Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3227 3228 [3229] 3230 3231 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787965 times)

mangame5

• Bay Watcher
  • "I am here, click me!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48420 on: September 15, 2016, 09:35:19 am »

This is the same fort I'm recreating in Minecraft. See here.
First, a goblin siege shows up. 90 invaders in total. Luckily, they can't cross the river for some reason and seem to be buggering off.
Then this happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
30 seconds later, this:

I'm a lucky dwarf.

[EDIT]

Nevermind. The goblins saw the "epic battle" and finally got over their fears and hopped on over to my side of the river. Bummer.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:38:29 am by mangame5 »
"Quiet... I'M TRYING TO SNEAK UP ON THEM!"

Legendary Emu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dig cisterns everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #48421 on: September 15, 2016, 02:35:14 pm »

Two things.

My first project is trying to build an aqueduct that pumps water from the river up two z levels and lets it into a giant pipe that flows straight down into an artificial underground river. The river flows under the first draw bridge and falls down two z levels into a nice meandering creek where I have all my living and workshop stuff.

The other thing is that my Crossbowdwarves have a glaring lack of quivers, and desperately need a source of leather to make them useful. I've been trying to train a couple so that I can make them hunters for a while and get some leather and meat and XP. Unfortunately my marksdwarves are awful at training and would rather sit around talking to the White Tigerman "bard" (obviously a spy) than help their kingdom survive a siege. Too bad, Dabbling Marksdwarf. You're going on a hunting trip.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48422 on: September 15, 2016, 08:15:06 pm »

Goblins sent a small scout platoon, the lead troll wandered into the mine field and the giant axe blades gelded him before taking his legs off and leaving him to bleed out, the other goblins stood there in stunned horror.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48423 on: September 16, 2016, 06:39:39 am »

My fortresses got wiped out by a hoard of undead. The undead themself did not do much, but my attempts to encourage into my trap corridor resulted in all my dwarfs either being killed by the undead, or from thirst(i had no booze and no water due to being locked indoors).

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48424 on: September 17, 2016, 11:19:39 am »

Just dig like a possessed dorf down to the caverns and all is well Henry47, remember: Plan A-Z will fail, so have plan 0-5 trillion on hand at all times. Backup plan upon backup plan upon backup plan...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48425 on: September 17, 2016, 12:31:33 pm »

not much. undead from the tower are visiting.  i chased off the necromancer, and am trying to convince my dwarves that they need to stick with combat training, but progress is slow.

the zombies are just standing around doing nothing at the far edge of the map.

the embark has flux, water, and easy access to magma, but not a single bit of metal, meaning i am using stone and wooden weapons.

animal supply line hasnt been going long enough to make lots of leather, so no armor as of yet either.

nasty.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #48426 on: September 17, 2016, 01:27:31 pm »

The last I was in Rewardpages, a Hydra came to visit. As I have been rebuilding the entrance to a more formidable structure, and it was incomplete (the gates weren't linked to levers yet), I sent in the veteran units of my military. 7 dead, 1 crippled later, the Hydra was dead.

One of the dwarves, a recent recruit, had his arm ripped off, and then proceeded to smash the Hydra repeatedly with his shield. Another bit the thing hard enough to tear into it's flesh. Of course, a veteran macelord got her head torn off without accomplishing anything. In the end, my commander did the most damage, removing 4 heads and two limbs, and walked away without so much a scratch, though someone else got credit for the kill. She also never feels anything seeing her charges killed, even though it was her direct squad which lost half it's number in the fight. She never feels anything at all, and never has, even from the very first skirmish with goblins.   

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48427 on: September 17, 2016, 04:17:02 pm »

The main floor of Warblisters is buzzing with activity:

Check out the DFMA if you are so inclined.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48428 on: September 17, 2016, 04:51:05 pm »

That's what, 250 FPS?

Quite horizontal :v

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48429 on: September 17, 2016, 05:04:41 pm »

Our home was attacked by a weregiraffe, which proceeded to bite the hands (and then heads) off of two of my fisherdwarves. The military showed up and began stabby-stabby procedures, only to have the weregiraffe start biting off MORE limbs, breaking bones, and rolling around for hours until finally bleeding to death.

The guard captain had his arm and hip broken via grapples, and also had a hand and a leg bitten off.  I figured the removal of the bitten limbs might keep the curse from spreading.  Oh, how wrong I was...

Next month, as my soldiers are training, two of them turn into weregiraffes and murder a whole bunch of people before being put down. Now I have to quarantine the survivors of THAT attack before my entire fortress is just destroyed by lycanthropic giraffes.

Always remember: Nothing short of the cold embrace of death will stay the lycan curse.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48430 on: September 17, 2016, 06:50:19 pm »

Speaking of lycan curses, a Wereopossum turned up at Spearriver a while back. Killed a cavy pup and one dwarf, and herbalist.

Regrettable losses, but it could have been much worse. Thankfully, before it could get to my shoddy defenses (comprised of two stone doors), it suddenly turned back into a goblin and ran away.

Also, a Metalsmith became possessed, but there was almost no metal. Thankfully, I melted a copper battle axe, which was sufficient. What I got from the artifact was...

The scattered webs have all run out, and the spiders are gone, for better or worse. Probably for the better, given that some of them were giant spiders.... Ugh....

Gathering more plants.

Don't quite have an economy set up yet, but we do have someone cooking and making dozens of salads, so that's cool.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48431 on: September 17, 2016, 07:33:19 pm »

A were-lion showed up at my fort, with a grand announcement. It was early and my defenses were meager. However, I expected a lengthy tussle, walling off a doorway or such, and it would run off, at which point I could quarantine the survivors experimental !!SCIENCE!! subjects.

"Ho-hum," I thought, reading the description, and deciding little had changed since I last played DF many moons ago. But then I got to the end, and it said something like,  "It is associated with the night, moon and death." Crap. If this thing has domains, like deities, I might be in trouble.

I watched in trepidation as the possible were-lion-god ran towards my open gate as I braced myself for utter devastation.

And then it ran past the gate. Could there be a chance for survival?

I watched as it tore into some sort of beast-man that had been a great nuisance to me. The fight lasted just a moment, but apparently it was full moon, because the beast-man immediately turned into a were-lion and started fighting back. Though it still died, it managed to cripple the daddy were-lion so badly that it was unable to do anything else before the moon ran out and it transformed back into a naked human and ran off again.

Maybe things haven't changed that much.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48432 on: September 17, 2016, 07:37:24 pm »

Oh, also: Apparently a troll managed to crawl up a wall in the cavern stairwells and get inside my fort. I was made aware of a strange message "Urist McTrollslayer has become attached to a statuette of buttock quigoss." WTF I ask myself? And WTF is buttock quigoss? Anyway I have no militia, so I have no idea how the dwarves managed to gang up and beat it to death despite my utter lack of caring (nothing important was being disrupted), but they eventually did. Urist McTrollslayer was apparently hauling a statue of some wierd modded creature called buttock quigoss (perhaps it's an unfortunate name?) and then bonked the poor unconscious troll in the head repeatedly in excess of 50 times with this statue. Now he won't put it down. I guess I'll let him keep it.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #48433 on: September 17, 2016, 09:17:25 pm »

It seems the climate is warm enough that Autumn and Winter are only time periods on a calendar as opposed to times where the land grows too cold for wild plants to grow.

Great for plant gathering.

Ildac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48434 on: September 17, 2016, 11:01:19 pm »

I've decided to take all the survivors from the earlier-mentioned weregiraffe attack and stick them in the hospital (where they've likely wound up anyway, considering what happened).  I will then lock the hospital and set up a second one nearby for injuries unrelated to cursed wounds.  I'm sure some non-cursed dwarves will end up sitting in there with the werebeasts, and I'm sure they'll wind up with their heads bitten off like the others.  A price we'll have to pay for the fortress at large.

Once I've gotten everyone quarantined (god, I hope), I'm going to make a room specifically for the cursed dwarves.  This will basically be their retirement home; completely sealed off from the others, with a several Z-level drop for food pitting, and a well so they don't die of thirst.  Maybe I'll drop some booze down there every so often, or at least have some delivered after they've finished their monthly rampage.  Dwarves still need their ale, cursed or not.  In addition, I'll have a connected room, sealed off by floodgates or something, where I'll pit any captured invaders.  This will align with another part of my plan:

The Temple of the Giraffe God.  All captured goblins, kobolds, beasts, and unwanted/unworthy dwarves will be sacrificed in its name.

EDIT: I have discovered that werebeasts don't need food or water.  Even better.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:00:24 am by Ildac »
Pages: 1 ... 3227 3228 [3229] 3230 3231 ... 3835