Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3084 3085 [3086] 3087 3088 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853761 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46275 on: February 22, 2016, 03:54:25 pm »

Aquifers are one hell of a drug. You might well have more than just ghosts to worry about.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46276 on: February 22, 2016, 06:28:44 pm »

How do I start breeding animals?

My dwarves could use the added meat to their diets, I suppose.

Also, when do you think diets and nutrition are going to be added to DF?

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46277 on: February 22, 2016, 06:35:33 pm »

My dwarves could use the added meat to their diets, I suppose.

Also, when do you think diets and nutrition are going to be added to DF?
Stick a male and a female (or several of both in case of RNG hating) in the same or adjacent pastures, and wait. Add nest boxes for the egg laying varieties and make sure to forbid any eggs in case someone tries to eat them. All you can do after that is wait.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46278 on: February 22, 2016, 06:36:53 pm »

Easiest way is to create a single-tile pasture zone, station a male animal in it, then place single-tile pasture zones adjacent to it for placing up to 8 females around it (though they're bad about being pushed out of the zone and left to wander around, unless you leave room to access all of them, so 7 females is a more manageable maximum).
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #46279 on: February 22, 2016, 07:07:37 pm »

Well, a ghost showed up for about 30 seconds, then left.

And I can see salt! I'm so close to being through this stupid double aquifer!

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46280 on: February 22, 2016, 08:56:52 pm »

Goblin-proofing is about half done, I've got healthy sized herds of muskox and elk, I've caught my first giant polar bear (and trained it for war), I made my mayor my baroness and one of my starting 7 was made king. Busy, busy, busy.

FUCK. A hydra showed up just as the dwarven caravan was pulling in. This should be interesting....and by "interesting" I mean "boy am I glad the caravan guard handled it".
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:47:07 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46281 on: February 22, 2016, 10:38:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cinami Thethiniweni, Plump Helmet Man Swordsman is visiting.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46282 on: February 22, 2016, 11:01:41 pm »

I have obtained a second giant polar bear and now have a breeding pair.

BEAROCALYPSE SOON, MY FRIENDS

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #46283 on: February 22, 2016, 11:02:13 pm »

BEAROCALYPSE SOON, MY FRIENDS

Sigged.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46284 on: February 22, 2016, 11:04:45 pm »

Bearocalypse soon, fellow Stalker goblin!
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46285 on: February 23, 2016, 05:01:14 am »

Easiest way is to create a single-tile pasture zone, station a male animal in it, then place single-tile pasture zones adjacent to it for placing up to 8 females around it (though they're bad about being pushed out of the zone and left to wander around, unless you leave room to access all of them, so 7 females is a more manageable maximum).

Males can impregnate female animals from contact between a cage tile with the male in it, no pasture is strictly needed and wild live birth animals can be (typically wild baby animals will be too small to be harmful or aggressive to dwarves and might freak out/path out of the fortress automatically, placing traps on the route helps unless they are [Prone to rage].) bred via restraints without taming.

Reachers are a good example, humanoid but not intelligent, relatively easy to find underground, yeti's similarly, both have advantages in that they can equip items making live training more interesting and both can be bred on the chain for 'bush-meat' or conservation. (letting yeti's go bolsters the numbers because else they will simply go extinct easily due to low local population, cavern animals can also path out topside but its uncertain whether enough of them would trigger above ground spawns.)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #46286 on: February 23, 2016, 09:06:39 am »

The great famine of 1051 has hit the dwarven capital. Until i get a caravan from the east with it's life saving food supplies, all industry has turned into fishing and hunting.

Armok save me...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46287 on: February 23, 2016, 09:13:51 am »

Left myself a nice siege to deal with this morning; a miner who was sleeping in a mined out area outside the fort dodged all the goblins and ran home through the stonefall traps. The goblins foolishly gave pursuit, and those that did survive went home cripples. I wonder if that will have any effect in the larger world.....

I now have another female giant polar bear, and a nice herd of reindeer. However, I still haven't gotten to farming anything other than plump helmets, which is a bit of a problem, since clothing is starting to wear out....

My world has passed into the age of bronze colossus and mountain titan. The latter has me worried....

This also happened:

I don't have the heart to point out to them that there are no trees here for me to cut down...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:37:22 am by cochramd »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46288 on: February 23, 2016, 10:22:35 am »

I don't have the heart to point out to them that there are no trees here for me to cut down...
Is that new? I never saw that message before.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46289 on: February 23, 2016, 10:43:23 am »

I presume it's as old as the "we've been watching you harm the trees blah blah blah" I usually get. I'm probably not the first to have seen this, since there are others who have embarked on tundras, mountains and deserts.

Pages: 1 ... 3084 3085 [3086] 3087 3088 ... 3836