Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3069 3070 [3071] 3072 3073 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5838204 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46050 on: February 09, 2016, 02:53:19 pm »

There might be a faster way: just dump the barrels onto a tile. That will empty them.

But your way is definitely dwarfier!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46051 on: February 09, 2016, 07:51:58 pm »

There might be a faster way: just dump the barrels onto a tile. That will empty them.

But your way is definitely dwarfier!
Erm, I tried with a minecart dumping the barrels from a route stop, that did not empty them.
What do you mean? A manual dump job? Or do they need to fall 1 or more z-levels?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46052 on: February 09, 2016, 07:58:07 pm »

I think he means designate a garbage dump with i-enter-enter-d, then use d-b-d to designate the barrel and its contents to be dumped. But I'm not sure if that will cause the contents to get dumped out of the barrel or if the whole thing will just get put there intact. So you might need to undesignate the barrel with k-d. That works with solid items, but the dwarves will take those items out of the barrel and carry them to the dump. That's not the way you want it to happen with a liquid, especially one that might have unfortunate consequences if it comes in direct contact with your dwarves.

So try leaving the barrel designated for dumping first and see if that works. Otherwise turn off refuse hauling on everyone but your baron who makes obnoxious mandates and try with the barrel undesignated.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46053 on: February 09, 2016, 08:23:55 pm »

Played with raws a bit and now im starting up a exclusive goblin civ fortress. Sticking to the main rules, i've also spliced in some extra evil critters and jiggled around with harpies to make them interesting. Maybe one day i will perfect this and make my own (sort of) vanilla goblin fortress story. (Reverse Boatmurdered if you will)

I look forward to putting my future developments into this thread. Strike the cursed earth and go home gobbos, to see if any of the demons down there can take a beating and perhaps free themselves of the tyrannical demon lord that rules over them in the spires and dark fortresses so that they may one day achieve their lifelong dreams of truly being regent during the inevitable age of goblin!

Arise LakeDread! and tonight we dine on finely minced dwarf liver stew with celebratory auroch cheese rolls!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46054 on: February 09, 2016, 09:21:44 pm »

Interesting idea. I've toyed with goblin gulags before. o3o
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46055 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:24 pm »

I'm having a fun time on one of my forts-just waiting for the elves to bring me another grizzly bear so I can get a breeding pair....and make an army of fully trained war grizzlies to back up my steel-clad murder machines.

It's a nice fort.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46056 on: February 09, 2016, 10:37:16 pm »

I finally finished fighting off the siege. Lost 7 fighting dwarves, including the captains of my bow squad and the #2 melee squad (who was the eternally falling dwarf). I'm not sure exactly how many goblins, trolls and beak dogs died and how many escaped. A lot ran away, which was fine with me this time, considering that I only had 26 military to start with against about 270 invaders, and most of the fighting was done in the open, where the invaders could take advantage of their numbers. Most of the warriors who went down did so because they collapsed from exhaustion while isolated and outnumbered.

I'll now finish my siege breaking room, which will hopefully keep most of the fighting inside and in conditions favorable to my dwarves the next time the goblins visit.

The falling dead dwarf continued to slam into the top of the archery target throughout the fight. After all the invaders had died or ran away, I designated the target for removal, and the moment a dwarf started removing it, the corpse fell through to the ground.

Now I've got to go through all the goblinite and sort it, mark the iron for melting, and make sure all the corpses are out of sight before the trade caravan arrives in a few months. It's still early summer, so I should have plenty of time.

Looks like 37 trolls in the dead/missing list, plus 50 beak dogs. It's hard to be sure where the list of goblins from this siege ends and the list from the previous siege begins, but there are 51 goblins, then some crundles, then a short list of goblins about the right size for last year's siege. So I'm going to say my guys got 138 kills with 7 losses. Just about a 20:1 kill ratio, while beginning outnumbered 10:1. Not bad. But that also means that about half of the bad guys got away, figuring there were about 270 at the start. I'll have to try to make sure that is less the next time.

The MVP appears to have been hammerdwarf Morul Konsazir, who started out the fight a rookie with no kills to his credit, and ended up with 26 kills. The next highest total was only 17. I recall seeing him fighting alone, surrounded, swinging his hammer relentlessly, breaking bones right and left, leaving a crowd of unconscious goblins and beak dogs. Just as he brought the last one near him down, he collapsed in exhaustion. He then proceeded to struggle to his feet, stagger to the nearest incapacitated foe, smash in its head like a pumpkin, collapse in exhaustion, then pull himself to his feet again to stagger to the next one. A few times a fresh goblin rode up on a beak dog, and Morul managed to stay on his feet long enough to bring down the pair, then collapse again, only to rise and continue his grisly task. Truly a craftsman dedicated to his work.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46057 on: February 09, 2016, 11:35:36 pm »

A few goblins on beak dogs have also started to show up, but most of the beak dogs are also flashing the blue ! of terror and are heading away from the fray. And well they should,  for things are about to get far worse, because this just showed up in the combat log:

Fikod Nishkalan, Swordsdwarf: Death... I am not upset by this.
Fikod Nishkalan, Swordsdwarf: It was raining on me. It makes me very grouchy.

Now the goblins are facing a grouchy wood-chipper.

Sigged.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46058 on: February 10, 2016, 07:30:42 pm »

I had avoided 0.42.05 because of the export wealth bug. Started anew for 0.42.06. The embark for Murdermined is next to a mountain of limestone, with iron, coal, clay, red sand, and plenty of trees. There's also a river here. The river is full of carp.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IAmTheMadLord

• Bay Watcher
  • I sure do love lunchtime and cutting off thumbs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46059 on: February 10, 2016, 07:42:46 pm »

At least the carp are less powerful than they were?

My fort is currently in it's earliest stages, though it will be an above ground one with mining only for materials and storage, not for housing. The world is Very High savagery and beasts are High. This should bring some !!fun!!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46060 on: February 10, 2016, 07:55:30 pm »

Little more than a month and a half in, and I nearly lost a miner to dehydration from making one of the most basic mistakes about removing the supporting wall of a ramp.

...It's been a while, okay?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IAmTheMadLord

• Bay Watcher
  • I sure do love lunchtime and cutting off thumbs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46061 on: February 10, 2016, 08:03:56 pm »

Don't worry, I killed a man building a wall next to a bridge because he tried to build a section of the wall that wasn't supported first instead of building it outwards from the wall like an intelligent creature.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46062 on: February 10, 2016, 09:14:05 pm »

I accidentally opened the fill valve to my water logic gates while the drain was also open, draining my cistern down from 4 levels deep to just under 1 before I noticed and got the drain closed. And of course, it was already mid-autumn, just after when the local brook freezes up, so I can't just open a bridge and refill the cistern. So I've designated a bunch of pond zones along the edge of the top level of the cistern and opened up access to the water in the caverns. And made some extra buckets.

Of course, the first thing I noticed is that some dwarfs naturally decided that the well above the cistern was a better water source, being closer and all, so they started hauling water out of the cistern via the well, carrying it down one level to the pond zone, and dumping it back into the cistern. Is there a better way to get your dwarves to stop using a well than just forbidding the items the well is made from?

So now I've got a steady stream of dwarves carrying buckets of water up 50 levels of stairs and dumping it into the cistern. It's an 11x11 cistern that's 4 levels deep, so this will take a while, but at least they've got the bottom level completely full and are working on the second level, so I have pressure in my logic gates again.

What I really need is a broom, an axe, and Mickey Mouse.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46063 on: February 10, 2016, 10:34:52 pm »

What I really need is a broom, an axe, and Mickey Mouse.

Sigged.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46064 on: February 10, 2016, 11:29:52 pm »

I just found out my fort has an awesome deity:

"Arist Vomitfang is a deity of the Greater Anvil. Arist most often takes the form of a skeletal female dwarf and is associated with trade, wealth, deformity, disease, death, war and fortresses."

That's one evil badass dwarven deity. Or could she be a demon? In which case this'd be the most dwarfly demon ever.

Also, "the Greater Anvil". Best civilization name worldgen ever threw at me.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 3069 3070 [3071] 3072 3073 ... 3836