Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3231 3232 [3233] 3234 3235 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787304 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48480 on: September 23, 2016, 03:46:24 pm »

Lol!  The cat must have seen "the implement", and said " $#&@ that!" And run off.

As for my fort...  Steel synthesis from the smelting efficiency exploit is painfully slow. Only up to 20 bars from 1 bar. 

Army still has no armor. Nor armor training for that matter.  Armed only with wooden training weapons.

Plains titan appears.  Enormous quadroped made of.... Steam?

Thankfully it is made of pathetically weak material. One "adequate" axe dwarf decapitates it in one blow.

Need to expedite smelting exploit steel synthesis. Trade liaison reports 5 settlements captured this year. Greenskins will surely come to visit soon. Will invest some of the bars to make anvils for more forges.

Scribes still not copying books.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48481 on: September 23, 2016, 04:23:13 pm »

I have were-rat infestation when my goal is to make food and sell them, so these filthy infection needs to go away. 

Would it be better to give them picks and dig themselves to destruction, or greatness separate from the community, or skip all that and find magma to dip in instead?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48482 on: September 23, 2016, 04:32:31 pm »

unless toady fixed it, weredwarves will never die of starvation or hunger, because the shapeshift resets all injuries and timers.

so, maroon them on the surface, far away from the fortress. or, assign them to explore sealed off caverns.

If you want to play with the circus, the should make good warriors.

Create individual cells for them in the sealed off caverns for them to regenerate in.
Then, create a raising bridge based airlock on the candy cane.
The were dwarves can mine the candy, and send it into the fortress using an air locked minecart.
When the circus is uncorked, the can fight the clowns until seriously injured.
They can then be stationed in the recovery cells for a month of downtime.
After the monthly issue happens, They are all healed, and can play with the clowns some more.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:40:50 pm by wierd »

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48483 on: September 23, 2016, 11:59:54 pm »

After building few section of wall on the surface, my dwarves went back to tavern, and:

Edit:
And my bookkeeper is a historical figure, first of her kind.
She discovered a secrets and many sciences as a first in the world, many sciences independently and authored over 20 books before migrating.

I just realized that she would be better to work as a schoolar.. x(
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 01:11:04 am by Evans »
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48484 on: September 24, 2016, 05:39:17 am »

New game.
The founder was killed in a bar fight.
Another dwarf drank himself to death.
There were green piles of vomit on the floor.
And there were no guests.

So I removed the tavern. ::)

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48485 on: September 24, 2016, 08:51:46 am »

I am browsing through the legends mode now.

It seems that the only large army on the move is 4222 strong goblin army.

The typical population sites rarely have more than 20 individuals, which would make my fort of 70 + 30 visitors a huge and bustling metropolis by comparison.

And it seems that my local area is subject to near constant warfare - there are at least 12 sieges per year.

Surprisingly, sometimes a singular attacker/defender is enough to win the site.

And nagas are interesting. There are two warring civs of nagas in my game - one is pure naga civ, the other has a large mix of wolf and bear and lion men in it.
Pure Race nagas seem to be constantly besieging - and loosing - to mixed race naga civ.

With each passing day I am more and more tempted to go adventuring.

4222 strong goblin army. That is something I would love to encounter. Arrows diped in cave spider poison would come handy with deciding the outcome.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48486 on: September 25, 2016, 03:45:02 am »

In the winter of 257, my fortresses, Powerfinger, was going incredibly well. All my 140 dwarfs had high-quality bedrooms, my tavern was legendary(and for citizens only at present), and i was churning out steel weapons and armor for my growing military. My dwarfs were busy building a vast system of pumps to transport water 80z from the 2nd cavern(i had half-built it by the time i discovered the first cavern), to my main fortress, as well as the vast number of windmills needed to power it. The only deaths had been a two year old(killed by a hill titan), and a spear-dwarf(dodged into an underground lake while killing crundles). But then disaster struck.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I ordered everyone inside and sent my older, more experienced military squad against her. They were only moderately skilled, but they were well equipped and they had managed to kill a hill titan and a forgotten beast(made of coral), with no losses(except the two year old). As such i expected a victory, if a difficult one. But the dragon cared not for my expectations and killed all nine soldiers i sent against her, with only minor injuries to herself. She then proceeded to set the forest on fire, a disaster as i have no coal and my magma sea is 160z levels down(though not as much as i expected, as most of the trees survived with only minor charring)

My trade deport(and 1/5th of my fortresses wealth) went up in smoke, but a far greater catastrophe was the loss of my wind-farm. This wind-farm, which powered not only the future water pumps but also several mine-cart railways, contained more windmills than i have dwarfs. Fortunately, the power-supply system underneath suffered only minor damage, so rebuilding it should be quicker than starting from scratch.

Having destroyed the surface, the dragon proceeded to kick down Powerfingers front door(which took surprisingly long), but by the time  she got broke through i had built cage traps in the entrance hallway, which locked her up to be disposed of on my terms.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48487 on: September 25, 2016, 09:12:50 am »

Journal of Minesly,

Autumn. Our food stores are brimming with nearly one thousand meals for twelve dwarves. All fruit and vegetables, sadly, not proper food, but a variety of booze and plenty of it, which is the main thing. Miners are being sent to exploit the opposite hill, but are only mining out the surface ore deposits. All is... oh holy Armok, a one-eyed kobold thief just arrived! And he has a dagger! And no trousers! Quick, give him whatever he asks for! We have nothing of value anyway! Give him ore! Give him cherry wine! Give him my trousers! There's two! We'll be massacred!

...oh, they're running, pursued by those dogs we brought with us. Right. So that's fine then. And the outpost liason just missed them, which was lucky, want to make a good impression on... oh great Bembul, he's a goblin? Ugh. I had to conduct the meeting in my bedroom too, the new book-keeper's office hadn't been finished yet.

"The world is the same as ever" - yeah, right. More likely his childsnatching kind have overrun the mountainhome. Oh well, time to trade.
One wheel short of a wagon

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #48488 on: September 25, 2016, 03:49:04 pm »

Journal of Minesly,

Autumn. Our food stores are brimming with nearly one thousand meals for twelve dwarves. All fruit and vegetables, sadly, not proper food, but a variety of booze and plenty of it, which is the main thing. Miners are being sent to exploit the opposite hill, but are only mining out the surface ore deposits. All is... oh holy Armok, a one-eyed kobold thief just arrived! And he has a dagger! And no trousers! Quick, give him whatever he asks for! We have nothing of value anyway! Give him ore! Give him cherry wine! Give him my trousers! There's two! We'll be massacred!

...oh, they're running, pursued by those dogs we brought with us. Right. So that's fine then. And the outpost liason just missed them, which was lucky, want to make a good impression on... oh great Bembul, he's a goblin? Ugh. I had to conduct the meeting in my bedroom too, the new book-keeper's office hadn't been finished yet.

"The world is the same as ever" - yeah, right. More likely his childsnatching kind have overrun the mountainhome. Oh well, time to trade.
You must kill that goblin filth, make it look like an accident though...to avoid trouble with the mountainhome. Be a shame if he accidentaly fell into the kiddy keeping pits. :P
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48489 on: September 25, 2016, 05:07:09 pm »

Started a new fort on a terrifying glacier.  Had everything going well... right up until a troll got in somehow and destroyed the floodgate between the underground sea and my farm.  Fucking trolls.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Commando Alex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48490 on: September 25, 2016, 05:17:07 pm »

Just got this, How long do you think I've got?
90 Zombies and 4 Necromancers?
Just another day at Dwarf Fortress.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:19:42 pm by Commando Alex »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48491 on: September 25, 2016, 09:51:34 pm »

Probably not very long :P  I juste encountered something similar.

I was thinking aw 10 soldiers with iron weapons vs a horde of 40 or 50 zombies?  Easy peazy.

Then I discovered these are fantasy zombies fantasy zombies come armed and armored.   Well fudge.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48492 on: September 26, 2016, 03:11:57 am »

Your fortresses will last a lot longer than it would have back before the zombie nerf, back then you would be lucky if you managed to kill one of them, now you should be able to kill a good chunk of them, if not all.

Meanwhile, my fortresses had just managed to rebuild the wind farm when a goblin siege arrived. Fortunately there only 16 of them, and no trolls, so i locked them outside and built a trap corridor. However by the time i had finished the trap corridor 10 had decided to leave, and when the first of the remaining 6 stepped into the trap the other 5 promptly retreated as well. The only death from all this was a dwarf who got lost outside and a ram who got shot by the bowgoblins.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48493 on: September 26, 2016, 09:42:58 am »

Saguaro, Saguaro everywhere...
The desert became heavily forested thank to them. ::)
And I also got a vast underground mushroom forest.
The metal smith should be pleased.

But the map didn't have any useful metal ore...just goblinite.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48494 on: September 26, 2016, 11:37:18 am »

Things are quaint in the small-as-I-can-make-it fortress of Smallhomes. The military proved itself against the first goblin siege, and as a fallout from that the hospital functionality was tested with the few dwarves that took some minor injuries.

Meanwhile there's been a series of mysterious deaths in the fortress. Mostly with dwarves in & around the all visitors tavern, so the potential culprit is pretty obvious. I've reduced the booze stockpile size in the tavern to help with the problem. Two of my own dwarves died this mysterious way without any sort of indication or combat log. A goblin was also found in the tavern with its head quite a few tiles away. I don't think they were from the siege, but I can't be so sure.

There were also two minecart accidents one with a cat and one with a dwarf. The dwarf should recover, the cat was not so lucky. The minecarts in Smallhomes are the QSP variety where they never actually move, so I don't know what the source of the injury is, but I set up the traffic designations so dwarves will avoid the potentially dangerous tiles.

Otherwise I have all of the industries implemented including beekeeping (finally got some honeybees) and most of the dwelling are at Grand or better status. I need to get my hands on some gold for statues and other decorations to make everything Royal for an eventual King/Queen. I still need a siege workshop actually, but it's just a matter of where I want to put it. An interesting quirk/space issue to figure out is it seems like libraries/temples/inns overlapping with nobility office was seemingly causing problems in terms of using storage. So I wasn't getting anything stored in my library now. I used an area that could have housed a 2nd forge (which I don't really need) to store the bookcases & other library stuff so that solved that issue in a nice compact way.
Pages: 1 ... 3231 3232 [3233] 3234 3235 ... 3835