Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3114 3115 [3116] 3117 3118 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787436 times)

Glitchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46725 on: March 13, 2016, 04:25:57 pm »

Man, I lost one of my Human Hammerlords to a web spitting alligator forgotten beast. He got kicked in his head so hard it exploded despite wearing a steel helmet. Luckily, his friend wasn't too far behind and lopped off the beasts' head before it could do anything else. Danm. One of the fastest battles I've ever seen.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #46726 on: March 13, 2016, 04:39:15 pm »

Yawn.

Atleast I got an artifact armor stand to complete the set. Still, it's like my nagas are competing who can make the worst artifact - this one is worth even less than the earring - 3600 dorfbux.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46727 on: March 13, 2016, 05:13:43 pm »

The ankle went from smashed beyond recognition to fully healed within 3 months, on a dwarf that's slow to heal. She didn't even get to train crutch walking, and my doctor did not make it to legenday diagnostician. Ah well. Better luck next hammering.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46728 on: March 13, 2016, 09:14:46 pm »

Hnng. Anyone got a !!SCIENCE!! thread on the PRODUCT_TOKEN field yet? Liiink meee.

Anyway, back to normal I guess. A second wave of migrants has pushed my kobold population to 22, so I have found myself promptly squading a full 10 and trying to ramp up the foundation of my military needs, as I've now pushed beyond the point where dwarven thieves scouts will eventually visit my site in search of who-knows-what.
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46729 on: March 13, 2016, 09:30:12 pm »

I've now pushed beyond the point where dwarven thieves scouts will eventually visit my site in search of who-knows-what.

Presumably they're looking for whatever tribe stole that artifact sock last year.

---

More hopefuls, all welcomes with open arms by the men of Morksongr.

More houses have been built, but they clearly are insufficient in number for the needs of the norsemen who call this patch of ground home. On the upside, the smith has a proper place to live and work now, and the forge has been moved within it.

There is now talk of readying a squad of huntsmen, armed with a weapon set-up unique to the norsemen to fulfill the needs of hunters in the mod: The Hunter's Bow and Seax. It will hopefully serve well.

Additionally, a hospital is now finished, though it still needs traction benches. The Laeknir was pleased immensely.

There are plans to expand mining operations, as the militia is now terribly under-equipped, but we likely must wait until winter to do so.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46730 on: March 14, 2016, 10:15:11 am »

Well, back to the laptop game. My attempts to bypass the aquifer are all failing, and this time I'm not really intending to make use of the stone. More just want to test that theory that it takes uncovering a stone layer before you can get moods.

I have been able top expose some slate at least, but not been able to mine any of it. :V

EDIT: I decided to engineer something more malevolent to see if that gets them riled up...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It STILL hasn't made them unhappy. No one died from it, so I might tempt fate further and see if I can get the miner flattened.

EDIT 2: Engineered the death of the miner. Even after this, constant nudity, lack of furniture, cavein knockouts, and sun exposure...bloody hell, not ONE of them is so much as stressed.

EDIT 3: For added fun, their puking has contaminated the well, so that's more fun. Now eventually we'll see, if maybe forcing them to endure the miasma of their friend will push them into at least being stressed.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:57:34 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46731 on: March 14, 2016, 10:59:21 am »

I killed two of my dwarves for testing purposes. It looks like dwarves no longer care about losing a friend, or even a sibling. "Urist McBrother didn't feel anything after seeing Urist McSister die. Urist McBFF didn't feel anything after seeing UristMcBFF2 die". The only bad thoughts I could find were on the parents. "Shocked after suffering an unexpected loss".

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46732 on: March 14, 2016, 11:15:37 am »

They're horrified from having seen him die, but no sign that they care about his decaying corpse. Aside from the miasma.

So now I've trapped another behind a fortification to see if she'll crack with a little dehydration, or failing that see if a second death is adequate to piss them off.

I mean bloody fucking hell, I've pushed these 7 well past what would've caused a tantrum spiral in older versions. I think this is giving me reason to believe I can be a lot less careful about keeping dwarves happy.

EDIT: Look at this dorf.

How is this not the imploding mind of a broken maniac? How are any of these dwarves still functional? D:

EDIT 2: "Is there something to be happy about?" No, Rovod. Not here.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 11:57:45 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46733 on: March 14, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »

Oh. Fun. This is a bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9074

I guess my only hope is to dig out more soil and pray that makes strange moods possible. If population is a requirement, I'm screwed. ;w;
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46734 on: March 14, 2016, 01:12:44 pm »

See what happens if you start brewing them alcohol. Perhaps being drunk will tip them over the edge. No mugs. Because then the no drink bad thought will be replaced with the not drinking from a mug bad thought.

EDIT: OMG really. forced to drink VOMIT? Hot damn, + one for dwarfiness. See if you can get some dwarf blood into that well too, see if they like cannibalism.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:17:08 pm by martinuzz »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #46735 on: March 14, 2016, 01:32:09 pm »

Welp, due to the "visitors hostile and wont leave" glitch after unretiring a fort, I've decided to take the drastic way to get rid of them.

Already killed more than 20 at the time I took the pic.

Looks like I got a long way to go, and I don't know if I have enough cannon fodder to get me through this.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:39:11 pm by ZM5 »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46736 on: March 14, 2016, 02:56:39 pm »

Blind Cave Ogres have thick skulls. That, and warhammers just are useless weapons (when compared to the usually 1 or 2-hit kills on ogres and trolls from spears or axes). The named artefact in that sceenshot is a platinum warhammer.
Best thing to do is, use warhammers to train hammerdwarf skill to legendary, then switch to steel crossbows. No ammo required, although it's a nice bonus to have your warhammers do some ranged damage.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I might be overly negative about the warhammers. The dwarves from the screenshot aren't legendary hammerdwarves yet (accomplished, professional and expert)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:01:04 pm by martinuzz »

Booze Age

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46737 on: March 14, 2016, 03:01:05 pm »

I think I've found the inversion of the "visitors hostile and wont leave" glitch in a fort I wanted to start by reclaiming a fort ruined in the early world history. It was already inhabited by dwarves of my civilization, who only belong to the civilization itself and no other group. They have all the profession and clothing of "normal" dwarves, even a drunk two dozen Z-level away from their (booze-free) tavern. And a male roc. The dwarves are all marked as hostile and when i find one of them, an ambush announcement pops up. I'll try to live with them without killing them and breed the roc. Failing that, I'll use a save file I set aside and do some !!SCIENCE!! to all of them. My only concern is the fact that i have no access to overworld trees in this fort.

In your opinion, is this a bug/glitch? I think nor, because it matches the behaviour of ruin inhabitants, as explained by the wiki here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Town#Destroyed_towns

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46738 on: March 14, 2016, 03:21:24 pm »

See what happens if you start brewing them alcohol. Perhaps being drunk will tip them over the edge. No mugs. Because then the no drink bad thought will be replaced with the not drinking from a mug bad thought.

EDIT: OMG really. forced to drink VOMIT? Hot damn, + one for dwarfiness. See if you can get some dwarf blood into that well too, see if they like cannibalism.

They were getting the "drinking vomit" thought only when standing on the water source zone tile that they puked on, it seems. The "well" seemed to be vomit-free. :V

Also, I'd have to mod quarry bushes to be brewable since that is literally the only available source of plants I gave them, so I might just mod in a syndrome caused by eating quarry bushes.

Maybe set to cause rage instead of euphoria...
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46739 on: March 14, 2016, 04:04:23 pm »

The dwarves of The Dust of Biting are now expert giant cave spider trainers!

Is this the highest attainable level in fort mode, or is there a level beyond this?

Pages: 1 ... 3114 3115 [3116] 3117 3118 ... 3835