Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3233 3234 [3235] 3236 3237 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5840639 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #48510 on: September 28, 2016, 05:16:10 am »

At least it's not the other kind of syndrome, the kind where you think it is harmless and it gets spread around the fortress, but then...

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48511 on: September 28, 2016, 04:54:20 pm »

Just realized thanks to Legends mode that the bronze colossus which is in my zoo in Bronzeblots has been an enemy of my civ for quite some time.  It's the same one that destroyed Knowledgetrumpets back in year 5 of the current calendar.  It's the same one that destroyed Lancedsides in 93, and Humorfigures in 95.

You realize what this means, of course.  Now I'm going to have to kill it and send the statue back to the Mountainhomes as tribute.

EDIT: It dropped a statue of forgotten beasts.  Appropriate, I guess.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 05:54:04 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48512 on: September 28, 2016, 07:50:45 pm »

Almost ready to launch a large and doubtless FPS-destroying stupid dwarf trick so I can call this fort completed.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48513 on: September 28, 2016, 10:47:07 pm »

What happened to the forgotten beast.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48514 on: September 29, 2016, 12:40:15 am »

Got attacked by a fairly small goblin siege(about 30), but my military is still too weak to face it, so i upgraded my trap corridor and then let them in. I now have about a dozen caged goblins sitting in my animal stockpile. I have started taming crundles, just to get my animal trainers skilled up. I was also attacked by a web-spewing organic forgotten beast. I managed to wall it out with no losses, but i've lost acess to the 2nd and 3rd cavern layers. 

edit

I managed to cave in the beast with little difficulty, since it seemed to be stuck trying to break down a door.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:03:55 am by Henry47 »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48515 on: September 29, 2016, 12:50:38 am »

1. Too many dogs. So I slaughtered some of them. Then I found a ☼prepared dog lung roast[613]☼
2. I decided to move all bed to cavern layer 3 so dorfs could have more fun.
3. Legendary woodcutter trapped himself on a cliff, and the rescue mission went south because a forgotten beast decided to show up, and I had already recruited the legendary miner. The new miner decided it was good time to sleep. The woodcutter died right before the new miner reached him.
4. Goblin siege. They didn't even got past my weapon traps.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48516 on: September 29, 2016, 04:48:06 am »

The replacing of wooden bridges with sturdier granite led to the drowning of several idiots drowning in the river no matter how close the ramp they were standing on was.  ::)
On a very related note I'd like to congratulate our new CMD.

A mason also just fell off of a perfectly stable bridge presumably of sheer stupidity.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48517 on: September 29, 2016, 05:41:01 am »

They might be attacked by the lampreys in the river, Santa, or perhaps scared by something. If they dodge, it generates no combat report.
1. Too many dogs. So I slaughtered some of them. Then I found a ☼prepared dog lung roast[613]☼
How did you accomplish this? To my knowledge, mass-cooking is only possible with milk or powder.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48518 on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:02 am »

They might be attacked by the lampreys in the river, Santa, or perhaps scared by something. If they dodge, it generates no combat report.
How did you accomplish this? To my knowledge, mass-cooking is only possible with milk or powder.
And quarry bush leaves. It just means dog lung is the first ingredient.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48519 on: September 29, 2016, 05:58:43 am »

The first bunch were caused by them deciding to stand on the old timber bridges while someone else was deconstructing.

My only theory on the mason (who fell in long after all de/construction was finished was that the bridge he was on was super crowded and he somehow tried to step around someone and fell off. And then of course completely failed to use the ramp two spaces away.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48520 on: September 29, 2016, 10:53:25 am »

Some fire imps decided to surprise me. Killed them with only minimal bruising but a bit later found a wave of fire engulfing the embark... Which seemed strange since I don't remember a fireball going off in the direction the fire was coming from.

Suffice to say since I was still digging out storage most of my stuff was still topside. Thankfully barrels apparently don't burn so my food didn't get wiped out, really only lost some wood and my cloth/leather.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48521 on: September 29, 2016, 11:00:34 am »

I have 3 Weremouse in separate rooms, each with a pick so they can dig down in between transformations. 

The first 2 weremouse are infected by the first encounter. 

The 3rd weremouse was infected by a 2nd weremouse infecting a merchant who turned weremouse who bites the 3rd.

I plan to experiment.

1. Put the first 2 weremouse in the same room, and see if they are non-hostile to each other, or will they kill each other?

2. Find a way to introduce an injured dwarf (lost a lung, I think) to be bitten by the 3rd weremouse. 
Would giving metal armor help survive bites, or will leather armor suffice?

This is v43.05 where leather cloaks gets shredded.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48522 on: September 29, 2016, 11:18:52 am »

Iirc, wiki suggests coating the floor in cage traps, so that the dwarf, when knocked out by weremoose biting, will fall in one, becoming unreachable.

As well as doing it late into the full moon.

Maybe armour the body and leave arms-legs free?

But first, check if the weremice can keep wearing armour.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48523 on: September 29, 2016, 11:31:06 am »

Having werebeast isolated in a separate area is like playing hermit challenge.

First, Stone Detailing seems straight forward to keep them busy in between full moon.

Then, Mining when given a pick.  This leads to plenty of possibilities other than exploratory digs or finding magma. 

I think getting legendary miner will give them that military skill at least while not in werebeast form. 

After reaching legendary miner, have them train weaponless combat off cavern wildlife.

Or maybe, make them scholars after a while.  Let them ponder on things, and write books if they have not destroyed the bookcase and chest.

« Reply #48524 on: September 29, 2016, 01:54:22 pm »

A savannah titan attacked. RNG was good, just a simple quadruped with a poisonous bite.

But then... migrants arrived, the titan beelined over to them, and killed them as they entered the map. A speardwarf I sent out killed the titan in one shot but now I have 25 dead dwarves piled up and a bunch of dwarves who are suffering from the emotional shock of seeing all the viscera scattered throughout the valley.
Pages: 1 ... 3233 3234 [3235] 3236 3237 ... 3836