Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3226 3227 [3228] 3229 3230 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786883 times)

Scorch

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48405 on: September 10, 2016, 12:48:27 am »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

A force of... elves.
I am not at war with the elves.
*checks civilization screen*
I am still not at war with the elves.
*checks inventory of elves*
These elves are armed and armored with metal and clothed in troll fur.
These elves are citizens of a goblin civilization.

I am highly amused. The pointy-eared invaders were quickly made into mincemeat by my swordsdwarf squad. I think I'm going to smith them all some commemorative flasks with an appropriate image. Perhaps some dwarves striking down elves and laughing.
...and have a fortress protected by weaponized killer trousers. No need for an army. When goblins arrive, just deploy the pants.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48406 on: September 10, 2016, 03:56:38 am »

SCP Foundation

Monstercontained overseer log, part 1a.
Authorized by O5 command.
CLEARANCE LEVEL 4 REQUIRED FOR PERUSAL.

Several more D-class brought into fortress. All direct contact between D-class and fortress command successfully avoided.

Self-sustaining food supply ensured for fortress command. Dependency on upper fortress eliminated.

Bedrooms dug for upper fortress. One bedroom locked and outfitted with second door to lower fortress, to be used for escape in case of emergency.

Supplies arrived. Gems exchanged for food, steel, tools, a water buffalo (promptly slaughtered) and a billy goat.

Outside sensors detected a cloud of horrid fog southwest of fortress proper. Cloud disappeared after approximately 23 minutes. Project 32-C "Laughing Gas Party" authorized by O5-██ to gather information on cloud properties. Aforementioned billy goat tethered to rope in area previously affected by cloud.

On 27 Timber 10:13, merchants left. Shortly thereafter, incident 001-073 is estimated to have taken place. Upon discovery of the merchant bodies, D-005 was sent out for recovery and information gathering, which triggered incident 001-074.

After incident, D-004 was instructed to dig a new entryway into the fortress with traps for creature recovery. Simultaneously, the lower fortress was expanded to include a barracks (periodical training schedule included) and memorial hall for the deceased.

On Timber 21, sensors remarked the lack of life signs from the billy goat used in project 32-C. It was discovered a flock of undead ravens had assailed the animal and killed it, after which the goat returned as undead. Reanimating properties of the southwestern site area confirmed: a trait not shared with the other parts. Request for weaponization research pending O5 approval. Project 32-C deemed a failure: no restart scheduled in the near future.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:59:46 am by Derro »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48407 on: September 10, 2016, 09:25:09 am »

"Oh hey, plant gatherer -" *spots undead sloth bear* "oh hey, now plant fert..."

"GRAINS!"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48408 on: September 10, 2016, 10:10:57 am »

"Oh hey, plant gatherer -" *spots undead sloth bear* "oh hey, now plant fert..."

"GRAINS!"

Best pun
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48409 on: September 10, 2016, 11:02:34 am »

A dozen worlds rose up before my eyes.  Beasts and battles, fortresses and legends.  A veritable tome of War & Mythos.  A cursory glance showed that some could even rival Cacame himself, with Legends fantastic beyond imagining.  All of these independent, living breathing existences... reduced to rubble, relegated to the cosmic recycling bin... because none contained an Evil Ocean, and Armok demands zombie fish.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48410 on: September 10, 2016, 11:09:52 am »

Have you tried setting desired evil square counts in large region to infinity? :P

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48411 on: September 10, 2016, 12:03:22 pm »

Have you tried setting desired evil square counts in large region to infinity? :P
I actually have, yes.  This resulted in Goblins & Towers ruling the world after a mere 50 years :-\

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48412 on: September 10, 2016, 12:17:45 pm »

Here's something interesting.

I had an invader get chopped up by a trap, and he was carrying a book. It's a guide on the goblin pits he came from.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48413 on: September 10, 2016, 12:18:54 pm »

After a long spell of nothing wrt: uninvited guests, Mansionvipers attracted a small goblin siege, a cyclops, another siege, a marsh titan, a hydra, and finally a male roc.  The titan had a look of unbelievable peace, but nevertheless put up a fight and became titan burgers.  The roc was difficult to capture because it is a coward and it tended to run away from the traps that are within view of the giant grizzly bear pasture, but it finally blundered into one.  We're currently breeding hydrae, so roc breeding is still in the future.

I also booted up Daggerblue after a hiatus.  It's a new fort in an evil biome so it requires actual attention on my part, and I finally had some to give it.  It took two years of careful management to avoid the undead buzzards, but we finally got the covered pasture completed.  It was good timing: we got some animals unexpectedly when the dwarven caravan scuttled two wagons in horror at the blood rain.  That's going to be annoying if it becomes a habit; the wagons clearly need a covered path to/from the map edge.  That will be the next project after I get the fortress arranged.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48414 on: September 11, 2016, 11:32:57 am »

Fortress has a mini-group of Olm-people running around layer one where I was farming, most got killed by a giant crock except for one male, he ran to a corner and after the sounds that echoed up from his hole I nicknamed him "Slappy." Slappy died a few years later after a failed attack on a "grabber." He had several kills to his name by then however, but lo and behold my caves are empty of Olm-folk to run around frolicking. Darn. I miss Slappy.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48415 on: September 11, 2016, 09:12:35 pm »

It's taken 6 and a half months of round the clock construction but the Baron's mansion is almost finished. Surprisingly he has not complained even once about not having an office or dining room at all, and his bedroom being a cookie cutter apartment. His unstress is actually maxed from cranking out masterwork shell crafts constantly. I think I made the right choice.

As a side effect of the construction I also have a glass industry now.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #48416 on: September 12, 2016, 09:21:37 pm »

I was on the ".../NightmareFuel/DwarfFortress" part of TVTropes and came across... Inspiration which has burnt through a couple fortresses: (Bolded words bolded by me for emphasis)

Necromancers are bad enough, but if one is killed in Fortress mode and isn't interred or memorialized properly, they, like everyone else, can become a ghost to come back and haunt you. What's really creepy is that they can still raise corpses... including their own. And then there's the nice little quirk of werebeast limbs raised by necromancers regenerating entire creatures on a full moon.

I am currently infuriated at how hard it is to weaponize this into an inexhaustible army of werebeast troops. Only ONE fort thus far has had a werebeast, which was promptly burnt by an FB I'd been forced to rebuild my forces for since the most recent zombie siege had hit me hard.

At least necromancers are rather easy to get. RNG hasn't 'blessed' me with a Ghost Necromancer, which I am okay with since I haven't come up with a way to contain them so they would be useful. Sadly, I must use a live Necromancer. :(
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #48417 on: September 13, 2016, 11:50:08 am »

So, giant elephants seem to regularly path by my fort. I set out to catch a few, and was willing to sacrifice a few war dogs for the endeavour. What I didn't count on was for the dogs' trainer to get involved as well, at least, just right after he grabbed a drink. One fatally crippled dwarf later, and two of his buddies also get in the mix. Turns out booze + anger at loss don't mix well.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48418 on: September 13, 2016, 05:13:24 pm »

After switching from one laptop to another and back again, I decided to create a new world and map on the old laptop (which works better than the "new" one, interestingly).

Anyway...

In the Dimension of Wind, The Blowing Lance sent out an expeditionary team in order to found what they hoped would be a new dwarven city.

That site would be known as Spearriver.

This is their story.

The site itself was set next to a brook. A wide variety of trees were found here, including:
Tea
Avocado
Willow
Coffee
Pomelo
Pomegranate
Macadamia
Paradise Nut
Date
Additionally, the wild-growing plants included:
Alfalfa
Fisher Berries
Maize Plants
Muck Roots
Pearl Millet Plants
Prickle Berries
Rat Weed
Rice Plants
Rope Reeds
Strawberry Plants

A dog fought with a Giant Weasel, leaving blood and vomit on a few spots of the map (apparently Taffer colorset makes vomit blue). We're just getting started, so some actual news should arrive soon!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48419 on: September 14, 2016, 07:37:39 pm »

At least necromancers are rather easy to get. RNG hasn't 'blessed' me with a Ghost Necromancer, which I am okay with since I haven't come up with a way to contain them so they would be useful. Sadly, I must use a live Necromancer. :(
Use adventure mode to steal a book of life and death and donate it to the library. Necromancer fort, necromancer ghosts.

As for the werebeast, get the adventurer infected (by getting bitten or toppling temple statues,) then infect the retired fort. Sneak, bite hand, grab throat, wait until unconscious, sneak to next victim. Hopefully they don't leave the fort after being infected.

Limb severing is done by leaving specific parts unarmored and (I think) using serrated glass disks. Don't recall whether they're supposed to be shotgunned or in traps (which the dwarves fall asleep on.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:44:31 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 3226 3227 [3228] 3229 3230 ... 3835