Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3154 3155 [3156] 3157 3158 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788725 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #47325 on: May 04, 2016, 12:07:42 am »

Another day in DF.  A hunter just spent about 6 full screen pages of combat logs trying to kill a Dralthla by beating it with the butt of his steel crossbow. 

And then on his way back with the dralthla corpse hefted over one shoulder he comes across a Giant Cave Spider and just casually one handed punches it in the cephalothorax knocking it out cold, and continues on his way still hauling the body like nothing happened.

EDIT:  Actually.  the spider is dead.   Not sure if he did it and I misread the log or if something else killed it.  EDIT2: Ah the cephalalothorax includes the head so when he punched that into a gory mess it killed the spider.  So better than a knock out punch, a 1 Hit Kill punch.

I think this guy might be a better hunter without the crossbow.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:26:49 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #47326 on: May 04, 2016, 02:28:27 am »

Started a new fort, to make things more interesting I embarked on a terrifying biome, their hasn't been any trouble so far, well other then the first caravan getting turned into zombies and all but two of my dwarves dying.

I was eventually able to recover this and currently have twenty dwarves in my fort, the army of two has got some training in and was able to take down a zombie pig. I'm waiting to see if a badly timed cloud will end up being the doom of the fortress, it probably will, especially if it hits my military.

For the most part the fortress is setup, now I mostly need to get everything smoothed and maybe try and make an arena for goblins to fight in, maybe humans and elves to if I decide to fight them later on.

Whatever you do, do NOT eat any food that has been dropped outside !
See, if merchants come with food, and a cloud drifts nearby it, the food becomes contaminated. And when a dwarf eats it, it thralls him  :P

Happened to me once, I too had a fort like yours. And this f*** contaminated raspberry turned one of my warriors husk !
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fiery_Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47327 on: May 04, 2016, 04:27:15 am »

One of the most interesting events in my world is the settling of a dingo named Bedo Rareburn in a place called the Hill of Honour. I have had four previous artifacts and numerous crafts with images of this event.
My most recent artifact, however, is a birch figurine of Bedo Rareburn. It is a masterfully designed image of Bedo Rareburn the dingo in birch by Kadôl Vuzdedbesmar. Bedo Rareburn is laboring. The artwork relates to the settling of the dingo Bedo Rareburn in The Hill of Honour in 53.
It is decorated with birch and encircled with bands of platinum, oval claystone cabochons and voracious cave crawler leather. This object menaces with spikes of birch and rock salt.
On the item is an image of The Quick-Stance of Busters the steel short sword in birch.
On the item is an image of a point cut gem in prase.
On the item is an image of The Quick-Stance of Busters the steel short sword in badger leather.
On the item is an image of Bedo Rareburn the dingo in gypsum. Bedo Rareburn is laboring. The artwork relates to the settling of the dingo Bedo Rareburn in the Hill of Honour.

Seriously, it is an image of a dingo laboring, with another image of a dingo laboring on it, as well as two images of an artifact steel short sword in two different materials. At least it doesn't have an image of itself on it.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47328 on: May 04, 2016, 06:00:39 am »

One of the most interesting events in my world is the settling of a dingo named Bedo Rareburn in a place called the Hill of Honour. I have had four previous artifacts and numerous crafts with images of this event.
My most recent artifact, however, is a birch figurine of Bedo Rareburn. It is a masterfully designed image of Bedo Rareburn the dingo in birch by Kadôl Vuzdedbesmar. Bedo Rareburn is laboring. The artwork relates to the settling of the dingo Bedo Rareburn in The Hill of Honour in 53.
It is decorated with birch and encircled with bands of platinum, oval claystone cabochons and voracious cave crawler leather. This object menaces with spikes of birch and rock salt.
On the item is an image of The Quick-Stance of Busters the steel short sword in birch.
On the item is an image of a point cut gem in prase.
On the item is an image of The Quick-Stance of Busters the steel short sword in badger leather.
On the item is an image of Bedo Rareburn the dingo in gypsum. Bedo Rareburn is laboring. The artwork relates to the settling of the dingo Bedo Rareburn in the Hill of Honour.

Seriously, it is an image of a dingo laboring, with another image of a dingo laboring on it, as well as two images of an artifact steel short sword in two different materials. At least it doesn't have an image of itself on it.
when thinking about crafts that i could make on a medieval market, i sometimes imagine such things :D
from wood, bone, leather and whatnot... i never actually make those, but i imagine them.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47329 on: May 04, 2016, 01:44:35 pm »

I began work on the arena and had a problem or two but nothing I considered important at the time. I also set up some cage traps to help deal with the zombies a bit I was even able to capture a giant skink zombie, I thought to myself "AYY, THE ARENA IS DONE, I SHOULD PUT THE GIANT SKINK ZOMBIE IN THERE!" So it was thrown in the pit and I lowered the bridge holding it in the pit area and let it roam...That problem or two I had earlier when making the arena? I had accidentally dug it out wrong so I had to put a wall in to make it look right, I used a boulder, it was a rough wall, that was connected to the top, zombie got out, one casualty, two people lost a foot and a few people are scarred. oops

Well I decided to make the arena a few Z's deeper to hopefully avoid this happening again, something bad is probably going to happen, but its more fun that way.

edit: suddenly a cloud comes by and some animals outside get turned, a few casualties many injuries and I get a dwarf zombie in a cage, I like this. I do the only logical thing and place the dwarf zombies cage in the middle of my tavern.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:53:16 pm by nomoetoe »
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47330 on: May 04, 2016, 04:23:39 pm »

I knew I forgot to do something before this play.  I forgot to mod in a human sized hostile race to be a bigger challenge against my human sized fortress race than goblins*. 

Fortunately it seems the local goblin civ population is something like 95% my fortress race so looks like I don't have to worry about it this play.  (I still murdered the hell out of that siege.  Embarking with a competent military teacher does wonders for training it seems.)

*I also forgot to give the custom race access to beekeeper, gelding and waxworker jobs again, but I've done that so much I'm considering just making it canon that they don't know how to bees, and as lizards they don't understand gelding.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47331 on: May 04, 2016, 05:29:21 pm »

Goblin X-mas has started coming regularly in my fort, and now I can't melt everything down fast enough. I use a single smelter for melting because I don't want to worry about partial bars sitting around in the others.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47332 on: May 04, 2016, 05:43:36 pm »

Is there anyway to attack a Dwarf with your own militia?  I am trying to figure out what to do with the were infected Dwarfs in my hospital.  Can I break down the walls, when they turn back to normal, and have them killed?  Will my militia even obey that kind of order?  I know they did not before - but can they be tricked?  Can I order them to attack when the Dwarfs are weres and will they attack even after the change? 

I hate to allow a perfectly good hospital go to waste.  And a Dwarf is trapped in there with them who is uninfected and totally ignored at the moment.

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47333 on: May 04, 2016, 06:07:33 pm »

Is there anyway to attack a Dwarf with your own militia?  I am trying to figure out what to do with the were infected Dwarfs in my hospital.  Can I break down the walls, when they turn back to normal, and have them killed?  Will my militia even obey that kind of order?  I know they did not before - but can they be tricked?  Can I order them to attack when the Dwarfs are weres and will they attack even after the change? 

I hate to allow a perfectly good hospital go to waste.  And a Dwarf is trapped in there with them who is uninfected and totally ignored at the moment.

You'll provoke a loyalty cascade. Just build a temporary new hospital and rig up a flooding mechanism to take care of the problem. Use magma, because I can't remember whether untransformed werebeasts need to breathe.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #47334 on: May 04, 2016, 06:15:46 pm »

Use magma, because I can't remember whether untransformed werebeasts need to breathe.
They do, so water will be fine. But use magma anyway.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47335 on: May 04, 2016, 06:43:10 pm »

Best way to disinfect any iron goods they have of any lingering weregerms.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47336 on: May 04, 2016, 07:17:06 pm »

Use magma, because I can't remember whether untransformed werebeasts need to breathe.
They do, so water will be fine. But use magma anyway.
just for the extra ‼Fun‼  :D

my recent forts repeatedly crashed so often that i really don't know if it still is worth talking about what happens when they don't even "survive" the first year.
i even tried a very small world, butafter 125 years, the gobbos always make up 3/4 of the (civilized) world population even after changing their maxage to 30:60.
i now will go for 20:30 and hope more of them die before they get any offspring or snatch enough kids.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47337 on: May 05, 2016, 12:20:03 am »

A weremammoth (the second one the challenge my fort, in fact) visited today. But for some reason it kept walking back and forth in the river, never approaching the fortress. It killed a giant sponge at some point, but mostly I have no idea what it was doing down there. In any case it turned human while still in the water and drowned.

And I got my marksdwarves all lined up for nothing.
Akur Akir Akam!

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #47338 on: May 05, 2016, 10:51:33 am »

At some random point, my entire embark decided to reset itself (all non-open space tiles reverted to what they were on moment of embark), trapping my dwarves within stone walls, but not killing them outright. All 49 of them were trapped in rock.

So, I had to use DFHack to teleport one of the dwarves free, who then proceeded to re-dig the whole fortress, saving everyone from starvation. Also, the bug ended up revealing the entire map, including the Circus. Unfortunately, this bugged out a number of buildings, furniture, and zones, resulting in little being able to get done. I wasn't about to re-place all of my stuff, so I had to abandon the fort after retiring and reclaiming it, which made more problems than fixed.

And so ends the 1 and a half year saga of The End of Time, died to a map reset.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47339 on: May 05, 2016, 02:23:31 pm »

A cavern troglodyte keeps running into my underground cage traps.  The same one.  And they aren't placed in a corridor or something, it's in the middle of the cavern.

I'm trying to catch stuff I can try to tame, so I keep releasing it (releasing it via 5 z-level drop back into the cavern onto spikes of course) and it just keeps shrugging off the wounds and then making a beeline back into the cage trap.  Only to be hauled back up to the cavern critter processing stockpile, and then dumped back into the cavern.

If I didn't know better I'd think that my fortress turned into some kind of cavern critter amusement park.

EDIT: It finally died from the fall.  5th attempt by my count.  I guess he had too much fun.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:44:15 pm by Greiger »
Pages: 1 ... 3154 3155 [3156] 3157 3158 ... 3835