Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3130 3131 [3132] 3133 3134 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5862263 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #46965 on: April 02, 2016, 11:34:06 pm »

I noticed a funny fact: in .34.11, marksdwarves without proper training range became hammerdwarves eventually.
I had a full squad of marks who I let train with those melee squads. They even sparred with each other using their crossbows as a hammers.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46966 on: April 03, 2016, 12:25:48 am »

I accidentally left a hole when I walled off the caverns and so a troll wandered into my fortress.

He was pretty friendly actually, dwarves wandered past him happily, a miner even went to sleep in a bed 3 tiles from him. Only the cats were scared.
Mr. Troll didn't do much, just wandering about, but he smashed up a few workshops. Apart from that he was just a big cuddly friendly troll.

Except... Then my tanner got a strange mood and claimed a leather working shop. The troll, being the clumsy goof he is promptly went over and smashed the leather working shop.

This made the tanner go berserk and he began punching the troll in his rage. The troll, understandably, got annoyed. And so he hulk-smashed the tanner into oblivion breaking half of the tanner's bones in the process and quickly ending his life. The troll then humbly waddled off back into the caverns and I sealed the hole.

The moral: Errr, tanners are stupid.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46967 on: April 03, 2016, 04:34:05 am »

Back to 42.06.
I reclaimed a 10000 years old fort. Oh, sweet magma.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46968 on: April 03, 2016, 04:34:27 am »

In a corner of the living area is a statue garden. Formed mostly by mistake, the single statue features a long forgotten battle in which a goblin struck down a human. This corner grew dusty through neglect long ago. These days dwarves have taverns, temples and libraries to keep them entertained, who needs an old fashioned statue garden?

Late one night the fortress guard patrol spotted a light coming from the forgotten corner. Fearing another reckless tree climber had returned from dead, they hurried over to check. Two goblins, members of a visiting performance troupe, stood before the statue, whispering to each other in their strange dark tongue as they gazed in wonder at the act violence before them. The fortress guard didn't understand, but made a note to keep a really close eye on these two in the future...

-- well I thought this was very interesting. Nobody's ever been to the statue garden before. In 42.x statue gardens seem to be pretty much obsolete. And yet, after checking out the library, these two goblins (real goblins from real goblin civs, albeit outcasts) ended up here. This is also the first time I've ever seen a df character be interested in a statue for the person depicted, not just a favorite object. It is terrifying.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46969 on: April 03, 2016, 07:04:54 am »

The moral: Errr, tanners are stupid.

Lucky!  Nobody needs a legendary tanner anyway  :D
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46970 on: April 03, 2016, 07:49:48 am »

Barinks just opened its first library... which took some doing, since it's deep beneath a haunted glacier.  I made copper furniture for everything in it, so what does the RNG decide to name it?

The Copper Bastion.

It's a sign I chose wisely.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46971 on: April 03, 2016, 09:57:00 am »

playing a v31 fortress, to get back into things before looking at the latest version.

An elf diplomat showed up at an unseasonal time - middle of winter, and gave my fortress administrator a stern warning that we had "Desecrated the trees" and that any further cutting would be punished.

I think that our clear-felling of the entire map may have had something to do with this...

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46972 on: April 03, 2016, 10:04:40 am »

Damn, I inscribed a slab but forgot to set it up. The ghost killed the only armorer.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46973 on: April 03, 2016, 12:45:32 pm »

They always get your armorers first.

In other news. I decided to look through all of those old version folders I had sitting around on my disk and see what was in the saves. Nothing really interesting, except for a huge fucking fort with engravings all over the place, an unbeatable militia, hundreds (and that is NOT an exaggeration) of dead goblins and trolls, and a duchy. It was on the edge of becoming the capital. I probably had it for some real life months before it fell to a forgotten beast. Beware its fire.

Note that this fort was in 40.24. Compare it with my current fort in 42.06 that I have been working on for just under a month and my 42.06 fort looks more like an anthill with a wall around it.

So that's when I realized that 40.24 is a lot easier than 42.06, and from now on I am going to play 40.24.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:01:57 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46974 on: April 03, 2016, 01:25:32 pm »

I just got the best artifact weapon in a while... "The Mortified Vandal", a lead mace.

Take THAT, evil mist thrall!  Bet you feel mortified now!

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #46975 on: April 03, 2016, 06:06:22 pm »

I noticed a funny fact: in .34.11, marksdwarves without proper training range became hammerdwarves eventually.
I had a full squad of marks who I let train with those melee squads. They even sparred with each other using their crossbows as a hammers.

That's intended, and still happens in this version as well.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Daman453

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46976 on: April 03, 2016, 09:13:10 pm »

Making a moat, is hard, taking so long the world entered The Golden Age

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46977 on: April 03, 2016, 09:21:46 pm »

Made another kobold kamp. I'm still relying on my untested hatch defence against future building destroyers. Beyond that, I'm making it less dwarfy and more koboldy. Just carving out open spaces to place workshops, stockpiles, and furniture in, plus the occasional ramp up or down. A lot more compact than my normal build style, which uses interconnected 5x5 rooms.

Aside from the dog airlocks, a stream access that is ONLY accessible from inside the artificial cave, and some plans for adding fortifications, this should look nice and koboldy.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #46978 on: April 03, 2016, 10:49:51 pm »

GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #46979 on: April 03, 2016, 11:33:35 pm »

Congrats. You have smelted dwarfite bars.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3130 3131 [3132] 3133 3134 ... 3836