Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3065 3066 [3067] 3068 3069 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5842951 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #45990 on: February 04, 2016, 11:35:05 pm »

In my experience before .42, it was the other way around.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45991 on: February 05, 2016, 12:13:46 am »

Sigged.

Two siggables in one day? Glorious. <3
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #45992 on: February 05, 2016, 12:30:02 am »

Two siggables in one day? Glorious. <3

My only response to that is...

Sigged.

It was inevitable.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45993 on: February 05, 2016, 12:54:36 am »

I've had a few dwarves decide to bite werebeasts, and never seen any of them get infected. It appears that the contagion is in the werebeast's saliva, not it's blood. 

I started a new fort, embarking with unskilled dwarves with only a pick and some animals. I refuse to believe you can cut down a tree with a wooden axe, so it was a relief to finally have the caravan arrive so I could get an axe and be able to get some wood. Just in time, too, my mason is in the hospital with a compound fracture of one of his toes, and I was starting to get spammed with "can't give water: no bucket".

As the merchants were leaving, i got an announcement of somebody found, dead. I was surprised to see that it was a merchant, not one of mine, but also a bit concerned. I found his corpse at the top of a tree. I decided I'd best cut the tree down to retrieve the corpse, and when I started going down the tree to find it's trunk (it's a pretty thick forest), right below him I found another corpse, this one identified as just "Udesushen's corpse". Looking at it told me nothing more than that it was Udesushen's corpse. :-/

Looking at the Dead/Missing list, revealed that it was a black bear. Looking back at the combat logs, I found the fight between the bear and the merchant. The bear did a lot of biting and shaking and opening arteries, and it was pretty clear that the merchant had no chance from the start, but right near the end, this happened:

The Merchant bites the black bear in the throat, tearing the skin!
A major artery has been opened by the attack!

He ripped out a bear's carotid artery with his teeth!

Shortly after that, the merchant bled out from the wide variety of wounds the bear had inflicted, but he got his revenge, and the bear didn't even live long enough to climb out of the tree.

Now I just hope neither of their corpses lands on my woodcutter when he cuts the tree down.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45994 on: February 05, 2016, 01:01:28 am »

It is terrifying.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45995 on: February 05, 2016, 01:31:48 am »

I don't imagine dwarves are proficient dentists (hammers and chisels and all), but ripping out the teeth of were-beasts transformee's on a traction table (lucky you can get a goblin to process them into dinky little ivory trade goods later) sounds like a reasonable course of action to stop the saliva penetrating the skin to infect (unless is passively infectious, in which bathe your dwarves in were-beast saliva)

Just a angry half-dwarf-wolf man gumming on a unimpressed militia-dwarf then like a hard boiled dwarf syrup flavored sweet, still stupidly large strong and dangerous but the edge taken deliberately out.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45996 on: February 05, 2016, 07:39:53 am »

After years of not having a single accident of any sort, i had two dwarves hit by a minecart on the same day. One had her false-ribs mangled and the other had a leg smashed. Fortunately they were both  rescued by my doctors. Other than that, not much is happening in my fortress, which is boringly successful.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #45997 on: February 05, 2016, 12:44:35 pm »

I don't imagine dwarves are proficient dentists (hammers and chisels and all), but ripping out the teeth of were-beasts transformee's on a traction table (lucky you can get a goblin to process them into dinky little ivory trade goods later) sounds like a reasonable course of action to stop the saliva penetrating the skin to infect (unless is passively infectious, in which bathe your dwarves in were-beast saliva)

Just a angry half-dwarf-wolf man gumming on a unimpressed militia-dwarf then like a hard boiled dwarf syrup flavored sweet, still stupidly large strong and dangerous but the edge taken deliberately out.

Transforming completely heals them, including missing bits, so they would grow their teeth back just when it becomes important for them to have them.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #45998 on: February 05, 2016, 01:11:25 pm »

Transforming completely heals them, including missing bits, so they would grow their teeth back just when it becomes important for them to have them.

Now if only there was some sort of automated "kick in the face" machine to install at chokepoints as a security measure against a werebeast outbreak.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45999 on: February 05, 2016, 02:11:13 pm »

I wonder if we've just found the cure fore gelded dwarves. Weredwarves still make babbies while not transformed, right?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46000 on: February 05, 2016, 02:28:53 pm »

Noted. Ill get on the phone to Dr Crackchisel's Dentistry practice and Murk & Sons genuine goblin ivory emporium to shave tusks and teeth off were-elephants.

To think, in some bizarre manner of way, its a infinite source, whatever you cut off for leather, ivory or fur will simply regenerate as if by magic, im surprised nobody's weaponized this somehow.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46001 on: February 05, 2016, 02:34:16 pm »

I wonder if we've just found the cure fore gelded dwarves. Weredwarves still make babbies while not transformed, right?

Well now we need automated werebeast neutering defenses as part of quarantine protocol.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46002 on: February 05, 2016, 02:36:14 pm »

Now if only there was some sort of automated "kick in the face" machine to install at chokepoints as a security measure against a werebeast outbreak.

Sigged.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46003 on: February 05, 2016, 02:55:18 pm »

Attach a metal & studded boot to a weapon trap and voila! Double points for kicking diplomats into pits whilst all clad in bronze armour.

Fit one into the entrance of your tavern, collect the teeth, then lay all the teeth in a quantum stockpile with a pillow of fine dwarven sugar on top to attract the Urist tooth fairy, then beat the elf scum into paste collect and melt down the individual coins for maximum melting returns profit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46004 on: February 05, 2016, 04:20:30 pm »

I was baffled by how friggin slow one of my starting seven dwarves was. I had initially thought that was, because in his profile it says 'he is weak'.

Then I looked at his inventory. The guy was wearing nearly 200 urists weight in gold toys. No wonder he was so slow. In his profile, he likes gold. He has no special preference for toys (I don't think that even exists), but apparently a like for a metal applies to toys.

I got him to drop his toys by assigning a replace clothing uniform order, and then forbidding the dropped toys until ownership decayed (ownership won't decay on worn items). I then melted them down.

Today's lesson: Never make toys out of heavy metals, especially once you get dwarves with a like for said metal in their preferences, because they'll wear them all and weigh themselves down to a crawl. Crafts don't really matter, since they don't weigh as much (although enough of them do add up eventually). Toys are heavy though, they're not supposed to be worn like that.

EDIT: on a side note, this is probably the same mechanic that makes people report dwarves wearing minecarts
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 04:23:15 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3065 3066 [3067] 3068 3069 ... 3836