Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3202 3203 [3204] 3205 3206 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787257 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48045 on: July 31, 2016, 06:50:50 pm »

And now the crundles in the third cavern layer are acting up. Sent the newly-equipped spearkobolds down to secure the area while I extract more glorious blue goodness. I think while I ponder further balance shenanigans, I might end this fort with opening up hell, and seeing how well raw adamantine spears and arrows fare against demons.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48047 on: July 31, 2016, 07:26:47 pm »

probably not very

If I hadn't set the max edge high enough to be usable for stone weapons, yeah. :V

Though the lack of decent armor and kobolds being snack-sized would fuck me over worse.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #48048 on: July 31, 2016, 07:27:03 pm »

And now the crundles in the third cavern layer are acting up. Sent the newly-equipped spearkobolds down to secure the area while I extract more glorious blue goodness. I think while I ponder further balance shenanigans, I might end this fort with opening up hell, and seeing how well raw adamantine spears and arrows fare against demons.
Son you are barely holding your own against regular cavern critters.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48049 on: July 31, 2016, 07:28:27 pm »

Correction, I am barely holding my own against fucking troglodytes. Crundles I can handle. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48050 on: July 31, 2016, 09:40:45 pm »

Correction, I am barely holding my own against fucking troglodytes. Crundles I can handle. :V

How is a troglodyte not a regular cavern critter?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48051 on: July 31, 2016, 10:03:26 pm »

Apparently I have implemented a near-perfect werecreature capture system, because Mansionvipers now has three weres in captivity.  I mean, I knew it would work, but I didn't know it would work this well.  We now have a weretortoise, a wererat (not the same one that savaged my dogs some years back, which means there is at least one more out there) and a weresquirrel.

This is quite interesting to me, given that trapavoid ambushers are kind of a complication to my desire of always-open entrances with 0 casualties. With open doors, how do you prevent whatever else shows up from killing the dogs? Those same cage traps?

I'm now imagining open-air dogs on chain viewed through fortifications + windows, with the only path to dogs being through a long-ass labyrinth in soil.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:05:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48052 on: July 31, 2016, 10:04:36 pm »

welp one of my military dwarves became the king via inheritance but I'm not the capital so XD

Khorin Athol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48053 on: August 01, 2016, 02:32:37 am »

Today my dwarves elected a mayor that "has a poor ability to manage or understand social relationships" and "quite poor focus".

Good use of democracy, Urist McFuckwits.

Wolzly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48054 on: August 01, 2016, 02:41:41 am »

Humans came with some news, there's a new overlord on the block...

I wonder if he commands oompa-loompas?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48055 on: August 01, 2016, 02:47:46 am »

How is a troglodyte not a regular cavern critter?

True, I guess it's more "intelligent pests" versus "wildlife" really. But yeah, troglodytes have been pure hell. D:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Yerland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48056 on: August 01, 2016, 04:13:45 am »

Killed a Forgotten beast that warned "Beware of its deadly blood" or something like that. Didn't have much choice so my macedwarfs had to go smash it(curbstomp battle). Luckily the effects seem not to be fatal as none of my dwarfs have died to anything other than accidents and none of them show up as having injuries in the health tab. The only effect I can tell is that anyone whom comes in contact with the beast's blood will permanently bleed, but not to a point that it is lethal to even my cats(judging by the trails of cat blood and lack of dead cats).
 So other than one of my squads painting everything red with their own blood wherever they go, things are going good in BellBasements, not bad for my first Fortress.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48057 on: August 01, 2016, 05:39:37 am »

This is quite interesting to me, given that trapavoid ambushers are kind of a complication to my desire of always-open entrances with 0 casualties. With open doors, how do you prevent whatever else shows up from killing the dogs? Those same cage traps?

Thus far we've only had weres and a minotaur; population is still low at 54.  I moved the dog pasture backward about 5 tiles, so that they are not visible to something standing at the door, and now the weres don't barge through the doors anymore.  They stand there trying to destroy the door instead.

Here is the setup:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's nothing exceptional here.  Weres are unusual in trapavoid creatures in that they ambush.  However, here is my FB destruction channel:

That corridor is full of upright steel spikes, but they are retracted so you can't see them.

It would be pretty simple to combine the two so that the setup catches both weres and titans.

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48058 on: August 01, 2016, 11:41:26 pm »

Well i made a new world. made a new fort,
and got found just about a perfect embark has an ocean, a cave,  An enemy dwarf warlord and crew that i buffed to OPness,sand, clay, soil, a mountain, cliffs,a volcano and right next to goblins so that will be !!fun!! i'm near Elfs, humans, dwarfs and even more goblins.
I had enough fish to last 30 or so years but then guess what? !!fun!! happened but the not so fun kind...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:24:20 am by Wyrdean »

xub313

• Bay Watcher
  • Recruit more masons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48059 on: August 02, 2016, 12:44:41 am »

I almost flooded my fortress. Hey, did you guys know that fortifications don't neutralize water pressure? I swore they did. Thankfully I had a drain ready to go so it got cleaned up quickly.

At the same time I had a werehyena attack that killed two dwarves and infected another with lycanthropy. I should chain some dogs outside as scouts to protect against another ambush.
Pages: 1 ... 3202 3203 [3204] 3205 3206 ... 3835