Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3232 3233 [3234] 3235 3236 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787053 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48495 on: September 26, 2016, 11:48:07 am »

Stationary minecarts hitting dwarves - even when moved away - was the reason I joined the bay12. I still don't understand it - and by extension, minecarts. (hence my avatar)

Though note that you can dodge into a minecart and get hurt (damned keas), so there's at least that.

To date, I've previously heard of this happening in ConstructIvory tower succession.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48496 on: September 26, 2016, 11:55:07 am »

Ghost just battered somebody. (Seeing as it was a brewer that was battered, does that make it beer battered dwarf?)

Scribes REFUSE to copy books, only read them. I assigned a whole platoon of these beady eyed, bearded bafoons, and all they want to do is READ the books rather than copy them.

The steel smelting exploit goes well. Over 100 bars now.  Soon will have enough to make armor and weapons for the military.

Sold off old worn clothes to the gullible human merchant caravan.

Not much else at the moment.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48497 on: September 26, 2016, 12:51:38 pm »

An interesting quirk/space issue to figure out is it seems like libraries/temples/inns overlapping with nobility office was seemingly causing problems in terms of using storage. So I wasn't getting anything stored in my library now. I used an area that could have housed a 2nd forge (which I don't really need) to store the bookcases & other library stuff so that solved that issue in a nice compact way.

There was a bug in .43.03 that caused this, it was corrected in .43.04 - sadly, that was the first of the "no DFHack yet" patches.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48498 on: September 26, 2016, 01:32:41 pm »

Hmm, fortress is stuck in a time loop.  Zombie horde arrives 1 in game day after the seasonal autosave. Runs into a few traps outside the fortress and causes a crash.  Soundsense and gamelog seems to indicate the serrated disk traps are only hitting twice(instead of the usual 3 times) indicating the crash is somehow caused by the trap's 3rd attack against the zombies.

I have no time to disassemble the traps nor make the path crossing them invalid.  The entrance is too close to the map edge.  Military sent out into the field simply ends in defeat, as the mountain's copper is no match for the zombies iron without disabling from pain being an option.  Each time a zombie hits a trap the game ends.

It's like some kind of messed up dwarven Undertale.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48499 on: September 26, 2016, 02:01:19 pm »

The weapon's breaking, that's what happening. Don't use weapon traps till that's fixed, I guess?

As for fixing it, send military against them to buy time and wall up so that zombies don't have path to living creatures.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48500 on: September 26, 2016, 03:39:59 pm »

An interesting quirk/space issue to figure out is it seems like libraries/temples/inns overlapping with nobility office was seemingly causing problems in terms of using storage. So I wasn't getting anything stored in my library now. I used an area that could have housed a 2nd forge (which I don't really need) to store the bookcases & other library stuff so that solved that issue in a nice compact way.

There was a bug in .43.03 that caused this, it was corrected in .43.04 - sadly, that was the first of the "no DFHack yet" patches.

I'm on .43.05, the patch note:

Stopped storage from always failing in the second tavern/library/temple you define

Is a different issue. I don't have a problem with multiple taverns/libraries/temples.

The problem seems to be that dwarven offices seem to take ownership of the storage items. So when I define a library over an office the bookshelves & chests there won't get stocked up with goods.

Though it's possible there's more science to be done there, my hospital/tavern/noble dining rooms seem to fare better and the chests there are stocked with goods.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:41:31 pm by Slogo »

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48501 on: September 26, 2016, 04:04:16 pm »

Strange things happen to my werebreeding programme.

Initial curse giver whom I set free for unknown reasons returned back and jumped right into my traps.

I have discovered that passing curse on non-historical creatures does little good - that fact isn't even noted in legends. Odd, one would think that a creature infected by a werecurse would rather count towards being recorded in history.

So now I managed to obtain some siegers who are historical. One is even a duke consort - I just succeeded in passing the curse on him.
Now I wonder what will happen after he gets back to his duchy. I hope that *something* will happen!
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48502 on: September 26, 2016, 04:27:05 pm »

Fortress has been rescued from the time loop.  However the citizens may have preferred it otherwise.   

Zombies overran the fortress's defenders and reached the entry hall just shortly after the last trap causing the time loop was disabled.  The civilians didn't stand a chance.

I sent a previous retired adventurer over to clear the fort of zombies but only found it populated by antmen and some merchants that apparently didn't get the memo about the place being wrecked.  Antmen exterminated, the adventurer took a couple choice baubles for adventurer tax, and built a small house outside the fortress limits and re-retired.

Fortress cleared of threats the reclaim party travels to the site to rebuild.    Looks like the entirety of the first few seasons is going to be spent hauling corpses and figuring out what do do with the merchant squatters that won't leave.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48503 on: September 26, 2016, 09:00:26 pm »

My natural cavern fortress, Crypttests, became the Mountainhome of its kingdom in the third year of its existence. The city has evolved from a small locale dug into the very deepest cavern valley to a bustling metropolis thriving upon exported gold items. A home to artists, philosophers, and writers of all species. It has weathered only two sieges in its years from the nearby necromancer's tower, both stymied by the dwarves' careful use of the caverns and their ability to resculpt them and engineer elaborate defenses.

It's no great wonder that the King and Queen have elected to make Crypttests the new capital! Given that they have fourteen children, it's expected that their dynasty should occupy the city's throne for some time. The only other noble in the city, Baroness Amost, was the original expedition leader who wisely used the caverns and the unicorns revered by their people against the master necromancer. She founded the city, but nearing two hundred years of age, her death is expected before long.

Due to the many great walls erected in the depths by the dwarves, several forgotten beasts have either suffered great difficulty in reaching the city or never could at all. One in particular failed to do so for nearly three years, and instead massacred every living thing it came across outside of the walls. At long last, it was vanquished by a creature Crypttests had considered to be an early and frequent pest. Indeed, the fearsome beast was evidently strangled ... by a crundle. The once-pests are now honored in the city, with one even depicted in a gold statue.

Now, Crypttests heads into a new age! The avaricious monarchs have set the dwarves on the search for adamantite, and in the doing, they may inadvertently invite demonic forces through their defenses. Either way, their digging deeper is dangerous, as being at the very depths of the caverns places them closer than they think to the horrors of Hell.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:19:25 pm by Akoto »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48504 on: September 27, 2016, 09:26:12 am »

Bronzeblots enters its third year.  Although there have been a few unfortunate deaths due to the seemingly ineradicable undead yeti problem, for the most part the fortress is going well.  But there are rumors...

When we first arrived here on the Ice of Drool, there were some hard times.  Due to the rigors of the journey, we ended up here with no food or drink, just a wagon, an anvil and two worn out oxen.  Nobody will forget the look on Sarvesh' face when we dropped the anvil in the Swamp of Suffering!  I'm glad he went back for it now, though; it made the forges possible, and he's made good use of that anvil in the years since!  Those of you sitting on or wearing his masterworks can attest to that.

The first year was hard.  Damn hard.  Getting through the ice was a bit challenging; if there hadn't been water and plants in the first cavern... well, let's just say we might not be here.  Having anything that dies here get up and move doesn't make for friendly neighbors, either.  We managed to get some fields established, though, and little by little more of us made the harrowing journey across the ice to help out.

Now we have a huge, prosperous fort... the deep mines are bringing up gold in abundance, the upper levels are full of iron, copper and silver.  We have a bronze colossus in a cage in the zoo.  Everything seems good.

But... where was the outpost liaison?

Where did our caravan go?

We are isolated.  Sometimes that can be good but sometimes... well, sometimes not.  Only time will tell I suppose.  Back to work.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48505 on: September 27, 2016, 09:48:05 am »

Hm, did Bronzebolts rely on visitors/migrants to bring a pick, I take it? Or did you restart till you got 20 dwarves with one mooding into bonecarver for a pick?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48506 on: September 27, 2016, 11:51:11 am »

LOL no the miner had a pick, it's true.  I always forget that's considered a separate tool and not just "equipment".

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48507 on: September 28, 2016, 01:03:02 am »

I burrowed everyone outside to green the desert ground with vomit, when...

The Forgotten Beast Zabip Gucemeslo Tilesh Bakki has come!  A gigantic humanoid composed of vomit.  It has large mandibles and it squirms and fidgets.  Beware its poisonous vapors!

Edit*

Lost 4 dwarves fighting it. All were weapon lords.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:20:17 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48508 on: September 28, 2016, 02:07:36 am »

Those vapours can be dangerous, still, at least your desert should be green now.

Powerfinger has managed to finish the carven water pump(though not before an engraver had managed to drown herself). I have also built a library, and we finally discovered the magma sea(and candy), 185z levels down!. The Magma pump might take longer to build than i thought. We almost starved to death, as the farms were'nt running properly because all the seeds were destroyed in the dragon attack,  but the dwarven caravans arrived and sold us enough food to last till the humans show up next summer.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48509 on: September 28, 2016, 04:23:05 am »

Just noticed a scholar was a legendary crutch walker. ::)
I dumped his old wooden crutch when he was sleeping, and the doctor gave him a steel one.

Those vapours can be dangerous

Yeah, didn't have any marksdwarves.
The syndrome was terrible. The doctors tried to save them by removing rotten tissues, but failed. The hospital was blood bathed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:26:22 am by Libash_Thunderhead »
Pages: 1 ... 3232 3233 [3234] 3235 3236 ... 3835