either cavern 2 or 3, because those are the ones recently connected thanks to a downward passege in cavern 2.  I'm puzzled about how to explore that much ground in a reasonable timeframe when I get an idea.  Unlike the webs it's probably an identifiable chunk of skin that they are after instead of an unnamed spiderweb.

So I check the unit list over and over, moving time one tick at a time until I catch the tan hide job before it cancels, look for more information and.... creeping eye eyelid.  That's gotta be cavern three.  Military goes down to explore cavern three and finds the eyelid in a far off corner.  Bunch of creeping eyes seem to have been brutally murdered by....something.  Military clears the area, just a few crundles, and head back up and the tanner returns with his prize.

That went far smoother than I expected.  I'm expecting a bronze colossus or something next month.  I know I'm not that lucky to have an operation like that go without a hitch.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Skribbblie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dlaglunkis slugutalbis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45138 on: January 03, 2016, 04:09:24 am »

I've set up a sort of rough checkpoint outside my fort. You see, this fort is highly productive, particularly when it comes to making food, and making literature.

Some visiting scholars have a bad habit of walking out with some of our written materials.

Officer Ashjacks has a beef with such scholars.

Luckily, Officer Ashjacks has no combat training, and is armed with only an iron baton (which is functionally like a blunt sword). There have been no injuries thus far, but just enough shock to make scholars drop their hauled books.

Plus, it's fun to manage. A bit like reverse Papers, Please.
I'm not really sure that maiming someone and forcing them to live with a crippling disability for your amusement can really be considered "merciful." Just sayin'.
Dwarven mercy.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45139 on: January 03, 2016, 04:38:44 am »

So, I somehow caged an engraver while trying to use my GCS farm. Basically I wanted to re-cage the GCS after it spewed it's web so I un-forbade the door but it bypassed the cage trap. Then a spinner who was nearby setting up the loom ran in alongside a nearby engraver but the spinner was killed almost instantly when the force of the GCS silk slammed him onto the fortification (within hitting range of the Spider)

Panicking, I sent in a squad who dealt with the spider but in the chaos the Engraver got caged somehow. I had no idea it was possible to cage your own Dwarves.
I just atom smashed 30 children.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45140 on: January 03, 2016, 04:49:14 am »

My FPS has dwindled steadily in my fort today from 50 (where I had put the cap) to 2.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to dwindle much further, but I don't like how it did that.  I lost the last 10 fps without any caravan visits (where I buy a ton of crap while selling a ton of food).
Only thing I can think is its the clothes I've been making.  Everything else (except magma forges/smelters) I had been doing prior to the FPS drain, and while my fort pop has climbed, it didn't climb THAT much.  :S

Ime most of fps drain is pathfinding in one way or another. Bottlenecks with continuous bumping (rerouting) and long distance travel being the main culprits, seasonal pathfinding such as caravans or mass-dumping action are others. An active clothier may well have similar results (20 shiny new cloaks -> 20 dwarves running to pick them up + a few dwarves trying to gather the dropped ones).

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45141 on: January 03, 2016, 04:55:09 am »

There is one piece of corridor in Copperfell where everybody seems to trip over for some reason. I have been watching that corridor for several game years and without fail, every single passing dwarf goes prone in that exact same location.

There is nothing special in that square; it's just another typical empty fortress corridor of smoothed gabbro.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45142 on: January 03, 2016, 05:18:56 am »

Update on the pot-loving mechanic:

Few seconds after the last mention she grew attached to another green glass pot and now goes around dual-wielding them as weapons. She also inexplicably leveled up to a Legendary Miner without doing any mining at all.

Could using a food container as a weapon train Mining instead of Misc. object user? Still, the training rate seems way too fast.

EDIT: Ok, now she went to sleep and seems to magically accumulate more green glass pots into her inventory. She's now carrying eight of them and is attached to four. Every time I look at her inventory she's gained one more. What?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:35:35 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45143 on: January 03, 2016, 06:57:13 am »

Welcome to the land of buggy development releases of updates for an alpha game! :V

This game is great.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45144 on: January 03, 2016, 07:54:03 am »

Just fought off my second siege, though with my hallway of spikes and traps, it is less of a fight than a study in gore.  However, since part of the passageway isn't finished yet, I did have to send the military in to take care of the last 3 goblins in the hallway.  I was looking back through the battle reports and I found the encounter between my axedwarf and a goblin maceman a bit interesting...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently my axdwarf decided that sever each limb of the goblin and knock out his teeth before finishing him off via decapitation.  My militiadwarfs already becoming sadistic killing machines.  Perfect...
Clearly, we are the same person from an alternate universe, because one time when I sent up some militia to clean up the gobbos my trapline crippled, one wrestler made a point of snapping all the joints of his victims.

Anyhow, last night I enabled pump operation on all my miners, masons, traders and engineers so they would manually operate my 26-level pumpstack. This morning I awoke to find that I had no shortage of legendary pump operators and that significant progress had been made on the obsidian casting.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45145 on: January 03, 2016, 09:24:59 am »

Update on the pot-loving mechanic:

Few seconds after the last mention she grew attached to another green glass pot and now goes around dual-wielding them as weapons. She also inexplicably leveled up to a Legendary Miner without doing any mining at all.

Could using a food container as a weapon train Mining instead of Misc. object user? Still, the training rate seems way too fast.

EDIT: Ok, now she went to sleep and seems to magically accumulate more green glass pots into her inventory. She's now carrying eight of them and is attached to four. Every time I look at her inventory she's gained one more. What?

Did she make an artifact? I've heard (but don't quote me on this) that you can become a legendary miner through artifact level-up. Also, it's entirely possible she really likes pots. Or there's a bug with her getting attached to the pot and it continuously replicates in her inventory.

Post results!
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45146 on: January 03, 2016, 09:42:13 am »

Obsidian casting was slow recently because A) everyone has their needs and it's not easy to get everyone on all the pumps at the same time and B) the edge of the water is now far away from where it's being dumped, and I'm now suffering problems with evaporation. To fix this, I stopped the pumps and am working on some walls and bridges so I can redirect the pumped water to a different part of the casting chamber.

The elves must have forgiven me for whatever transgression they sent those ambushes for because they sent me a caravan. What a pity that they have nothing that I desire.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45147 on: January 03, 2016, 10:01:19 am »

Did she make an artifact? I've heard (but don't quote me on this) that you can become a legendary miner through artifact level-up. Also, it's entirely possible she really likes pots. Or there's a bug with her getting attached to the pot and it continuously replicates in her inventory.

No, she just visited a Dwarven Child Care danger room to replenish the booze supply; that's what started all this. She didn't have Mining enabled and had exactly zero xp in it. She likes green glass, so it's sort of plausible that she likes to hoard green glass pots. I suspect there's an inventory bug which duplicates a pot every time she gets attached to it but I have to reproduce it yet. Pot count is still eight but let's see how it develops...

To find out more I burrowed her into the same danger room as earlier. So far no more attachments but I did found that parrying with a green glass pot trains around 250-300 xp of Mining. That explains the superfast advancement to Legendary during her few minutes in the danger room.

Uhhh... welcome?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45148 on: January 03, 2016, 10:21:27 am »

Heh, that is really odd that wielding a pot does not train misc object user, but mining instead
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45149 on: January 03, 2016, 10:23:32 am »

Mother of Armok, if mining were a skill that was actually difficult to train that would be an awesome exploit.

Pages: 1 ... 3008 3009 [3010] 3011 3012 ... 3836