Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3022 3023 [3024] 3025 3026 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787107 times)

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45345 on: January 08, 2016, 07:07:51 pm »

I have just arrived to my newest fortress.  Things are started to look great!  In fact, it has rained elf blood three times in the past five minutes.  Surely this is not a sign of this fort's bright future?

Future's so bright, ya gotta wear a raincoat?

Raincoats are for elven scum!  In other news, our water supply is great with all this rain.
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45346 on: January 08, 2016, 07:09:54 pm »

Don't drink the elf blood. It'll turn your dwarves into pointy eared cannonballs. Erm cannibals.

...hmmm... pointy eared cannonballs...

Now where's my elf doctor and that minecart....
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45347 on: January 08, 2016, 07:16:10 pm »

Ok, trading is nearly impossible in a big fortress with a big tavern. I had my broker "Socialize!" for a long time, then she went to the depot after an eternity, either didn't even make it there or only stayed there very shortly - being interrupted by the need to drink. After that she went and ate something ... then she went to drink AGAIN ... aaaand follow that she is back to "Socialize!"...

You know that you can set the depot to allow any dwarf to trade, right?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45348 on: January 08, 2016, 09:39:48 pm »

Wut....
My fort's population is made up out of 81 dwarves, 27 goblins, 12 humans, and one elf.

And whaddya think?.......
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:47:22 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45349 on: January 09, 2016, 02:05:04 am »

Had a nice little fort going, got my third migrant wave. 33 dwarves, including several children. One of whom just happens to be a wereantelope, as I discovered the hard way.

My fortress just got rekt by a 9-year old girl.  :'( Killed most of my marksdwarf squad, and put a serious hurt on the remainder of the military. She joint-locked a civilian trying to flee, collapsed his knee, then threw him at a marksdwarf hard enough that his hand flew off. In the end, it took one of my crippled marksdwarfs sinking his crossbow into her skull to stop the rampage. Now I have half a dozen dead and half a dozen more wounded (who are now going to turn into wereantelopes)....

I was sorely tempted to line her parents up for a firing squad, until I remembered that I don't HAVE a firing squad anymore, thanks to their furry little daughter.

Looked into the Legends, she had been attacked by a human wereantelope (cursed for profaning a temple) at the age of 5, got bitten but somehow escaped. Had not gone on any rampages or had any kills before emigrating with her parents. But c'mon....FOUR YEARS and you haven't noticed that your daughter has this little problem with full moons?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45350 on: January 09, 2016, 02:43:57 am »

Had a nice little fort going, got my third migrant wave. 33 dwarves, including several children. One of whom just happens to be a wereantelope, as I discovered the hard way.

My fortress just got rekt by a 9-year old girl.  :'( Killed most of my marksdwarf squad, and put a serious hurt on the remainder of the military. She joint-locked a civilian trying to flee, collapsed his knee, then threw him at a marksdwarf hard enough that his hand flew off. In the end, it took one of my crippled marksdwarfs sinking his crossbow into her skull to stop the rampage. Now I have half a dozen dead and half a dozen more wounded (who are now going to turn into wereantelopes)....

I was sorely tempted to line her parents up for a firing squad, until I remembered that I don't HAVE a firing squad anymore, thanks to their furry little daughter.

Looked into the Legends, she had been attacked by a human wereantelope (cursed for profaning a temple) at the age of 5, got bitten but somehow escaped. Had not gone on any rampages or had any kills before emigrating with her parents. But c'mon....FOUR YEARS and you haven't noticed that your daughter has this little problem with full moons?
I wasn't even sure if you could get werebeast migrants. Tis' very rare, to say the least. I suppose that being a child inhibits the usual "flee into the wilderness" behavior.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45351 on: January 09, 2016, 03:29:12 am »

The tribe encountered a group they didn't expect as spring came and the snowstorms ended: Elves. Now, normally my response to seeing them at all is a coin flip. However, the mod's brief readme stated that picking a fight with them would be especially "unwise," given the lack of metallic armor, unless you're very confident in your warriors.

At present, the whole of the tribe has finally gotten small rooms to themselves, and a place to properly treat the wounded is being set up, though the shape of the cave and no mechanisms preclude a safe well (though the spring can provide bucket water.) Work on a microcline henge of sorts is also underway. It might not be some monolithic structure, but it'll be more than sufficient for the tribe's spiritual needs.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45352 on: January 09, 2016, 05:26:07 am »

"Tourists are advised to avoid some of the seedier areas in Copperfell, especially at nighttime. Copperfell denizens will hold no qualms about mugging any unsuspecting visitor and making off with their belongings."

So I accidentally found out that you can designate guests' stuff for dumping or melting and haulers will come and simply carry them away. And nobody says a thing.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45353 on: January 09, 2016, 06:06:26 am »

This is amazing.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45354 on: January 09, 2016, 09:25:57 am »

Wut....
My fort's population is made up out of 81 dwarves, 27 goblins, 12 humans, and one elf.

And whaddya think?.......

My current mayor knows literally two other dwarves, one of whom is his wife who doesn't live in the fort. I feel like the dwarven system of democracy is ... strangely flawed.
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #45355 on: January 09, 2016, 09:36:55 am »

They literally went into the mines and found the one dwarf who has only ever talked to the person who brings him food in his hermit hole and made him mayor.

I see no flaw.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45356 on: January 09, 2016, 09:52:11 am »

I've had a fort that's gone on for several years without getting a single visitor.  Yes, I have my zones set up properly.  This is also the first fort in 42.xx that I've started on a partially ocean biome.  Anyone notice not getting visitors on an ocean biome?

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45357 on: January 09, 2016, 11:05:46 am »

I've had a fort that's gone on for several years without getting a single visitor.  Yes, I have my zones set up properly.  This is also the first fort in 42.xx that I've started on a partially ocean biome.  Anyone notice not getting visitors on an ocean biome?

Ooh, yes. I started a bridge fortress and didn't get visitors. Still pure conjecture, but the visitors happily came to the glacier/tundra fort surrounded by howling yetis, and my current evil hills fort where it rains blood every week. But an idyllic beach fortress with waves lapping lazily against the hill fort? Sounds horrible, let's not go there.

(Amusingly enough, all traders and migrants appeared on the shore belonging to the small island off the coast of the larger continent.)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45358 on: January 09, 2016, 11:50:47 am »

It's not an island fort though.  It's on the mainland connencted to all civilizations.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45359 on: January 09, 2016, 12:10:48 pm »

It's not an island fort though.  It's on the mainland connencted to all civilizations.

I was unclear. It was an ocean biome between two shores, with connections to the dwarves, goblins and humans on the main continent. (No elves at all in that world.) I even rescued it from the recycle bin to load up and check. :) It's also the same world as the glacier fortress which was drowning in visitors.

So something may be going on with ocean biomes.
Pages: 1 ... 3022 3023 [3024] 3025 3026 ... 3835