Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3230 3231 [3232] 3233 3234 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786990 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48465 on: September 21, 2016, 08:16:29 am »

Seal yourself in?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48466 on: September 21, 2016, 08:21:20 am »

Seal yourself in?
Yeah, that was what I did for the second siege.
They left by themselves.

Cynicalsob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48467 on: September 21, 2016, 08:55:50 am »

I embarked on a dragons lair, earlier had an E.L.E with a forgotten beast as i forgot to close the wellrooms when it appeared and it killed 90% of the population.
Time goes on more worthless slaves migrate i got dragonbreeding setup with the original pair their 6 children and their soon to hatch 14 children all is fine and dandy.

Then this happens
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its not one of mine its a wild one.

-edit-
The last moments of 14 dwarves who were hopelessly trapped in the upper levels of the enterance tower

The first casualty Tobul Tahakablel, you shall immediately be forgotten for you were a meaningless cog in the machinery

I love the smell of burning dwarves in the morning
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:18:38 am by Cynicalsob »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48468 on: September 21, 2016, 10:44:22 am »

Aw. Could have made distraction sacrifice with a different dwarf removing the up/down stairs.

Nevertheless, that's one skidding fortress.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #48469 on: September 22, 2016, 09:48:57 pm »

Huh. Didn't realize how much more dangerous danger rooms actually are now that injuries can occur from overextended skin and limbs and such. Even the strongest metal armors and clothing did little to alleviate this...
Do they still work? I thought Toady changed them.

From what I understand, spear-trap danger rooms still work for weapon training, armor training, and dodging, just not as efficiently as they used to (on top of being more, well, dangerous, as I found out). They no longer train fighting at all, and likewise don't train observation and I believe discipline. Similarly, I'm certain Shafts of Enlighment are no longer significant for powerleveling, and I believe Coinstar rooms are likewise defunct.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48470 on: September 23, 2016, 12:32:05 am »

They probably work on shield training* as well, though I'd guess "still work" need not apply to 43.04 due neck twisting on impact.

*notable because blunt (warhammer, requires animal), edged (pick, axe, spear, sword), dodge(lowest-roller minecart), armor (attacking with improper weapon, though requires animal) can all be micro-trained without sparring or repeating spears.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48471 on: September 23, 2016, 08:03:55 am »

Journal of Minesly

Finally, having taken over the brewing myself, we have drink! Potato wine, not from a real dwarven underground farm, and brewed in the open and polluted by rainwater, so disgusting bilge at best, but it's a step towards civilisation for this hole in the ground nonetheless! Ah, summer. Wonder if the crew will be able to spend winter indoors... oh right. Just as we're setting up some bedrooms, a pack of hungry migrants arrive. And leading them is a fucking fish dissector. We made the last fish cleaner a herbalist because he wasn't up to the job, obviously, how kind of the capital to send us someone truly skilled in the art of cutting up pond turtles and shellfish. Still, a weaponsmith arrived... not too shabby, either. All is grand, apart from the lack of chairs, cooked food and the horrifying presence of lungfish where you least expect them.

Two of the children migrants are always playing make-believe on the exact spot the wagon dropped them off on, only leaving it to eat and drink. Perhaps they hope someone will take them back to the mountainhome away from this rainy and primitive pit, so they can speak to their fifty close relatives, all of whom they claim to miss dearly. Don't I know the feeling.

~Dobar Cudgelcarry, Expedition Leader
One wheel short of a wagon

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #48472 on: September 23, 2016, 08:25:33 am »

They probably work on shield training* as well, though I'd guess "still work" need not apply to 43.04 due neck twisting on impact.

*notable because blunt (warhammer, requires animal), edged (pick, axe, spear, sword), dodge(lowest-roller minecart), armor (attacking with improper weapon, though requires animal) can all be micro-trained without sparring or repeating spears.

Oh, right. Shields work as well. Forgot about that.

To wit, there are certain size thresholds that make limb/skin pulling blows from spear traps much less damaging, if not impossible, though those are passed only from very large creatures, like the larger animal men. I hypothesize there are also skill and attribute thresholds as well, but these, I think, would require an already highly skilled dwarf, if not a skilled vampire.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48473 on: September 23, 2016, 12:44:10 pm »

My plan of infecting invading captives with werecurse just failed.

Incredibly, siegers are NOT HOSTILE against werecursed and transformed sieger of their own specie  >:(
Dammit! I will need to capture more animal men and infect them only to infect invaders..... this is getting annoying.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48474 on: September 23, 2016, 01:15:29 pm »

I keep forgetting that reanimating biomes are functionally unplayable until Toady fixes the unkillable unhittable "head hair" zombies, or DFHack ever gets around to updating for the latest version.  Another promising fort lost to stupidity.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48475 on: September 23, 2016, 01:33:10 pm »

use dfhack command "exterminate undead" to get rid of your troubling hairs.

don't let neither bugs nor hair defeat you!
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48476 on: September 23, 2016, 01:36:55 pm »

After embarking in a temperate biome, I was surprised to see insect colonies everywhere, including honeybees! The last time I played, honeybees rarely appeared in anything but warm climates. As someone who likes beekeeping and icy winters, I was continually bouncing back and forth between forts that had one or the other. I was quite happy to see that the bug has been resolved! Now I get to have my honey-sweetened cake and eat it, too!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48477 on: September 23, 2016, 01:47:44 pm »

use dfhack command "exterminate undead" to get rid of your troubling hairs.

don't let neither bugs nor hair defeat you!

Yes, I'm playing .43.05, which has no DFHack until the stars are finally aligned and lethosor is able to conjure it forth.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48478 on: September 23, 2016, 02:02:52 pm »

Well, seems like you are out of luck :)

News from my fort:
My tavern must be the only tavern in existence, because I have 20 visitng bards, poets and dancers, not to mention 20 more entertainers who joined my fort.

Now, no tavern can call itself a proper dwarvish tavern without a resident succubi dancer, I know.
But the game world must be really brutal outside of my fort if I have most of the artists in existence enjoying drinks here.

Anyone experienced this issue? I would like them to go home or wherever else and stop that revelry.
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48479 on: September 23, 2016, 02:50:40 pm »

A cat and a gelder heading to the farmer's workshop.  Once the cat and the gelder reach the farmer's workshop the cat scratches the gelder in the head and runs off.  The gelder is splayed out completely unconscious on the floor.

Cat 1 Gelder 0
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3230 3231 [3232] 3233 3234 ... 3835