Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3229 3230 [3231] 3232 3233 ... 3711

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 3950581 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48450 on: September 19, 2016, 03:00:12 am »

The world has passed into The Age of the Dragon.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48451 on: September 19, 2016, 03:08:06 am »

I've decided to build a fortress in a style like that of Machu Picchu.

I'm building rectangular rooms into the side of the mountain, then shaving the slopes back to give a blocky mountain look.

I'm also going to use a pumpstack to bring the river at the mountain base to the top so I can have it flow through canals down the mountain like Machu Picchu.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48452 on: September 19, 2016, 10:39:56 am »

I got things going in a 43.05 vanilla fort, so it's slow going without DTherapist. 

I just have 23 migrants so I was busy making sure no one has hunting active when a fight starts. 

One of the rules for this game session is no weapons, so I painstakingly selected 10 of 34 pop those with some Dabbling Dodger skill at least. 

I got my 10 "no uniform" recruits, and luckily it's a Giant Chameleon (C) only, and not a were-type.  The C was on top of a wall on z+2, so really the fight is on top of the wall on z+3.  There are no ladders or ramps going up there, but I have 12 dwarfs managed to climb up to beat the C through orders of vengeful thoughts.

It's a good thing one of the migrants ranger brought along a steel crossbow which was used to bash the C's head into gore. 

Technically, having a weapon is against the spirit of the rule, but setting a "no uniform" squad adheres to the rule. 

It's not my fault Ranger Urist holds on to a weapon he migrated with.

Now, I just have to construct stairs access to lets everyone get down from the 1z wall. 

These dwarfs' legs are too short to jump down 1z.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48453 on: September 19, 2016, 01:44:18 pm »

Journal of Minesly, 15th Granite, 125

Well, things went swimmingly at the capital, and I managed to get myself promoted to expedition leader, by pulling a few strings and licking a few sets of toes. My cousins will be so jealous, to hear about the prime mining land ready for exploitaion by my outpost, Avuzlanir, "Minesly". And we will. It's the perfect dwarven name: sounds dramatic and mythical if you don't know the language, but duplicitous and cave-dwelling to the core, just like us. My steady band will rise to create one of the most famed fortresses in Kogan Thak, and they'd better believe it.

Right away, we run into a problem. Two hills! Both equally distant from water and the wagon, both stretching up promisingly... which to choose? The bigger one, of course!
I'm not around much anymore. I'll still check PMs though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48454 on: September 19, 2016, 01:48:59 pm »

No! The DWARVEN answer is to exploit BOTH, and link them undergound!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48455 on: September 19, 2016, 02:51:46 pm »

Journal of Minesly, 22d Granite, 125

Phew, what a week. I averted a food crisis after we had only five rations left by introducing a few of my crewmen to the joys of herbalism. It may be humiliating, but I guaranteed that the founders would get some priviliges later on, which calmed them down a bit. Our fisherman has lost his fish cleaner, but he doesn't feel like building a fishery, so I guess we'll just subsist raw mussels and fresh fruit. The food is slimy and horrible, and there's no booze at all, but life could be worse. Some idiot suggested we link the two hills with a tunnel, a project only even a maddened noble would not consider lumping on seven hungry and underskilled dwarves. Really, some people: I had to give him a severe dressing down.

He's right, in that a minecart line linking the mining hill with the habitation hill might be useful in the future, but that was my idea, and I had it first anyhow.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48456 on: September 19, 2016, 02:58:11 pm »

Lol! How delightfully dwarven!

Still, you can assign new labors on your dwarves. Setting brewer on your herbalist is considered normal, expected behavior.  Fruit can be made into booze. Fish cleaning can be assigned on your fisherdwarf as well. Dwarves won't eat raw mussels, as far as I know.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48457 on: September 19, 2016, 02:58:20 pm »

Had an ocean with deadcold paintings for the purpose of anti-flying undead, saw it sheared into a warmer grassland airspace like desired.

Got Giant Sparrows on test embark, decided to see if they would die. Yup, frostbite ate all of them. So far so good.

Two corpses got stuck in trees when falling down. Kinda mess to retrieve for butchering, I guess, but eh.

Well, there's two corpses missing now? Hm...The cold ate one, but as for the other?

The ocean, being fucklarge, was obviously evil and reanimating. And since it's coldness sheared into the trees, so did the reanimation.

I got notified of this when my jeweler died, being eaten by frostbitten giant sparrow corpse.

I have mixed feelings about this.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #48458 on: September 19, 2016, 10:34:26 pm »

Just learned a hard lesson on claiming an adventurer camp: don't put items into cabinets or other containers if you plan on crafting with them. Your dwarves even after being reclaimed unless you dump the stuff then reclaim them first. Pity I didn't know that beforehand. I probably coulda saved my legendary armorer and half the fort from a weremammoth attack had I not needed to waste time on dumping/reclaiming all that holy metal stuff.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48459 on: September 20, 2016, 12:19:51 pm »

Picked up the fort again, looked again at the combat reports.

One herbalist: Dead
One human hammerman: Dead
One human bard: Dead
One human bard: Bitten
One thresher: Bitten
One human spearman: Bitten

The thresher cooperatively limped into a hospital room and was conveniently amontillado'd.
The spearman also went to a hospital bed, then promptly got up and wandered off to get a drink while i was deconstructing the door.
The bard hung out for a bit and then asked for membership, which was summarily denied. It'd be really funny if I run into her as an adventurer later on.

The spearman got his drink, and then went to get some food. Perversely, he wandered to a butcher shop. I locked the doors behind him and stationed three squads outside (to be safe.)

When the 8th of Timber hit, I sent the squad in and the werebison was swiftly decapitated.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Yerland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48460 on: September 20, 2016, 03:17:31 pm »

First epic caverns battle for the first fort I've made went as follows,
Spotted cave dragon roaming around, decided that was dangerous and sent 1st square to take it out (4 macelords, 1 spear recruit, well made steel equipment) the recruit happens to get in front of the charge and engages the dragon... Can't land a single blow and is shredded to death by said dragon. Next in line is a macelord. Runs up to the dragon and hits it in the head with her steel mace, the dragon falls unconscious. She then hits it I. The head again, killing it.
Well recruits no longer get to be in combat squads till competent.

Different fort, were chameleon climbs outer wall(no overhang yet) into animal pasture, is spotted and mauls nearby donkey before charging the nearby dwarfs fleeing inside. No time to gather military, closest member get there and kill it!
3 fisherdwarfs fight unarmed against the beast before a competent steel clad hammerhead arrives. She promptly begins dominateing the fight without taking a single hit, until near death the beast manages to bite her hand, and is slain, one of the fisherdwarfs bled out but otherwise I have 3 infected.
Highest priority a pit is dug next to my well spillway, the infected at ordered there. Next month the 3 transform and the spillway is opened, 3 drowned heroes and the fort is safe. They are buried in personal tombs for sacrificing all for the fort.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48461 on: September 20, 2016, 03:52:08 pm »

Journal of Minesly

We now have a great deal of food. Our fisherdwarf has finally started cleaning the fish he left lying in the brook where he caught them. Or rather found, as he brings us nothing but mussels. One corner of an ancient fisherdwarven plot to do no work has been unveiled and dealt with, but how many remain? With their love of the outdoors and their leisurely lifestyle, fisherdwarves are a disgusting class of humanoid, like oily-smelling elven nobles. Pah.

I have assigned a deputy to work on the noble dwarven art of brewing, and the first rooms and passageways have been torn from the mountain rock. We are following an ore deposit for the bedroom passages: some nice shiny galena underfoot will come in handy at some point. I must make everyone a mug after a bit, lapping revolting water like an animal is starting to get people down. The fauna here is unthreatening so far, though the size of the rats and birds gives me the shivers... a dwarf's true place is underground.

We are a humble seven yet, but there are riches in the mountains, and we will plunder them at our leisure, as is our Armok-given right!

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #48462 on: September 20, 2016, 10:47:22 pm »

Huh. Didn't realize how much more dangerous danger rooms actually are now that injuries can occur from overextended skin and limbs and such. Even the strongest metal armors and clothing did little to alleviate this...

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48463 on: September 20, 2016, 11:22:12 pm »

Huh. Didn't realize how much more dangerous danger rooms actually are now that injuries can occur from overextended skin and limbs and such. Even the strongest metal armors and clothing did little to alleviate this...
Do they still work? I thought Toady changed them.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48464 on: September 21, 2016, 01:20:29 am »

This is what happens when you are too confident about your military and traps...

Over 250 goblins + beak dogs + trolls, too many for my 3 squads of dwarves. Only a spearmaster survived, I had to use civillians.

Double post, oops.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 01:58:27 am by Libash_Thunderhead »
Pages: 1 ... 3229 3230 [3231] 3232 3233 ... 3711