Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3153 3154 [3155] 3156 3157 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864561 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47310 on: April 30, 2016, 11:02:25 pm »

Two necromancers and their army just bypassed my fort.
 ::)

bigjaredmonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace-ace ace-ace of ace-aces
    • View Profile
« Reply #47311 on: May 01, 2016, 06:23:21 am »

For some reason, a tribe of four wolverine men walked up to the front door of my fortress, two of them became enraged and then they decided to walk off, spooking the yak cow I started with.
This is a birch door. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. This object menaces with spikes of chicken leather. On the item is an image of ravens in birch.
Noob fortress, a succession game for noobs.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157847.0

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47312 on: May 01, 2016, 08:10:11 am »

Nothing's happening in my fort, since the hard drive DF was installed on had decided not to be read by the motherboard.
i once had that problem. before the HDD completely gave up, i put it into an extern USB-HDD-case and my system then accepted it just fine, so i was able to save ~80% of my files.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47313 on: May 01, 2016, 01:34:50 pm »

For some reason, a tribe of four wolverine men walked up to the front door of my fortress, two of them became enraged and then they decided to walk off, spooking the yak cow I started with.

I'm laughing far harder at this than I should be.  It sounds like something that would happen in spider and scorpion.

"moo?"  "rrrrRRRRRRRRRRRAUGH"
"moo!!"  "rrrrrrrrauuuugh?"
"moo!?"  "boring, I leave"
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47314 on: May 01, 2016, 01:38:22 pm »

My pump tower somehow got activated early, squirting water 10 tiles in every direction like a leaky fire hydrant.  The only injury, miracously, was a useless fisherdwarf who got blown out the side and fell 10 levels to break his leg.  Yay, now I get to build a hospital!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47315 on: May 01, 2016, 01:53:16 pm »

Also, I had badgers inside somehow and don't know why, but axedwarves dealt with them handily.

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47316 on: May 01, 2016, 02:28:39 pm »

Started my new fort, volcano embark, I've been pretty lucky: There's marble, iron, gold, and copper. Not what I expected from a volcano. And it's surrounded by forest.

I also decided that, for this fort, none of my dwarves will condescend to engage in tasks which are not sufficiently dwarfy. Mostly they won't be farming, so I have to trade for all my food. But there's so much good stuff around here, unless I get huge migrant waves right away, that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I think if I get some slaves foreign citizens, eventually I can have some farming. We can let the riff-raff do such things.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47317 on: May 01, 2016, 02:36:20 pm »

I also decided that, for this fort, none of my dwarves will condescend to engage in tasks which are not sufficiently dwarfy. Mostly they won't be farming, so I have to trade for all my food. But there's so much good stuff around here, unless I get huge migrant waves right away, that shouldn't be a problem.
So farming bad, but picking dirty things off trees and the great outside dirtpan like a bleeding elf is dwarfy enough?  I hope the fishing's good :D

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47318 on: May 01, 2016, 02:44:42 pm »

So farming bad, but picking dirty things off trees and the great outside dirtpan like a bleeding elf is dwarfy enough?  I hope the fishing's good :D

Oh, no. Definitely not. I said "mostly they won't be farming," because that's how I'd usually get food, but they won't be gathering plants either. No, if they get plant material from anything but the caravans, they must destroy (so wood cutting is allowed... one must cut down the forest, after all). Actually, I think the only option for alcohol if trade grinds to a halt might be beekeeping, and I'm not sure that's dwarfy enough either (but at least it's not FARMING).

If I get slaves, they can farm and gather plants. If I get enough slaves, some of the humans might even be allowed into the fort proper as haulers. But not the elves. No, as soon as an elf becomes a "citizen" (if that ever happens), he will be stuck near the surface, given sub-par quarters, forced to farm and dig in the dirt. The only shame is that such creatures might even ENJOY that life. The hippies.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:53:07 pm by Kogan Onulsodel »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47319 on: May 02, 2016, 01:16:14 am »

It didn't seem bad at the time, but I just started a fortress with a new regional interaction. Turns out my locust swarm freakish weather is fatal. 5 out of 7 dwarves dead within about a month, taken by two separate swarm events. Work on the fort halted because everyone is too dead or unconscious to do anything. Ravens fall out of the sky and explode on impact with the ground.

Had hoped it would only be a minor inconvenience, not unavoidable Fun involving huge lakes of blood from the dwarves and livestock.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #47320 on: May 02, 2016, 01:24:36 pm »

Entered the caverns, and the Serpent people seem to be at war with Amphibian people. So I've filled my barracks with both serpent people and amphibian people corpses, to slowly harden the minds of my guards.
Not sure if it'll work, but it's going well so far.

Also, my previous militia commander became King. He's now mandated the construction of Amulets thrice, and the moment a caravan showed up that I could sell the stupid amounts of rock crafts to, he banned the export of amulets.
He's now the King of Amulets.
And he wears a Giant Toad bone crown.

In other words, the fort is going well.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47321 on: May 02, 2016, 01:57:34 pm »

It didn't seem bad at the time, but I just started a fortress with a new regional interaction. Turns out my locust swarm freakish weather is fatal. 5 out of 7 dwarves dead within about a month, taken by two separate swarm events. Work on the fort halted because everyone is too dead or unconscious to do anything. Ravens fall out of the sky and explode on impact with the ground.

Had hoped it would only be a minor inconvenience, not unavoidable Fun involving huge lakes of blood from the dwarves and livestock.

Maybe just take it down a notch or two.

If you can get them to make their way actually inside the fortress (unless it's totally sealed up) instead of acting like normal evil weather, you could make it so that they only cause trouble by destroying crops and stockpiled food. That seems more like what plague of locusts should do. Undeniably FUN if you make them good enough at destroying crops and food, but more realistic. Unfortunately, probably harder to implement.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47322 on: May 03, 2016, 12:49:52 am »

Had to pause work on the project a bit because a siege showed up. About 120 humans with beak dogs (probably goblin-enslaved humans, since the proper humies are happily trading with us). We have 80 fort-dwellers, just over fifty dwarfs, the rest residents. One squad of military, eight soldiers, four of them legendary. No defensive architecture to funnel the masses so they won't utterly overwhelm the military.

Eh, whatever. Just build a minecart grinder. Took around two weeks to construct. Of course, once the first invaders had been splattered, the rest of the squads stood in the entryway without moving and just waited, while overdue visitors kept trying to exit (and blowing apart, but at least that prevents them from abducting library books). Once we shut the entrance bridge, the bulk of the invaders finally got unstuck, filed into the grinder and were converted to gibs.

Cost us most of our tame animals and our rep may have gone down since more than a dozen guests died.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47323 on: May 03, 2016, 04:12:54 am »

i finally managed to get a militia running and find out how to control them.
they cleared the lowermost levels and explored the caverns and killed ~10 troglodytes.
the lowestmost workshops are about zlevel 6!!! i fear the bards and dancers may found a circus...
they killed the FB that drove out the previous owners of the fortress.
they fought against a magmacrab that somehow managed to get inside, although there is no path into the fortress except the one on the surface.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47324 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:07 am »

Started a new fort, to make things more interesting I embarked on a terrifying biome, their hasn't been any trouble so far, well other then the first caravan getting turned into zombies and all but two of my dwarves dying.

I was eventually able to recover this and currently have twenty dwarves in my fort, the army of two has got some training in and was able to take down a zombie pig. I'm waiting to see if a badly timed cloud will end up being the doom of the fortress, it probably will, especially if it hits my military.

For the most part the fortress is setup, now I mostly need to get everything smoothed and maybe try and make an arena for goblins to fight in, maybe humans and elves to if I decide to fight them later on.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: 1 ... 3153 3154 [3155] 3156 3157 ... 3836