Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3203 3204 [3205] 3206 3207 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787115 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48060 on: August 02, 2016, 12:47:40 am »

Yeah, fortifications don't help with water pressure. Diagonal-only pathways do, though; water can flow through the diagonal but when water moves diagonally it forgets about the pressure. Or something like that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48061 on: August 02, 2016, 05:56:17 pm »

Had to savescum after a raven decided to freeze my entire starting fort. Each of fourteen dwarves was sitting outside caught in eternal job cancellation bc of a zombie raven hovering twenty tiles up...

crundle

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #48062 on: August 03, 2016, 10:27:09 am »

Machineworks just got its first human full citizens - both were bards before, now they man the furnaces :)
Also, three of twelve cannons are now fully operational... can't wait for the next gobbo horde.
The Foreign Legion is now 30-human strong (+4 dorfs to lead the squads) :D

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48063 on: August 03, 2016, 09:44:07 pm »

Giant grizzly bears, y'all.  Giant.  Grizzly.  Bears.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48064 on: August 03, 2016, 11:18:52 pm »

Giant grizzly bears, y'all.  Giant.  Grizzly.  Bears.
Tame them!

Giant Grizzly Steaks. Giant Grizzly leather armor. Giant Grizzly Bone Bolts shot from Giant Grizzly Bone Crossbows. Giant Grizzly Bone decorated everything.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48065 on: August 04, 2016, 08:31:48 am »

I created a new world and a new fort, I decided that that everything that I named would be moon themed, from the groups name to the military squads name, the group symbol is a crescent moon impaled on a long sword.

Anyway, normal fort building stuff, nothing interesting other then almost immediately finding loads of hematite, so I'll easily be able to arm a squad or two and have plenty left over for replacement gear.

I decided to make some big temple dedicated to the moon, unfortunately there are no deities with a moon sphere, but that won't stuff me from imagining my dwarves being a bunch of crazy moon cultists. This project has also me more interested in multiple z-level building underground, I doubt much will come of it but it should be interesting.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48066 on: August 04, 2016, 08:35:43 am »

made a fort near 3 necro towers.  i HAD humans,elves and dwarves as my neighbors when i started.

now im holed up inside the fort, there is a necro army twice the size of my entire population just hanging on my doorsteps. and i haventh heard of anybody else except the elves for 3 years now. shits looking grim mates.

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48067 on: August 04, 2016, 10:23:43 pm »

I just reclaimed a 50 year old fort. I spent about ten minutes getting to know my dwarves by reading their endeavors and beliefs. I saw that one of my dwarves worshiped this deity that was the goddess of the Wind, Sky, and Moon and took the form of a female Osprey(Some kind of hawk). I thought it was pretty cool, so I made an Olivine statue of the deity to put in my newly made temple. A few minutes later, I see that an animal had entered my fort's territory. I go to look and, to my surprise, it was a giant female Osprey! I thought the coincidence was so cool that I'm considering making that deity my fort's primary goddess.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #48068 on: August 04, 2016, 11:03:35 pm »

The captain of the speardwarf squad in my fort has been through some rough fights. First she took on a giant cave spider almost single-handedly while on patrol in the caverns. She managed to slay it with the help of her faithful war dog, which distracted the giant cave spider's webbing long enough for her to stab it in the head. But she had gotten her right arm bitten during the fight and lost the ability to grasp with her right hand.

Then, a few months later, the speardwarves were sent into the caverns to slay a duo of giant blind cave ogres. The captain was the first onto the scene of the fight, but because of her arm injury, she could not wield a shield and spear at the same time. Her spear was strapped to her back and she had only her shield out. I did not realize this until she was already in battle, otherwise I would've adjusted her uniform to only wield a spear.

So she wound up fighting against two giant blind cave ogres with only a shield and her crippled arm for a bit while the rest of her squad caught up. She fought valiantly, blocking attacks, bashing with the shield, scratching with her crippled hand, and even biting her foes. She actually scared the two ogres. Not long before her squadmates showed up to reinforce, she was bitten by one of the ogres on the left arm. The force of the giant ogre bite mangled her entire arm and shoulder beyond recognition. She was reduced to kicking and biting the ogres before her teammates arrived to stab the ogres to death.

And so now she's entirely lost the ability to grasp either a spear or shield. It's a real shame, she's one of the highest skilled speardwarves in my military. I'm considering retiring her from duty and making her the fort's first scholar. Maybe she could write books about stabbing things with a pointy stick and pass her knowledge on to others. Not sure how she'd write without the ability to grasp, but I'm sure she could figure something out.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #48069 on: August 05, 2016, 10:42:24 am »

Not sure how she'd write without the ability to grasp, but I'm sure she could figure something out.

It's a little known fact that dwarves don't write with ink, but bite off one of their fingertips and fingerpaint with the bleeding.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Ubrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48070 on: August 05, 2016, 01:48:52 pm »

Damnit Urist. This is not how you treat precious materials.

I am quite curious as to wether or not there is an image of the artifact on the image of the artifact (Repeat ad infinitum)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48071 on: August 05, 2016, 01:53:46 pm »

Sweet. Now install it into a masterfully-designed and masterfully built well or bridge :) Room value should near 30 million.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #48072 on: August 05, 2016, 01:55:05 pm »

I idd that to my inn and main dining room. Got a lever to control the were cage in there that boosted the room from a modest dining room to a legendary dining room
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Ubrael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48073 on: August 05, 2016, 02:23:34 pm »

"Look at this lever lad, 'tes the finest lever in the land. Fit for a king, and worth half the mountainhome."
"But pa, why a lever? We're at war with the goblins, and are frequently assaulted by undead."
"Ach, lad. Look... Shiny."

At least the mechanism can be used to increase room value... My fort is way too small to have any need for a hammerer. With only 1 bi and 2 straight females out of 20 dwarves, I don't see myself reaching that point any time soon either.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48074 on: August 05, 2016, 03:04:14 pm »

Well, you stick hammer can into a weapon trap, but no architecture bonus there. Still, with 2 pieces of adamantine it should at least make an overlapping royal room.
Pages: 1 ... 3203 3204 [3205] 3206 3207 ... 3835