Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3229 3230 [3231] 3232 3233 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788501 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48450 on: September 19, 2016, 01:48:59 pm »

No! The DWARVEN answer is to exploit BOTH, and link them undergound!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48451 on: September 19, 2016, 02:51:46 pm »

Journal of Minesly, 22d Granite, 125

Phew, what a week. I averted a food crisis after we had only five rations left by introducing a few of my crewmen to the joys of herbalism. It may be humiliating, but I guaranteed that the founders would get some priviliges later on, which calmed them down a bit. Our fisherman has lost his fish cleaner, but he doesn't feel like building a fishery, so I guess we'll just subsist raw mussels and fresh fruit. The food is slimy and horrible, and there's no booze at all, but life could be worse. Some idiot suggested we link the two hills with a tunnel, a project only even a maddened noble would not consider lumping on seven hungry and underskilled dwarves. Really, some people: I had to give him a severe dressing down.

He's right, in that a minecart line linking the mining hill with the habitation hill might be useful in the future, but that was my idea, and I had it first anyhow.
One wheel short of a wagon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48452 on: September 19, 2016, 02:58:11 pm »

Lol! How delightfully dwarven!

Still, you can assign new labors on your dwarves. Setting brewer on your herbalist is considered normal, expected behavior.  Fruit can be made into booze. Fish cleaning can be assigned on your fisherdwarf as well. Dwarves won't eat raw mussels, as far as I know.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48453 on: September 19, 2016, 02:58:20 pm »

Had an ocean with deadcold paintings for the purpose of anti-flying undead, saw it sheared into a warmer grassland airspace like desired.

Got Giant Sparrows on test embark, decided to see if they would die. Yup, frostbite ate all of them. So far so good.

Two corpses got stuck in trees when falling down. Kinda mess to retrieve for butchering, I guess, but eh.

Well, there's two corpses missing now? Hm...The cold ate one, but as for the other?

The ocean, being fucklarge, was obviously evil and reanimating. And since it's coldness sheared into the trees, so did the reanimation.

I got notified of this when my jeweler died, being eaten by frostbitten giant sparrow corpse.

I have mixed feelings about this.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #48454 on: September 19, 2016, 10:34:26 pm »

Just learned a hard lesson on claiming an adventurer camp: don't put items into cabinets or other containers if you plan on crafting with them. Your dwarves even after being reclaimed unless you dump the stuff then reclaim them first. Pity I didn't know that beforehand. I probably coulda saved my legendary armorer and half the fort from a weremammoth attack had I not needed to waste time on dumping/reclaiming all that holy metal stuff.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48455 on: September 20, 2016, 12:19:51 pm »

Picked up the fort again, looked again at the combat reports.

One herbalist: Dead
One human hammerman: Dead
One human bard: Dead
One human bard: Bitten
One thresher: Bitten
One human spearman: Bitten

The thresher cooperatively limped into a hospital room and was conveniently amontillado'd.
The spearman also went to a hospital bed, then promptly got up and wandered off to get a drink while i was deconstructing the door.
The bard hung out for a bit and then asked for membership, which was summarily denied. It'd be really funny if I run into her as an adventurer later on.

The spearman got his drink, and then went to get some food. Perversely, he wandered to a butcher shop. I locked the doors behind him and stationed three squads outside (to be safe.)

When the 8th of Timber hit, I sent the squad in and the werebison was swiftly decapitated.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Yerland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48456 on: September 20, 2016, 03:17:31 pm »

First epic caverns battle for the first fort I've made went as follows,
Spotted cave dragon roaming around, decided that was dangerous and sent 1st square to take it out (4 macelords, 1 spear recruit, well made steel equipment) the recruit happens to get in front of the charge and engages the dragon... Can't land a single blow and is shredded to death by said dragon. Next in line is a macelord. Runs up to the dragon and hits it in the head with her steel mace, the dragon falls unconscious. She then hits it I. The head again, killing it.
Well recruits no longer get to be in combat squads till competent.

Different fort, were chameleon climbs outer wall(no overhang yet) into animal pasture, is spotted and mauls nearby donkey before charging the nearby dwarfs fleeing inside. No time to gather military, closest member get there and kill it!
3 fisherdwarfs fight unarmed against the beast before a competent steel clad hammerhead arrives. She promptly begins dominateing the fight without taking a single hit, until near death the beast manages to bite her hand, and is slain, one of the fisherdwarfs bled out but otherwise I have 3 infected.
Highest priority a pit is dug next to my well spillway, the infected at ordered there. Next month the 3 transform and the spillway is opened, 3 drowned heroes and the fort is safe. They are buried in personal tombs for sacrificing all for the fort.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48457 on: September 20, 2016, 03:52:08 pm »

Journal of Minesly

We now have a great deal of food. Our fisherdwarf has finally started cleaning the fish he left lying in the brook where he caught them. Or rather found, as he brings us nothing but mussels. One corner of an ancient fisherdwarven plot to do no work has been unveiled and dealt with, but how many remain? With their love of the outdoors and their leisurely lifestyle, fisherdwarves are a disgusting class of humanoid, like oily-smelling elven nobles. Pah.

I have assigned a deputy to work on the noble dwarven art of brewing, and the first rooms and passageways have been torn from the mountain rock. We are following an ore deposit for the bedroom passages: some nice shiny galena underfoot will come in handy at some point. I must make everyone a mug after a bit, lapping revolting water like an animal is starting to get people down. The fauna here is unthreatening so far, though the size of the rats and birds gives me the shivers... a dwarf's true place is underground.

We are a humble seven yet, but there are riches in the mountains, and we will plunder them at our leisure, as is our Armok-given right!
One wheel short of a wagon

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #48458 on: September 20, 2016, 10:47:22 pm »

Huh. Didn't realize how much more dangerous danger rooms actually are now that injuries can occur from overextended skin and limbs and such. Even the strongest metal armors and clothing did little to alleviate this...

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48459 on: September 20, 2016, 11:22:12 pm »

Huh. Didn't realize how much more dangerous danger rooms actually are now that injuries can occur from overextended skin and limbs and such. Even the strongest metal armors and clothing did little to alleviate this...
Do they still work? I thought Toady changed them.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48460 on: September 21, 2016, 01:20:29 am »

This is what happens when you are too confident about your military and traps...

Over 250 goblins + beak dogs + trolls, too many for my 3 squads of dwarves. Only a spearmaster survived, I had to use civillians.

Double post, oops.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:58:27 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48461 on: September 21, 2016, 01:39:12 am »

UNACCEPTABLE.

That is what a ballista pointing down the hallway is supposed to fix. When the military fails, the siege engineer shoots the big pointy bit down the hall.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48462 on: September 21, 2016, 01:55:04 am »

FUN!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is what happens when you are too confident about your military and traps...

Over 250 goblins + beak dogs + trolls, too many for my 3 squads of dwarves and 70 some cage traps. Only a spearmaster survived, so I had to use civillians eventually.

Actually most of them were sitting in the taverns drinking with the queen when the bad news arrived. Most of them ran for their lives and began to vormit when they saw the sun, some of them joined the army(or whatever left of it) and fought the goblins. The last few elite soldiers who were badly wounded rushed out of the hospital and joined their fellow dwarves. Eventually they won, but a spearmaster was the only survivor of the old military.

But things had not died down, the dwarves thought the goblins were gone so they moved out to bury the dead, when a goblin lahser and a goblin hammerman suddenly ambushed them, they killed many civillians and murdered the spearmaster in the hospital. Without leaders, the civillians lost the will to fight, they fell to the two goblins one by one.

Eventually, after killing a dozen of helpless dwarves, the hammer goblin was beanten to death by a couple of drunkards when he tried to raid the tarverns...
As for the lasher goblin, he decided to visit the caverns but fell into a cage trap and was captured alive.

The slaughter finally stopped, but the dwarves would remember that day, they would tell the horror story of the goblin lasher, Zolak Vicecontained the Green Day.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48463 on: September 21, 2016, 03:23:47 am »

-snip-

Was every member of your squads legendary? Color me surprised because I have yet to see a legendary everything fall in regular combat, though they have been wounded.

Warblisters survives, though no one is happy about it. The constant deluge of elf blood has put a damper on everyone's spirits. One particular dwarf felt so terrible, he claimed a butchers shop:

Then he just stood there. I had no bones. Well, at least it isn't a fell mood, I thought. However, having only a chicken and a cat, I had a tough choice of victim. Except not, because no matter how cute they are, cats don't lay eggs.

And then, he was done:

A trashy bracelet?? And he isn't even that much happier because of it.

He's been banished outside and told that if he ever wants to step foot underground again, he needs to supply us with a new cat.

In the meantime, a covered walkway is under construction to save the sanity of everyone else. Check it out here!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48464 on: September 21, 2016, 03:33:57 am »

Was every member of your squads legendary? Color me surprised because I have yet to see a legendary everything fall in regular combat, though they have been wounded.
16 of them.
But you are right, that in previous versions, it was hard for legendary soldiers to fall. Currently, well, they get tired easily and die.

Another vile force or darkness arrived right after the dwarves cleaned out the battle field...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:25:52 am by Libash_Thunderhead »
Pages: 1 ... 3229 3230 [3231] 3232 3233 ... 3835