Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3063 3064 [3065] 3066 3067 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862015 times)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45960 on: February 02, 2016, 08:57:11 pm »

What about an artifact in a minecart that is lava proof?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

vidboi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45961 on: February 03, 2016, 06:54:40 am »

Well that was quick...

Well, I've got bored of Valehammer, and decided to see what happened to Helmwondered - the previous mountainhome - to cause one of my dwarves to suddenly become queen...

let's see, limonite, bituminous coal, kaolinite everywhere, nice! Oh, and a hundred or so goblins...

Attempt 1: embark militia charges in, gets piled and wiped out.
Attempt 2 now ongoing, I'm going to hang about a bit before cleaning out the fortress this time.

That said, the goblins have already started beating each other up...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45962 on: February 03, 2016, 10:51:34 am »

I'm still working on my temple challenge. 

I need a "fire" element in my temple, and the obvious choice is magma. 

I am hoping for some ignitable furniture artifact, and burn that forever and produce smoke. 

I wonder if I can just burn finished goods artifact instead by dumping it in a shallow 2/7 magma pit.
Not sure if artefacts can be dumped, but you coud always reverse and dump magma on it. It should ignite the item. Smoke might also kill your FPS by blocking pathing.

Bonus points for getting a flammable artefact minecart, and making that run around your temple. Never seen an artefact minecart yet though, not sure if moodable.

I'm using 42.04 and out of 12 magma-safe minecarts I've made, only 1 remains.  It seems like some dwarfves like to claim and carry around iron, nickle, or steel minecarts as if they are mugs.

I am training around 6 metal crafters, hoping they mood into making minecarts.

Other than that, I may be able to use artifact grate, chest, or wood bow in a magma-safe weapontrap to produce the forever smoke I want. 
I would make a 1-tile raising bridge + fortification + pit down to the burning artifact so I can open bring the bridge down and let smoke in en enclosed tunnel--maybe kill invaders by suffocation?

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45963 on: February 03, 2016, 11:54:03 am »

The breeding program progresses nicely.  The first brood of cave crocodiles has matured, and laid eggs immediately.  I've forbidden two batches for the next generation.  By George, a stack of high-quality cave crocodile egg roasts is worth in the tens of thousands...

The voracious cave crawlers have spawned twice now, and I have seven.  Are they valuable as defense?  After a serious giant olm-splosion, I've butchered them down to just nine males to assign as pets (although I have years' superfluity of meat and leather).  I also have a male and female giant mole, but they haven't reproduced so far.  Oh!  And I have a plump helmet man and woman, but they're still in cages.  I'm not sure what the plan is for them.

I've started making tombs for the starting seven using their preferred materials: if possible, a sarcophagus in their preferred metal and a door in their preferred stone, each encrusted with their preferred gem.  Nothing too difficult except we get to the carpenter, who likes bituminous coal, aluminum, and star ruby.  I'd be happy to oblige his extravagance, except I don't think my civilization even has access to aluminum, and I've never seen a star ruby in all my three years of playing this game.  I have some native aluminum gizzard stones kicking around, but I guess he prefers the metal, not the rock...

The other impediment is that one of the starting seven -- the farmer -- already died years ago.  He and several others were killed when a forgotten beast snuck in to the farming area.  The problem is, I don't remember which of the dead planters was which, and their memorial slabs give indirect clues at best.  Assuming it's the oldest of them is the best I could guess.  Is there any way to dig up a dead dwarf's thoughts and preferences through Therapist or something?

I'm still working on my temple challenge. 

I need a "fire" element in my temple, and the obvious choice is magma. 

I am hoping for some ignitable furniture artifact, and burn that forever and produce smoke. 

I wonder if I can just burn finished goods artifact instead by dumping it in a shallow 2/7 magma pit.

What do the other temples look like?  Do you have Heart?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45964 on: February 03, 2016, 01:29:29 pm »

I've set up some new raw modifications along with Modest Mod and am testing them out in 42.05. One mod I got elsewhere puts season restrictions on all crops and makes them take longer to grow (like, multiple seasons longer). The other mod I did myself with help from Deeper Dwarven Domestication; basically, I removed the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag from everything except dogs and gave the animals that previously had them wild populations (I also made all hauling animals ubiquitous to their environments, to ensure that every civilization always got haulers). My intent was that every civilization would (realistically) only have domesticated local animals. Other than the fact that only hauling animals seem to get domesticated, it's working as planned.

So, to test it all out I'm making a long-term fort. The embark? 3x3 savage tundra. Perfectly flat, except for the upper right corner which contains some evil cliffs and a volcano. I've got no neighbors, not even goblins, and my civilization is dead or dying. No trees, and almost no plants. There's no river, though the first cavern contains water. It's got soil, sand (no clay unfortunately), tetrahedrite all over the surface, some hematite in the first cavern, no flux spotted yet. I embarked with 3 miners, a mason, a mechanic and 2 farmers (brewing/herbalist and cooking/herbalist) as well as plenty of dogs. First thing I did was carve out a little underground living space below the tundra and dug until I hit the caverns, then set up some wells. First migrant wave had nothing but farmers, one of whom happen to also be a miner. Second migrant wave had a woodcrafter (who's going to be reassigned to being a glassmaker), a furnace operator and a blacksmith. I made the furnace operator my manager (because he had the organizer skill) and my book keeper (to conserve furniture), then he became king in the spring. Sold some statues to the caravan in the fall for food, booze and more dogs. No outpost liaison showed up. Third migrant wave contained, among other less important dwarfs, a mason, a stoneworker, an armorsmith, a doctor and a great potential scholar (Competent in Mechanics, Optics Engineer, Reading, Writing and Wordsmith). Oh, and the cliff throw the odd undead beastie my way now and then.

It's......different from what I've done before.

But you know what?

I love it!

Without any neighbors and a dead civilization, no one will come along and bug me. There's no need to make trade goods since there's no caravans, and without any sieges to worry about my defensive trapline needn't be tremendously large. And of course, without any sieges to come along and clog up my cage traplines, I can capture and tame surface creatures to my heart's content. I will have giant polar bears trained for war guarding my fort, and herds of elk, muskox and reindeer supplying me food and wool! Just need to get the magma smelter and magma forge set up, as well as the magma glass furnace. You need glass for greenhouses, after all!

Edit: woodcrafter just had a strange mood. Good thing I got wood from the caravan too. Also, I got my fourth batch of immigrants in early summer (including a weaponsmith and another 2 mechanics, WOOHOO!), so maybe my civilization isn't dead.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:35:26 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45965 on: February 03, 2016, 02:19:52 pm »

What about an artifact in a minecart that is lava proof?
Hmm sounds good. Should be easier than waiting for an artefact. Me dumb. Me not think of dat.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45966 on: February 03, 2016, 04:12:33 pm »

1 weasel corpse. Over a hundred screens of combat. Result?

0 dead weasel corpses.

Punches and kicks are doing nothing, and sharp metal weapons are only denting or tearing the skin. What the fuck? I though Toady said he nerfed undead in 42.05.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45967 on: February 03, 2016, 06:22:26 pm »

1 weasel corpse. Over a hundred screens of combat. Result?

0 dead weasel corpses.

Punches and kicks are doing nothing, and sharp metal weapons are only denting or tearing the skin. What the fuck? I though Toady said he nerfed undead in 42.05.

How much damage is the weasel doing to your troops?

Also, I think 42.05 nerfed the undead's behavior (they could only do things like charge whenever possible, they couldn't run, dodge, parry, block, etc.), not necessecarily how tough the undead are specifically.

Although...

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45968 on: February 03, 2016, 07:59:57 pm »

I've had problems with small undead critters being unkillable too. They were never able to do anything but bruise my dwarves, but one flew into my fort and started harrasing my dwarves nonstop.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45969 on: February 03, 2016, 08:02:26 pm »

Well the elves do bring valuable(relatively) stuff.

Edit*

Oh I see it is a bug.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:20:57 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #45970 on: February 03, 2016, 09:37:25 pm »

So, one of my dwarves brought a book with them when they showed up to my fort. The book is about a type of song, even though they have no singing ability, no writing ability, and they don't know that song.
Despite that, their book is a book, so now I have a single book in my library.
And so a dwarven scholar crossed a mountain range and a frozen tundra to show up at my fortress... Even though I have the library set to long-term citizens only.
That scholar waited around for a year and a half before I finally let them into the library, and now they are reading the book. I hope it was worth it.

In other news, my starting miner fell in love with my starting broker. Then I crushed the miner's foot in a cave-in (he healed... I think?) and the broker got a masonry strange mood without any stone, so I had to tear a hole in the vault to get her stone.
Now they are happily mining dirt together because I still haven't pierced the aquifer...

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45971 on: February 03, 2016, 09:38:26 pm »

The other impediment is that one of the starting seven -- the farmer -- already died years ago.  He and several others were killed when a forgotten beast snuck in to the farming area.  The problem is, I don't remember which of the dead planters was which, and their memorial slabs give indirect clues at best.  Assuming it's the oldest of them is the best I could guess.  Is there any way to dig up a dead dwarf's thoughts and preferences through Therapist or something?

In the case that anybody might benefit from this, I've discovered that you can look up dead dwarves through the relationships screen of living dwarves.  I looked for a planter in my starting seven's relationship list and was able to look at the dead guy's thoughts & preferences as if he were alive.  The morbid part is that you can see his final thoughts as he died -- terrified while in conflict, shaken after suffering a major injury, &c.  It's a little spooky.

Fortunately his preferences were not too exotic, so it's just a matter of transplanting his body from the generic coffin to the tomb.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45972 on: February 03, 2016, 11:35:13 pm »

Yeah......I lost a lot of important dwarfs. The smelter king, the scholar, some animal trainers.....and to add insult injury, almost all the livestock I worked so hard to obtain. The dogs, the reindeer, the elk, the muskox....but I wasn't completely wiped out. Life goes on in the fort. Nature still provides me more livestock. Still holding out for those giant polar bears I spotted earlier.....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:36:48 pm by cochramd »

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45973 on: February 03, 2016, 11:36:11 pm »

Whoops, accidental double post.....though now I realize I've lost almost all my metalworker. What a nightmare!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:44:21 pm by cochramd »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #45974 on: February 04, 2016, 12:05:16 am »

I have a forgotten beast running through my caverns killing all the animals with its poisonous blood.
Looking at its description page, it is completely coated in scars, and it just keeps adding more.
Pages: 1 ... 3063 3064 [3065] 3066 3067 ... 3836