Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3026 3027 [3028] 3029 3030 ... 3837

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5894161 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45405 on: January 11, 2016, 03:47:47 pm »

A desert titan composed of flame and with a poisonous sting arrived.  It threw fireballs and started setting the whole surface on fire, and the smoke around it made it impossible to attack: it killed several steel-clad soldiers.  I managed to wall off the main staircase just as it approached the front entrance, and turtled for the rest of the year.

The desert titan wandered the surface, burning everything, collapsing trees, and chasing the wild camels, until the goblin seige arrived in winter.  It tore apart most of a large army of goblins, beak dogs, and trolls before they killed it off.  The remainder was easy to mop up from the smouldering field of ash.
I had a very similar one made of fire in the caverns. Dummy was breaking a door while marksdwarfs shot bits off him. it xx'd the door - leaving it standing- destroyed a weapon trap (and there was magma underneath, that's how long it'd been at the door) until it died.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

strawberry-wine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45406 on: January 11, 2016, 05:03:14 pm »

Werebeasts have been assailing my fort Crowdedchamber since its first year. The dwarves have built up a great castle and no longer fear the werefolk.

But sometimes they find a chink in the defenses. Several seasons ago, a werehare burst up the long concourse to the depot and brawled with the Mountainhome caravan right as they were readying their departure. According to the reports, the werehare only bit a merchant named Solon and the mercenary guarding him. I watched the two crawl off the map after the rest of the traders, knowing what lay in store next moon.

Flash forward a couple years later, when I've completely forgotten about the events above. A reminder appears in the guise of the werehare merchant Solon, who shows up suddenly outside the south gate. It seems some dark instinct has pulled him to the place where his life's trajectory was forever altered.

No worries, Solon. You will never have to endure another transformation again.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45407 on: January 11, 2016, 06:51:58 pm »

The goblins came much earlier than expected; I expected them in the next autumn, but they've shown up in winter! Whatever, let them come! I've observed that they come at the same time of year every other year, changing seasons every couple sieges. This means I won't be denied any caravans for quite a while!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45408 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:28 pm »

So a child got possessed and made an artifact.....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

::)
I guess I can give it to my hammerer if nothing else.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45409 on: January 11, 2016, 10:50:32 pm »

I rather doubt the honey badger cares.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45410 on: January 12, 2016, 12:23:35 am »

Undeterred by the water, lumber is brought below while the warriors of War Party Horse stand guard over the entrance to the settlement from below the underdark, when the unthinkable happens: A tribe of mountainkin have come upon the Tribe! They are lead by a dwarf bearing a truly fearsome weapon: An obsidian axe!

Two particularly brave members of the tribe, Leto the fish cleaner and  are quickly inducted into War Party Ram and War Party Asp rushes to the entrance to the cave. It is likely the tribe's days are numbered here against so many armed foes. War Leader Astan, leader of War Party Ram, dies while attempting to hold the depot against three dwarves, severely injuring one of them.

Only luck will likely save the tribe.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45411 on: January 12, 2016, 12:27:43 am »

I just had someone make another artifact bed, but I can't tell what it's worth because I assigned my duke to be my broker to improved his social skills. However, it's tetrahedrite, so I'll wager it's more valuable than my giant wombat bone bed. In other news, I'm cranking out silver toys for the kiddies to play with. I hope they appreciate it!
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45412 on: January 12, 2016, 12:44:48 am »

The archers of War Party Asp engage the bulk of the enemy (something that while brave, will almost assuredly end with their deaths; the archers know this, and are prepared to die for the Amber Tribe.) The succeed in injuring one with an arrow to the leg, and one to the chest and arm while two dwarves who sought to poach horses and cattle are instead beat into submission by War Chief Emung, who declares he will have revenge for the slain War Leader.

The Archers fight bravely and desperately, but ultimately fall to the bearded tide, First Furi, then Enasm, and finally Ibon. However, all is not lost. As the enemy slays livestock, their forces are split. Chief Emung hatches a plan of divide and conquer, using the animals' distraction to their advantage. In short order, two more dwarves are brutalized and left in blood-stained heaps. Another dwarf attempts to duel with Warrior Rilstud, who claims his fifth notable kill in the clash, becoming known to all as The Crowded Shadow of Candles.

Now the dwarves have only half their number, while the War Parties have lost only a single melee warrior.

EDIT: The War Chief's tactic works, and with the livestock splitting the enemy, soon Emung, Rilstud, and an integrated member named Dether soon overpower the dwarves in ones and twos. War Party Ram is considered dissolved, and its warriors integrated into War Party Horse.

Victory comes to the tribe, but at steep cost.

Four tribesmen lie dead beneath the fruit-bearing apple and peach trees; one, the archer Furi, leaves behind a grieving widow and a baby girl. only two dwarves escaped the battle, narrowly avoiding the wrath of the tribe's other warriors. It is unknown how they will choose to honor their slain heroes.

EDIT II: The battle is a windfall to the warrior Gel, once of the Rams. He takes up the obsidian axes of the slain foe and pledges to wield them for The Amber Tribe with honor. War Leader On is viewed with scorn by the Tribe, the coward fleeing the field in front of his fellow warriors.

It is mandated: Armor for the Horses. War will come again, and the tribe awaits them, that they may take revenge upon the hated mudbeards for the warriors and cattle slain.

Shûl-nak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45413 on: January 12, 2016, 01:12:58 am »

So there I am building my great-wooden-hall-on-stilts in the calm and beautiful marshes when a weresloth arrives. I engage burrows, but I've been focussed on building this thing since the moment the Big 7 landed and have prepared absolutely no defenses anyway. It immediately gets into the half-finished great dining hall and is severely... bruised everywhere by my legion of training-axe-wielding-woodcutters. Fortunately, one of the farmers just so happens to have brought a copper axe with her, and knows how to use it.

We've now got 3 dead dwarves, several severely wounded ones (like one poor woodcutter who got counter-punched and had his hand burst into gore) with no medical services nor supplies to speak of. Better get making those cage traps and restraints then, just in case...

Almost everybody's grumpy since they've been hauling wood around to build this thing for about a year with no breaks. Except my one mechanic, who's ecstatic for being in a fight recently. I swear I turned off hunting, but the loveable little psychopath just refuses to put the bow down and runs around shooting at everything. The DF equivalent of a gun nut. I think he's my favourite dwarf so far.

I'm playing like a doofus, but I don't really mind. It was refreshing to just concentrate on trying to build this thing from the get go rather than going straight into plump helmet turtle-town.

I just wonder how bad it'll be when the goblins show up; maybe it's time to start training my dream legion of terrifying aztec swamp dwarfs, clad in nothing but bone helmets and wielding obsidian blades, leaving spike traps dotted beneath the willows...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45414 on: January 12, 2016, 01:30:07 am »

A fine tribute to the dead War Leader: Rilstud flexes her stoneworking muscle, and crafts two masterful pieces: A headstone and coffin of masterful make. Some question why the War Lead receives more extravagant burial arrangements. Are the archers who died for the tribe not worthy of the same?

Yes, the War Chief says, but supplies are limited, and the dead deserve their rest as soon as possible, and as the first to fall and having died fighting (as opposed to fleeing as War Leader On did,) the Ram War Leader is granted superior burial. Provided these useless red and grey veins of rock don't obstruct the tombs.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45415 on: January 12, 2016, 02:15:17 am »

A particularly evil force of darkness arrived. An Elven force of darkness. The squad was more composed of Humans and Dwarves than Elves however, and there was only one skilled soldier among them. One swordsdwarf was lost; Kib Galleyorgans died a heroes death protecting the Fort.

Immediately after dealing with the siege a caravan from the Mountainhomes arrived! Glory to Ziril! I have dozens and dozens of masterwork bone crafts for them to take off of my hands.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 02:24:24 am by Jefthefirst »
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45416 on: January 12, 2016, 05:19:53 am »

I guess when its a matter of life and death you do what you have to...

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45417 on: January 12, 2016, 05:25:11 am »

Ah, goblin dentistry. The finest around.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Jefthefirst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45418 on: January 12, 2016, 05:29:46 am »

So a child got possessed and made an artifact.....

I guess I can give it to my hammerer if nothing else.

A weaponsmith just made me something perfect for the Hammerer as well

And immediately after I closed paint, this happened.

AND THEN to top it all off my game crashed when I was saving/exiting so I lost all my progress from today :(
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 06:04:06 am by Jefthefirst »
I just atom smashed 30 children.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #45419 on: January 12, 2016, 06:04:35 am »

Scholar/militiadwarf just died. Only wounds were a broken nose and ear. Died of blood loss, evidently, no record of being wounded recently and wasn't found drained. Any ideas?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 ... 3026 3027 [3028] 3029 3030 ... 3837