Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3018 3019 [3020] 3021 3022 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838305 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45285 on: January 06, 2016, 10:00:24 pm »

We See Brains

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #45286 on: January 06, 2016, 10:05:52 pm »

"the writer's preferences"

Lemme guess, a zombie wrote it? No, a necromancer.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45287 on: January 06, 2016, 10:15:10 pm »

Just a scholar whose best skill is Talented Siege Operator.  His preferences are a bit mundane though.  Nautilus shells?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45288 on: January 06, 2016, 10:41:18 pm »

Some goblins decided to poach our capybara. This cannot, will not, stand! After all, we killed the bulk of their tribe, so this patch of dirt is ours by the international law of "go fuck yourselves."

A troll scaled the barricades, and died in the inn, slain with a hunting spear. And now has an impromptu a capella song going on in it.

The war parties are now being outfitted with the closest thing to a helmet in the mod, war masks. Hopefully they'll be sufficient to at least stop a club to the face.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #45289 on: January 06, 2016, 10:49:51 pm »

What mod is this?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45290 on: January 06, 2016, 11:03:51 pm »

What mod is this?

Stalhansch's Tribal Fortress. Neat mod so far, though producing water is kind of annoying because of the amount of buckets and barrels needed to keep a decent flow of it in non-welled format.

He hasn't updated the mod in a while, but he was planning on adding a few more critters and considering an archeology/relic hunting system of sorts (usually you'd find stone, wood, pottery, or bone crap, but sometimes you'd get super lucky and find old bronze weapons and armor that can be pressed back into service for the tribe.)

Be forewarned, combat is much more brutal in the context of the mod, with no metallic armor and nonmetal stuff being apparently buffed to be able to seriously fuck someone up - most common cause of death so far has been "skull bashed in by Emung's granit beat-stick," followed by "stabbed to death with a bone-tipped stick." There's also no soap, so infection will probably claim more warriors that actual combat.

Leather, bone, some gems, and certain stones are also now stupidly valuable due to the risks in obtaining most of them or their usefulness in making weaponry. Making armor is also rather resource intensive, needing large amounts of leather cords just to make a single suit of body armor.

Water is also the only source of drinks besides cavern brews, which as you may guess could potentially kill your tribals with alcohol poisoning (as you play as humans,) though they are quite valuable, making settling on a cave a lucrative, if hazardous, proposition, to say nothing of the ample large game and silk to be had.

-

Another tribe integrates, most of them warriors, if aged ones. We'll need more than a looted club and a rose quartz long knife (mod's closest thing to a sword,) to adequately equip them. In the meantime, the Horses march.

The goblin tribe will be exterminated once and for all. The tribe will have all the silk. ALL OF IT.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #45291 on: January 06, 2016, 11:35:16 pm »

I found magnetite. My fortress has iron. And a volcano. Meaning magma smelters and forges. And flux stone.

Aaaaaaaaw yesssssss.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45292 on: January 07, 2016, 12:25:07 am »

The lingobs are crushed! Most of them quite literally. With a club.

The War Horses even managed to bag a large rat on the way out! And now a giant worm has appeared.

I have also discovered there is no digging through flux stones it seems, or mica, gneiss, or even some gems. Saddening, but there's still silk, game, and plants to be had at least.

EDIT: Speak of the devil, a giant earthworm! Plentiful meat to be had! Go my warriors, KILL THE LIVING DICK JOKE FOR THE TRIBE!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45293 on: January 07, 2016, 01:05:16 am »

Uh oh, the goblins showed up before I could finish my new weapon traps. This should be interesting......

Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.

Mind if I sig this?
You go right ahead. Also, that particular goblin was not the only goblin who was gelded during that siege. I can't remember which weapon did the job, but I distinctly remember another goblin being gelded during that siege.

The caravan arrive this autumn instead of a goblin siege, hurrah! When I noticed that my broker was the most intelligent dwarf in the fortress, I assigned one of my prospective scholars to the broker position and to my delight he gained a significant boost in mental attributes. Splendid! I shall do this with all my prospective scholars until I've got a think-tank that consists only of geniuses!

I've got the ground dug out for the "above surface" farms, but won't be using them for a while. I need to make a lot more glass blocks to build the ceiling for them, and until then I can't afford to connect them to the fort for security reasons. Besides, it's not like I NEED more farms for food or textiles, and even my current farms use up a lot of labor. Better to wait some years; those kids will probably all be legendary planters by the time they're adults, so they can do all the planting instead of everyone with valuable skills.

Another 80 weapon traps up, another 80 stonefall traps taken down. I'm going to wait a while for the large serrated green glass disc stockpile before building the next 80; in the meanwhile, I think I'll build bonus weapon traps from what the caravan brought me and from goblin weapons lying around.

One of my potter has had yet another temper tantrum. Last time, he killed 2 dogs. This time he killed a dog, a sheep AND another dwarf. It's time for him to suffer an unfortunate accident....

Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45294 on: January 07, 2016, 01:19:49 am »

A flock of elk birds have met their untimely demise in their attempts to escape the underdark. Three kobolds also narrowly avoided being chased when they disturbed the horses.

Sadly, unless a migrant tribal arrives with engineering skills somehow, no trapping is possible. A pity, since a giant cave swallow appeared. Ah well, just means the solution is the war chief's cudgel instead of a cage. This also means no wells.

Further repurposing of the cave commences, and the taskmaster orders a bunch of birchen beds and doors. Part of the labor in the siltstone lump is a private office for him and an eventual stockmaster.

However, deep in the caves is a boon: Granite. One of the few diggable, workable stones, and evidently quite handy for making beat-sticks. Main problem is transport for the stuff, should we opt to harvest it...

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45295 on: January 07, 2016, 03:04:17 am »

all my animals and a few of my dwarves have started to rot because of evil weather
even though i'm not in an evil biome
and that the "nefarious gloom" only appeared on tiles that had a creature in them

anyways, i'm slaughtering all my animals and have prepared coffins for the probably-soon-to-be deceased
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45296 on: January 07, 2016, 04:47:51 am »

I've embarked right next to a goblin army!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: It ended predictably, with the goblins standing around harmlessly as the alligators murdered everything.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:07:44 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45297 on: January 07, 2016, 06:07:18 am »

Wait, how do you have that many creatures on embark on the map? Is this a river thing?
One wheel short of a wagon

Bellairs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45298 on: January 07, 2016, 06:46:01 am »

The past few caravans from the Mountainhomes have arrived and unloaded, only to have the trade depots fill up with smoke for a while. It dissipated with no other effects and trading went fine, so I shrugged and moved on. This time I immediately checked the depot contents, to find that they had brought an alpaca wool bag of magma. All of the cheese they brought was listed as "melted" and had already changed ownership before the bag and its contents disappeared.

So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45299 on: January 07, 2016, 06:49:47 am »

So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.

Oh my god, I have to sig this. How does this even occur?
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.
Pages: 1 ... 3018 3019 [3020] 3021 3022 ... 3836